LLS Questions

For discussion of the Labyrinth Lord Society, Society events, or anything else Society related.

LLS Questions

Postby Aplus » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:16 pm

So I made the big leap and offered to run a game at a FLGS for Free RPG Day. I was going over some of the LLS materials and noticed a few things:

1. The Orcus Flier mentions the year 2010 being the current year, and it does not mention the Original Edition Characters supplement - only LL and AEC.
2. The distribution flyer seems to only mention softcover books. Is there any way a FLGS could get a few hardcovers to sell aside from paying full retail price on lulu? I can't in good consciousness promote perfectbound books as a viable binding option for an RPG rulebook. They are fine for some things, but this is not one of them. This is only my opinion, but it is one I feel strongly about, and having softcover being the only option for a FLGS would put me in an awkward situation personally.
3. Any ideas for inexpensive goodies to give out to the players? Is goblinoid doing anything for Free RPG Day? I saw in another thread a guy mentioned giving cd-roms of the free version of games, which is a neat idea (cheap thumb drives would be even cooler), but I don't know if that's appropriate for a FLGS, as it might deter a potential book sale. Better to give something that isn't in competition with stuff they might be selling. I'm open to ideas.
4. Does LL have a quick-start rules/adventure combo or something like that? Printed copies of that might make good promotional material as well...
5. If anyone has any advice concerning running demo games, I would love to hear it. I learned quite a bit just by playing in a bunch of games at GaryCon (premade characters are a must, spell reference sheets for every caster, get right to business and give the party a nudge in the right direction at the beginning - big sign saying ADVENTURE THIS WAY!)

This will be my first time ever running a public game, so I'm a bit nervous, and just want to try to make sure I have all the bases covered and am a decent representative of LL and old-school gaming in general. Your help is appreciated!
people them with monsters of various horrid aspect
Aplus

Re: LLS Questions

Postby Goblinoid Games » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Hello!

I need to update the distro flier, but currently the LL core book, AEC, MF, and the module idol of the orcs are in distribution. I have to respectfully disagree that perfect bound books are inappropriate for RPGs, but in either case hard covers are not currently available to retailers. Given the strong personal feelings you mention in your last comment for #2, I assume that means you will not be interested in running demos (and in any case I wouldn't want you feeling awkward). Sorry to hear that, but at this time it can't be helped.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Aplus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:10 am

Not a deal breaker. Perhaps I spoke too strongly. I suppose I shouldn't impose my tastes on others, and just let them decide for themselves.
Aplus

Postby Eldrad » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:20 am

I think a bunch of us should get together and make a FREE demo kit. It should include a really well done adventure and 20 pre-rolled characters. I was going to a con this weekend but life got in the way and I was going to write up a demo LL/AEC adventure with pre-made characters but life got in the way.

SO What say you all? Shall we write up a demo kit?
Eldrad

Postby Aplus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:28 am

I'd be happy to assist. I was kind of thinking the sweet spot would be around 5k xp, which would be 3rd level for everyone except elf (2nd level) and thief (4th level). I was just looking at one-page dungeons from last year to run, or perhaps something from Dyson Logos' site. At any rate, I'll roll up some characters, perhaps a bunch, and post them.
Aplus

Return to Labyrinth Lord Society