Classes in Mutant Future?

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Classes in Mutant Future?

Postby smarttman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:15 pm

I was thinking it might be interesting to have classes in Mutant Future, since Gamma World did have classes for a while. The only problem is I don't really know where to start. How would you do classes for a game of Mutant Future?
smarttman

Re: Classes in Mutant Future?

Postby baran_i_kanu » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:20 pm

http://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com/2012/ ... asses.html

Less Thundarr and more military/Road Warrior types.
Dave B.
http://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com/
baran_i_kanu

Postby baran_i_kanu » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:14 pm

A lot of it depends on what you're looking for I think.
For a Dark Ages type game the Fighter and Thief would work well.
For a bit of Flash Gordon gonzo stuff mix in some things such as the Rocketman here:
http://www.swordsandwizardry.com/forum/ ... a3fc5a8701

To keep up with the other classes (since HP is based on Race not class, and to Hit is across the board) you would have to pump up the Fighter a bit, as I did with Soldier in my military classes, to give that class a bit of edge in combat.
Dave B.
baran_i_kanu

Postby Blood axe » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:57 pm

I'd go really simple.

Warrior - bonus to hit/damage, physical mutations

Mentalist - bonus to mental mutations

Tech - bonus to figure & use tech

Scout - combo thief & ranger

You get the idea.
No level advancement for class, just a bonus.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:53 am

I like the idea of classes...with levels but limited to little or no more hit points, just increases to skills, abilities, and related.

I would take advantage of what we have to work with already...

(any name would work so I will just pick some, but the name is not the issue for me)

Sorcerer (illusionist...I like the idea of using illusions rather than the classic MU spell list)

Scout (ranger...no magic...tracking, traps, fighter skills, survival, etc.)

Pilgrim (cleric...as far as gods participating, that is a curious one...if you have zombies in your version then turning them would be welcome)

Soldier (fighter...they fight with arm and arms)

Seeker (thief...same skills but applied with a different attitude, a finder of lost things...surely there would be straight up thieves also)

Guildsman (assassin...there would be darker elements and this class would cover some of that direction)

Nomad (I would create a template that allows for skills, talents, etc...but if there are classes then mutants should be mutant class...it would open up the door of why to be a pure strain human...they have access to classes...hmmm...after all the mutations themselves offer special actions and opportunity, much like the training or education of the other classes...skills would be more focused towards survival, scavenging, mapping, finding water/resources, etc.)
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby smarttman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:28 am

I actually whipped up some classes really quick. I thought of the types of jobs people would most likely have to do in a post-apocalyptic society, and came up with 6 (one for each attribute)

The bonuses are not extremely big, but they are there for sure. If you want, you can do the Prime Attribute = extra XP thing pretty easily. Also, leave some criticisms if something seems off.

Soldier (Strength): Damage can also be used on ranged weapons, not just melee. They have a 'favored' weapon that always has an additional +1 to hit

Scout (Dexterity): Scavenging and hunting are rolled on a d4, chances of getting lost reduced by half

Lorekeeper (Wisdom): Can do a Wisdom roll 2/day to remember knowledge relevant to the situation

Technician (Intelligence): gets an additional +10% bonus to repair and recognize equipment

Trader (Charisma): Has -2 bonus to hire retainers, gives all retainers a +1 to their morale

Medic (Constitution): Can increase health recovered over night to 1d8. Can also 'spontaneously' heal people for 1d6 health (once per person per 6 hours, takes 30 minutes)
smarttman

Postby baran_i_kanu » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:41 am

good stuff.
heres a thread on it from the old forum, http://www.freeyabb.com/goblinoidgames/ ... inoidgames
Dave B.
baran_i_kanu

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:18 pm

From the same

* Tinkerer - Good at repairs and inventing. Receives a bonus to ID/fix Ancient tech. May be able to create devices at a moment's notice.

* Scavenger - Knows where to go to find any needed item in the junklands. Receives bonuses when scavenging or making trades with traders. May be able to find hidden things and/or find the best routes through Ancient ruins.

* Brute - Is good at hitting things with other things. Trained in hand-to-hand combat. Gets a bonus to hit with close-combat weapons. Can build weapons.

* Marksman - Same as a Brute only with ranged weapons.

* Scholar - Can read Ancient languages and/or knows more of Ancient history than most. May not be able to fix tech, but can more easily tell you what it is, what it does, and how to turn it on. Knows where to go for information. May even know how to use Ancient computers for research.

* Wheelman - Can fix/repair vehicles as well as drive them well. May even start with a small vehicle.

* Medic - Familiar with first aid techniques on biological lifeforms. May know how to use most Ancient medical tech. Can "heal" injuries, allowing characters to regain hit points more quickly.

* Tinkerer - Good at repairs and inventing. A flat 10% bonus to any tech roll, either for identifying or repairing. This bonus applies to weaponry and gizmos only.

* Scavenger - Knows where to go to find any needed item in the junklands. May be able to find hidden things and/or find the best routes through Ancient ruins. Increase the chance of finding traps (p.36) by 1 on a d6. Reduce the chance of springing a trap (p.37) by 1 on a d6.

* Brute - Is good at hitting things with other things. Trained in hand-to-hand combat. Gets a bonus to hit with close-combat weapons. +1 to hit in melee.

* Marksman - Same as a Brute only with ranged weapons. +1 to hit ranged.

* Scholar - Can read Ancient languages and/or knows more of Ancient history than most. May not be able to fix tech, but can more easily tell you what it is, what it does, and how to turn it on. Knows where to go for information. May even know how to use Ancient computers for research. A 20% bonus to identifying and activating technology. No bonus to any repair checks.

* Medic - Familiar with first aid techniques on biological lifeforms. May know how to use most Ancient medical tech. A 10% bonus roll for the identification and repair of technology that is Drugs and Chemicals, or Foodstuffs. Also reduces by 10% the chance of any medical technology backfiring on a mutant.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50 pm

Classes have been on my mind a bit off and on since posting before...

Mechanics/fixers/tinkers...are always a welcome thought...those who can repair tech and piece together the same from parts

Makers/builders/Masons...those with skill in fabrication and creating tools and parts to make constructs...

Operators...those with talent/skills in using old and new tech...bonuses to using, driving, and figuring out tech

Loremaster/storyteller...those with a grasp of formal education...reading, writing, math, language, teaching, etc...bonuses to languages, general knowledge, communication, etc.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Return to Mutant Future