Wargs, Skinchangers, Varamyr Sixskins

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Wargs, Skinchangers, Varamyr Sixskins

Postby Blood axe » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Having read the Game of Thrones series more than once, I thought of adding a new class. A Beastmaster of sorts.
He can bond with animals, control them, even "wear" their skins to see through their eyes & use their senses.

I thought this may be mimicked by some spells. Animal Friendship, Find Familiar, Charm, etc.
I have to work on particulars. I dont have any of my books with me.

I want a limit to dedicated animal companions. Varamyr was one of the strongest & only had six.
Also, penalties if an animal is killed.

Any ideas?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: Wargs, Skinchangers, Varamyr Sixskins

Postby Agrippa » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:44 pm

I've had some ideas along those lines. Not as class so much as a campaign feature. The number of monster you control at any one time would be related to the PCs Charisma score of course.
Agrippa

Postby Blood axe » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:10 am

This would be an AEC class. Ill have to work up a rough draft.
Blood axe

Postby Agrippa » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:25 am

Blood axe wrote:This would be an AEC class. Ill have to work up a rough draft.

I'd like to see that.
Agrippa

Postby Blood axe » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:00 am

Im looking at something along the lines of a fusion of Animal Companion & Summon Familiar with Clairaudience/Clairvoyance mixed in.
But no spells, this would be an "ability". Im still kicking around a few ideas.
If you read the Game of Thrones series by George R R Martin, you will know what Im aiming for.
Blood axe

Postby petespahn » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:00 am

Agrippa wrote:I've had some ideas along those lines. Not as class so much as a campaign feature. The number of monster you control at any one time would be related to the PCs Charisma score of course.

That's what I did with my Animal Retainers article in Brave the Labyrinth - Issue #1. Charisma worked the same as for normal retainers. I also worked up rules for advancement, so your animal companion wouldn't be so likely to get nerfed once you level up and starting fighting more powerful monsters. Let me know what you think if you get a chance to check it out. It might make a Beastmaster type class more feasible.

@Blood axe - you keep mentioning six skins. Don't forget about Dar, the ultimate Beastmaster!
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby Blood axe » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:00 am

petespahn wrote:
Agrippa wrote:I've had some ideas along those lines. Not as class so much as a campaign feature. The number of monster you control at any one time would be related to the PCs Charisma score of course.

That's what I did with my Animal Retainers article in Brave the Labyrinth - Issue #1. Charisma worked the same as for normal retainers. I also worked up rules for advancement, so your animal companion wouldn't be so likely to get nerfed once you level up and starting fighting more powerful monsters. Let me know what you think if you get a chance to check it out. It might make a Beastmaster type class more feasible.

@Blood axe - you keep mentioning six skins. Don't forget about Dar, the ultimate Beastmaster!

Of course! Born from a cow!
Blood axe

Return to Open Workshop