Turgenev's Map Thread

This forum is for sharing your maps, and map making tips or ideas.

Re: Turgenev's Map Thread

Postby monk » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:55 pm

These are sweet maps, Tim. I particularly like the castle and the howling caves. Thanks for sharing!

Monk
Thurwin the Bibliophile, 1st level Fighter (Stonehell)

http://wizardsmutantslaserpistols.blogspot.com/
monk

Postby Turgenev » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:29 pm

Glad you liked them, Monk. I have many more. I just have to go through my various folders and sort them out.

Here is one I did a couple years ago for a Greyhawk campaign.

Click to enlarge.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:21 pm

And here's a Hobgoblin lair I used for my campaign. Click to enlarge.

Notes: Areas 61 - 66 are an ancient Cynidicean tomb which predates the hobgoblins' occupancy of the lair.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:23 pm

The PCs in my campaign acquired a skyship (a flying ship powered by a Magic-User). Click to enlarge.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby petespahn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:02 am

That ship looks great. I have skyships in my Chronicles of Amherth campaign setting. They were created by an order of magic users who are waging a war against an order of dragonriding knights. I was going to ask if you've ever done ships. I have an idea for a water-based adventure I plan to publish in the future. Really like that Greyhawksian map as well.
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby jackel » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:23 pm

I love the sky ship. I have always loved sky ships. How are you running them?
jackel

Postby Turgenev » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:09 pm

In my campaign, skyships were created by The Celestial Kingdom which is a magocracy. They had a monopoly on the construction and enchantment of skyships. Eventually the High Elves of the Forest Kingdom started growing their own liftwood which led to open warfare between the two kingdoms. While the High Elves of the Forest Kingdom took heavy casualties and a portion of the forest was burnt to the ground, the High Elves were able to call in allies (Sky Elves and their Aerii (bird-men) allies, Grey Elves with their Atlantean allies, and even some human allies). More about the Celestial -Elven War can be found here.

As for my rules on skyships, here's what I have:

Skyships can only fly within the atmosphere (they do not have their own air supply), but there are rumours that specially crafted Skyships have been to the moons and back. The Celestial Kingdom neither deny or confirm these rumours. Skyships are made from a rare wood called liftwood that can only be found within the borders of the Celestial Kingdom. The natural properties of this wood make them naturally lighter than air. The liftwood trees grow to gargantuan heights and once a limb is broken/cut off the tree, it will float upwards unless restrained.

Skyships consist of vessels of all sort of sizes and shapes depending on the vessel's purpose (from small caravels to grandiose galleons). The majority of these vessels appear as standard sailing ships, but an inspection inside would reveal the skyhelm that is need to power these ships. Skyhelms are ornate throne-like seats that are bolted to the ship. Once a special magical ritual is performed on an inert skyhelm, it becomes enchanted and active, ready for a magic-user to power the ship for flight. Once a ship has bonded with its 'Master' (re: the Magic-User who pilots the ship) it will not work with any other Magic-Users unless the previous master is dead or has released the ship from its service (once released, the MU may not re-bond with the ship).

When used on the sea, these ships use the appropriate water movement rates for a vessel of the same class (i.e. a Skyship galleon behaves like a normal galleon when travelling on water). When travelling in the air, use the following formula to determine its airspeed:

(INT + Level) x 10 = air speed in mph

For example, an 8th Level magic-user with an intelligence of 16 could power a skyship to move at an airpseed of 230 mph.

The statistics for Skyships break down as follows (I've been using the format used in Spelljammer):

Tonnage:
Crew:
Maneuverability Class (MC):
Armour Rating (AR):
Hull Points (HP):
Saving Throw:
Keel Length (KL):
Beam Length (BL):
Standard Armament (SA):
Ram:
Landing:
Land –
Water –

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:13 pm

Speaking of ships. Here's another one I did. Click to enlarge.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Here are a few mega-dungeons I've done. Click to enlarge.

Note: The central area rotates to allow access to the various sections of the dungeon.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:48 pm

Here's a new dungeon. Click to enlarge.

Notes: Room 1 has an illusionary wall between areas 'a' and 'b'. The secret door between Rooms 4 & 5 is one-way only. Room 25 has a long open pit that connects rooms 23 & 26. A bridge crosses the long pit. Personally, I view the bridge as being rickety and having no hand rails, but it is ultimately up to the DM to decide. Rooms 27 & 31 have arrow slits in the walls facing the open pit corridor/bridge.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

PreviousNext

Return to Maps and Map Making