GYGAX magazine

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

GYGAX magazine

Postby Blood axe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 pm

I subscribed. I always got Dragon mag, and then Dungeon. So I figured Id give it a shot. I got a PDF today. I havent had much of a chance to do more than scan it a bit. It covers a few different games, and has alot of adverts. ALOT. Im looking forward to getting the print copy, then i can give it a better look.
It has articles on Icons & Pathfinder.
Last edited by Blood axe on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: GYGAX magazine

Postby Wizardawn » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:13 am

If they have any at GaryCon...then I will get one.
Wizardawn

Postby redwullf » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:34 am

Blood axe wrote:I subscribed. I always got Dragon mag, and then Dungeon. So I figured Id give it a shot. I got a PDF today. I havent had much of a chance to do more than scan it a bit. It covers a few different games, and has alot of adverts. ALOT. Im looking forward to getting the print copy, then i can give it a better look.
It has articles on Icons & Pathfinder.

And, the AGE System (Adventure Game Engine, such as that which drives the Dragon Age RPG) is also featured, which I found a little surprising. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the first edition of Gygax magazine, and I'm very much looking forward to the next one. It's full of nostalgic feels.
“The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” E. G. G.
redwullf

Postby Blood axe » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:11 am

The cover is very very similar to an old Dragon cover. I just have to find the issue #.

Found it!

Gygax #1 & Dragon #141 look similar. I wonder if its the same artist.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby BattleBrotherBob » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Overall I felt it was a good start. A lot of old names remenicing in it. I expected that in the first issue. I'm waiting for number2 for it to really take off and be its own magazine. My only real beef was the price of shipping. I also liked that they sent me a PDF copy of the mag just for ordering a dead tree version.

A good solid B for a first issue.
BattleBrotherBob

Postby shart2069 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Yeah I went looking myself comparing covers:

http://index.rpg.net/display-search.pht ... e=pictures

My mind keeps telling me I have seen that Ettin someplace before though. Maybe it was DUNGEON...

And the little gnomish-looking guy too, maybe ...

Maybe not in the same piece though.

Either that, or the art is so stylistically similar that it is creating a false memory.

(I read someplace that the cover of GYGAX #1 was done by an artist who did several Dragon covers in the late 1980's, but I can't find his name, and my print copy is now safely packed.)
BLOG: https://almostoldschool.wordpress.com/

http://www.meetup.com/Hudson-Valley-Labyrinth-Looters/

"There are three objectives in D&D: collecting treasure, gaining experience points and, most importantly, staying alive." - What is Dungeons & Dragons? p.86
shart2069

Postby Eldrad » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:32 pm

The only way they can have LL/AEC articles is for you guys to send in articles.
Eldrad

Postby Mach Front » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:29 am

The cover art had a familiar feel to me as well.
I assumed it was because it looked like either Daniel Horne or Denis Beauvais.
It reminded me of Daniel Horne's cover for Dragon 128.

http://rpggeek.com/image/581297/dragon- ... size=large

...aaannd the cover of Gygax #1 is Daniel Horne after all. Well, okay then.
Mach Front

Postby Thoth Amon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:17 am

Mine arrived this week. So far I am not that impressed. I am hoping that future issues will have more game-related stuff and less "back in my day, this is what we were doing" stuff. I am not quite halfway through; however, perhaps the second half is more like Dragon.
Thoth Amon

Postby Wizardawn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Thoth Amon wrote:Mine arrived this week. So far I am not that impressed. I am hoping that future issues will have more game-related stuff and less "back in my day, this is what we were doing" stuff. I am not quite halfway through; however, perhaps the second half is more like Dragon.

I agree. This magazine was thin, lacked any gaming material, and was expensive in my opinion compared to other types of magazines. The best thing out of it was Michael Curtis did a small village which one could use in a game. My favorite parts about Dragon Magazine was new classes (they would write it is for NPCs only...but who were they fooling), monsters, and magic items...that is why I like the Best of Dragon stuff. I also liked the occasional article about expanding a game rule...even if I was never going to use it...it was still a good read. Maybe the next issue will get some meat on the bone.
Wizardawn

Next

Return to Open Discussion