Level of Detail/Background Information in modules.

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Level of Detail/Background Information in modules.

Postby Ironbeaver » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:07 pm

I'm currently working on a few things that, if finished I'll release to the internets for free.

One of the things that keeps stalling/distracting me is the LEVEL OF DETAIL about individual encounter areas.
Example: A 20x30 room with a raised platform at one end. A robot emerges and does a routine and then tries to prevent the party from leaving, defending itself if attacked. Do you think it's necessary to include info about how the room WAS a sales display/demonstration for military gear and the robot demonstrator is now completely crazy because it hasn't sold it's quota in over 500 years?

Simplified question: How much information about what things WERE do you actually want or need?
Ironbeaver

Re: Level of Detail/Background Information in modules.

Postby Wizardawn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 am

Selling the quota might be "too much" but the rest is what I like about a room description in a post-apocalyptic game. If the "selling quota" thing adds flavor, or provides a clue on how to get past the robot without a fight, I would probably just put it in some maintenance log in the desk drawer. Maybe you will get some mixed answers here, but when I play a game like this I like being to the point with things like rooms explored and even items found...

"You find a battered toaster that still seems like it could work."

...as opposed to...

"You find an ancient robot that may have run on electrical power. It is shaped like a small box, has a switch on the side, and seems to be built with two mouths."

...some people like the opposite and play their characters like 21st century ignorant explorers. I find the people I have played these types of games with can't help but meta-game this stuff. I guess that is why game authors created the technology rolls/tree to provide a game mechanic for a mutant human to figure out how to use the toaster.
Wizardawn

Re: Level of Detail/Background Information in modules.

Postby bighara » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:29 pm

When I am writing, my tendency is toward including things like the quota background fluff (which is great, btw). While it is true that the players rarely, if ever, figure/find this stuff out, the GMs can use the information to help ground the adventure in terms of understanding a bit more of the WHY behind an encounter.

Of course, the main reason is that it amuses me to write it. :) The current MF module I am working on (Yes, another one. It's nearly ready for playtesting) for Faster Monkey has a lot of this kind of stuff in it. Some of it actually contains important clues for the players, some is just goofy. IMO, Mutant Future is a good game for not taking things TOO seriously sometimes.

When including things like this, the trick is to do it concisely (not my best thing, as just reading this post can tell you). Fortunately, when I am writing something for publication, Mr. Joel and I can bounce ideas off each other to trim the fat somewhat, and the incomparable Editrixie helps tighten the language up considerably. :D
bighara

Return to Mutant Future