Spam-Hunters??

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: Spam-Hunters??

Postby Goblinoid Games » Mon May 23, 2011 1:25 am

Blood axe wrote:Maybe the actual registration process can be changed to make it more difficult for spammers to join.

I'm open to suggestions...
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Dyson Logos » Mon May 23, 2011 2:09 am

One of the simplest is a quick math question in addition to the CAPTCHA (Like: What is 3+6?). Since no part of the question can be used as the answer, it defeats all non-manual spammers.

That said, a portion of the modern spam-fleets out there are manual spammers, paid pennies in third world countries to bypass your security precautions.

Any REAL security (like requiring a period of time between registration and activation, or even worse, the "manual approval" process) results in chasing away honest-to-goodness users.

The other option is to upgrade a few users to police and prune the userbase as needed.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Blood axe » Mon May 23, 2011 2:14 am

Im a member of several gaming forums(5 or 6) and I have never seen so many spammers like on here. I havent seen alot of spam posts here- but alot of fake accounts/members. Almsot every day I see another fake member. This is not an insult, just what I see.
I really like this forum, I think its one of the best around. Id like to keep it that way. :D
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Goblinoid Games » Mon May 23, 2011 2:20 am

My feeling is most spammers are manual who come here, but I can't be sure. I'm thankful we have few spam posts but yeah the number of spammers registering is frustrating. I'll see if a math problem can be added.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Dyson Logos » Mon May 23, 2011 2:25 am

Blood axe wrote:Im a member of several gaming forums(5 or 6) and I have never seen so many spammers like on here. I havent seen alot of spam posts here- but alot of fake accounts/members. Almsot every day I see another fake member. This is not an insult, just what I see.
I really like this forum, I think its one of the best around. Id like to keep it that way. :D

I've been on several fora over the years that actually collapsed under the weight of spammers. The big fora use teams of moderators to keep spam in check.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Aelwe » Mon May 23, 2011 7:51 pm

My account has been deleted again. I wonder, is there something suspicious with my nickname :lol: I know I don't post very often, but still it's curious.
"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp. Or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning
"Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë!" J.R.R. Tolkien. Quenta Silmarillion
Aelwe

Postby Goblinoid Games » Tue May 24, 2011 3:24 am

Aelwe wrote:My account has been deleted again. I wonder, is there something suspicious with my nickname :lol: I know I don't post very often, but still it's curious.

Ack!!!! :(

Sorry about that...I won't do it again!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby tumblingdice » Tue May 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Maybe, besides or instead of a math question, we could require new users to answer some geeky old-school RPG trivia question.:D
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby Goblinoid Games » Tue May 24, 2011 3:24 pm

FYI I managed to install a math captcha so I'm hoping that has an impact on spammer bots registering.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby 3llense'g » Tue May 24, 2011 5:00 pm

tumblingdice wrote:Maybe, besides or instead of a math question, we could require new users to answer some geeky old-school RPG trivia question.:D

Man, I would fail that so hard! :D
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion