Cyborg Character for Mutant Future

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Cyborg Character for Mutant Future

Postby Blood axe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:05 am

These are some work in progress, simple rules for Cyborg player characters for Mutant Future.

This is a Cyborg commonly seen in comics, sci-fi movies,etc.
Half the face, or at least the eye and part of the skull is cybernetic, various armor plates or metal components scattered around on the body, and one arm is weaponized.

Hit Dice- 1d6 per CON
Mutations- NONE
Instead use Cybernetic Implants

Use Pure Strain Human rules but no bonus to INT/CHA/CON

Arm- One arm is weaponized, choose automatic pistol, auto- shotgun, or chainsaw arm.

Chainsaw is melee 3d6 damage

Sensors- Increased Vision, Increased Hearing, Night Vision

Armor- various armored plates & metallic parts give AC-6

-------------------------------

Ive also been considering optional "Tech" mutations.
Jet pack- Flight
Adrenal Pump- Ability Boost
Force Field Generator- Force Screen
Combat Computer- Combat Empathy
Heavy Armor- Natural Armor AC-4
Others..............

Ideas, suggestions??
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: Cyborg Character for Mutant Future

Postby bighara » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Drawbacks?
bighara

Postby Blood axe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Not any drawbacks (yet), its a work in progress. I am open to ideas/suggestions.
Androids dont have any drawbacks. They get 3 good mutations.
Ive been thinking of increasing the options, but only let you pick 3.(weapon system, sensor, armor, powers,etc)

Does it need more drawbacks?
Its basically a Pure Human without the higher Hit Points and bonus to CON/INT/CHA.
Instead of mutations, it gets the tech. A Mutant gets d4 physical & mental mutations but runs the chance of defects.

Are there any other Cyborg rules for Mutant Future?
Blood axe

Postby baran_i_kanu » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Dave B.
http://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com/
baran_i_kanu

Postby Blood axe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:43 pm

baran_i_kanu wrote:i did a writeup a while back.
http://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com/2012/ ... s-pcs.html

VERY NICE!
I guess Im thinking of "partial" cyborgs according to your work. Only a limb or two, a few body parts are cybernetic/implants, the rest flesh & bone.
Blood axe

Postby knottyprof » Sun May 12, 2013 1:46 pm

I picked up the Apocalype Tech Report through DriveThruRPG.com, it has a chapter on cyborgs that covers it pretty well. It gives limitations based on the character's Constitution and as the character adds more "upgrades" there is a chance that something goes wrong and the character suffers some sort of effect for it. It doesn't treat cyborgs as a separate race, but just gives options to allow an existing race to be modified with tech. The Report also has a section on nano-technology that is just as interesting and the pdf is worth the price.
knottyprof

Postby baran_i_kanu » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:25 am

And a year later I read my message inbox. SORRY for the delay Blood axe. Here you go.

CYBORGS
I finally got my head wrapped around how I am doing cyborgs.
I am going with the premise that there are really two types: those who are mostly machine, which I am calling full cyborgs to distinguish the two types, and those who will add on various parts due to injury or possibly enhancement, simply referred to as partial cyborgs.

The full cyborgs I am building as a Race; they are simply more machine than man and they are not mutants.

Mutants can become partial cyborgs, but they do not begin as such for game purposes.
If you want to build a mutant partial cyborg as a beginning character, talk to your ML. I personally think such a character may be too powerful for normal play as it essentially adds possibly several free mutations to the beginning mutant, but that may be the level of play your ML and group enjoys so go for it!

I am basing my full cyborg write-up on the Cyborg Commando found in the Monsters sections of MF.
The full cyborgs are heavily cybered. They have most of their bodies or systems replaced, either due to accident or to turn them into war machines. They could be thawed out cyborgs from the past, reactivated and wandering the wasteland, or they could be created and maintained in technologically advanced cities. It will vary heavily from setting to setting based on ML and player preference.

Full Cyborgs
Full Cyborgs are treated as a race for character creation. They are mostly machine, normally with a metal reinforced torso, often with artificial organs and limbs which are heavily cybernetic. The head and face may be partially machine or metal plated as well. These details should be worked out with the ML. The cyborg’s sense organs may be artificial. All replacement parts function at human level; only enhancements rolled or chosen on the Enhancement Table give special abilities. Cyborgs’ machine parts are powered by the same type of battery that powers Basic Androids, giving them sufficient power for hundreds of years, well past the point their organic parts will expire.

Full cyborgs are fully vulnerable to poison, radiation, mutation, and disease due to their remaining organic parts. They suffer the vulnerabilities of both humans and machines. The ML must use good judgment here: a poison needle trap jabbing a cybernetic hand isn’t going to do anything to the cyborg. If a poisoned spear pierced the cyborg’s side, it would affect the cyborg as it would probably hit its blood stream, organic tissue, etc.

Full cyborgs also sink like a rock in water due to the increased weight from their machine systems.

Hit Dice: 1d8 per point of CON
Enhancements/Mafunctions: 1d4+2 (Roll 1d6 for each possible enhancement; on a 1 it is a malfunction instead.)
Ability Score Adjustments: Str bonus +2, Con bonus +1, Cha -3
Full cyborgs are built strong and tough, but are not attractive and can be frightening to look at. They can be discriminated against as easily as mutants can.

Enhancements/Malfunctions: Each full cyborg gains enhancements or malfunctions, just like a mutant gains mutations. These are based on the standard Mutations in the game, and are virtually the same. Mutations which are altered when applied to cyborgs are noted on my Enhancements and Malfunctions Tables. The cyborg can have 1d4+2 enhancements or malfunctions. For each possible enhancement roll a 1d6. On a 1 it is a malfunction instead.

Healing
Being mostly machine, cyborgs naturally heal only 1/4 of the hit point damage received. The rest of the damage must be repaired as Basic Androids do. A cyborg may repair his non-organic damage at a rate of 1d3 hp per day dedicated to the task. The Mutant Lord may place restrictions, requirements, or conditions on this activity, such as requiring the proper tools and parts, or tech rolls to fix the cyborg.
If the cyborg reaches 0 hp, it is destroyed and cannot be repaired.

Armor Class
The extensive non-organic replacements of cyborgs give them a natural AC 4. This can be upgraded with advanced metals and materials giving the cyborg an AC 2 or AC 0 based on the enhancement chart, or it might be possible to buy them. Such upgrades should be incredibly expensive and rare, unless the ML’s setting allows otherwise.

Cyborgs can use shields and wear normal armor , but they get no bonus from the armor unless it’s AC is greater than their natural AC. In reality this limits them to plate mail or advanced armors unless they want to wear normal armor, perhaps as a disguise to try to fit in better with society.

Weapon Systems
The cyborg may have integrated or hidden weapon systems in its body. Such systems may include blades, firearms, laser weapons, flamethrowers, and micro missiles. If this enhancement is rolled or chosen, the table will show what the cyborg has implanted. Where is it on the cyborg is up to the player and the ML.

Partial Cyborgs
These characters are not so extensively cyborg that they are built as a race.
While they may have artificial organs, cybernetic limbs, cyber eyes, etc. they are mostly meat (or whatever their original substance is, as long as your ML decides that the remaining substance can support the weight of cybernetic replacements). These are androids, mutated animals, mutated humans, mutated plants, pure humans, or any other race you come up with; but they are still that race with a few replacement parts.

Simply use the cyborg enhancement chart to find out what their new cybernetic part does, if anything. It may be just a replacement limb or organ, or it may be a cyber-arm with a claw hand and a laser embedded in it’s forearm, Whatever you can pay for and your ML lets you get away with.

The AC of replacement limbs, plate torsos, etc, is the standard cyborg AC of 4.
EXAMPLE: I have a basic cybernetic arm but everything else is meat. I'm wearing leather armor and have -1 Dex adjustment, so my normal AC is 6. However, if the ML needs to hit my cybernetic arm, its AC is 3. Note that the Armor enhancement can improve the cybernetic limbs.

As to cost of all of this: I will beg out using the oft uttered “it’s up to your ML and his setting!’
:D

Cyborg Enhancements/Malfunctions
Each enhancement and malfunction functions just like the mutations they are based on in the MF rulebook. Any changes have been noted in the notes below. The descriptions I included are just suggestions based on what my MF cyborgs would be like in my MF setting.

For ease of reference each is marked with (phys) if it was from the physical charts, (mental) if from the mental charts, and (new) if it was created by myself. These are just references: the actual enhancements and malfunctions are all mechanical or computerized in nature.

Cyborg Enhancements (roll 3d10)
3) Ability Boost (mental)
Combat computer enhancement in brain..
4) Accumulated Resistance (mental)
Built to resist substance or energy source.
5) Acute Hyper Healing (mental)
Nanites. Heals all hp, both organic and mechanical, once per day.
6) Armor (new). Roll 1d6.
1-4 Built with advanced metals. AC 2
5-6 Built with hyper-strong alloy. AC 0
7) Combat Empathy (mental)
Combat computer enhancement in brain.
8) Dual Cerebellum (mental)
Computer enhanced brain.
9) Echolocation (phys)
Projector and audio receiver send information to combat computer in brain.
10) Energy Ray (phys)
Integrated weapon. Choose location with ML.
11) Energy Retaining Cell Structure (phys)
Self defense/weapons system.
12) Force Screen (mental)
Internal force field projector.
13) Force Screen, Greater (mental)
Internal advanced force field projector.
14-15) Increased Physical Attribute (phys)
Cybernetic enhancements/replacements.
16-17) Increased Sense (phys)
Enhanced/replaced sense organs and computer processing.
18) Increased Willpower (mental)
Computer enhanced brain.
19) Intellectual Affinity (mental)
Computer enhanced brain. Only Martial Affinity and Tinkerer Affinity available. (Roll 1d4.)
20) Mental Barrier (mental)
Computer enhanced brain. The cyborg cannot detect mental mutations in others.
21) Night Vision (phys)
Enhanced artificial optic sensors.
22) Optic Emissions (phys)
Weapons system integrated into artificial optics.
23) Quick Mind (mental)
Computer enhanced brain.
24) Quickness (phys)
Artificially and computer enhanced reflexes.
25) Reflective Epidermis (phys)
The cyborg’s body has been completely hardened against a certain form of energy.
26) Shriek (phys)
A sonic unit integrated in the cyborg’s body. Choose location with ML.
27) Thermal Vision (phys)
28) Ultraviolet Vision (phys)
29) Weapon, Integrated (new)
The weapon system is hidden within an artificial limb, commonly an arm, and can be deployed as a free actions. If it is a projectile weapon, it must be reloaded as per a normal weapon of its type. It does not have an infinite ammo supply or run off of the cyborg’s power supply. Roll 1d6
1-2 Blade: 1d6 dmg
3 Submachine gun: 1d10 dmg, 60 shot clip
4 Mk II Laser pistol: 6d6 dmg, 10 shot power clip
5 Flame-thrower: 4d6 dmg in a cone starting at 1’wide and extending 30’ where it is 10’ wide, 10 bursts.
6 Micro Missile launcher: can hold 1d4 missiles
30) Wheels (new)
The cyborg has an alternate form of locomotion. His legs detach and he can plug his torso into a unit with wheels, treads, etc. This unit gives it a movement of 150’.

Cyborg Malfunctions (roll 2d8)
2) Atrophied Cerebellum (mental)
Malfunctioning computer enhancement in brain.
3) Dual Cerebellum (Defective) (mental)
Malfunctioning computer enhancement in brain which has altered its programming.
4) Epidermal Susceptibility (phys)
Breach in outer armor or faulty and oversensitive systems.
5) Frailty (phys)
Brittle framework/defective metal in machinery.
6) Hemophilia (phys)
Bleeds or leaks system fluids heavily requiring quick patching.
7) Increased Caloric Needs (phys)
Remaining organic parts require the extra intake.
8-9) Pain Insensitivity (phys)
Malfunction in touch sensors or cerebral receptors.
10) Phobia (mental)
11) Reduced Immune System (phys)
Organic systems diseased or life support systems malfunctioning.
12) Reduced Oxygen Efficiency (phys)
Either organic parts are diseased or filtration system malfunctioning.
13) Weak Will (mental)
14) Slow (phys)
Severe mental and motor malfunctions.
15) Thermal Sensitivity (plant)
Sensitive or defective systems, failure in environmental seals/filters.
16) Vision Impairment (phys)
Artificial optics malfunction.
Dave B.
http://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com/
baran_i_kanu

Postby najatuw4646 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:47 am

Such upgrades should be incredibly expensive and rare, unless the ML’s setting allows otherwise.
najatuw4646

Postby Blood axe » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:05 pm

Thanks for posting that. Great stuff Baran i kanu. Thanks.
Blood axe

Return to Mutant Future