GYGAX magazine

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: GYGAX magazine

Postby Goblinoid Games » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:54 pm

I was really surprised at the lack of gaming content in the first issue. I have a one year subscription so I'll ride it out at least that long to see how it goes.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby redwullf » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:I was really surprised at the lack of gaming content in the first issue. I have a one year subscription so I'll ride it out at least that long to see how it goes.

Yeah, it was a bunch of "Look at us after all these years..." articles. I'm also hoping they ramp up the crunch in future volumes.
“The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” E. G. G.
redwullf

Postby Blood axe » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:06 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:I was really surprised at the lack of gaming content in the first issue. I have a one year subscription so I'll ride it out at least that long to see how it goes.

Same thoughts here. Alot of adverts too. I have a sub, so I'll see how it goes.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Thoth Amon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Blood axe wrote:

Same thoughts here. Alot of adverts too. I have a sub, so I'll see how it goes.

Ya, me three.
Thoth Amon

Postby Mach Front » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:11 pm

Unfortunate.

This confirms the suspicions I had when I saw the contents posted online.

I'll be brutally honest here: While it's cool that Gygax Magazine has come into being, even if it's ever anything like Dragon, that would still be too bad. Why? Because IMO Fight On!, Knockspell and any given forum thread or blog post has had far more useful ideas on any given single issue/single post than Dragon Magazine ever had over the entire course of any given year.
Mach Front

Postby Wizardawn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Mach Front wrote:I'll be brutally honest here: While it's cool that Gygax Magazine has come into being, even if it's ever anything like Dragon, that would still be too bad. Why? Because IMO Fight On!, Knockspell and any given forum thread or blog post has had far more useful ideas on any given single issue/single post than Dragon Magazine ever had over the entire course of any given year.

I agree. There are a bunch of zines available that this magazine is not doing anything really innovative. People get hung up on "physical copies" that this magazine was hyped up about "finally having something in print". I like physical copies myself, but when I look over my PDF Dragon magazines...I just print the sections I want to use and assemble them in a binder instead of saying, "what Dragon magazine is that thing in again?". The price is too much for what you get in this magazine. If you take into account inflation, it costs just as much to get some Judge's Guild supplements that have a ton of useful stuff in them...without the ads.

I was looking at a book store the other day to see the racks and racks of magazines wondering, "who would buy this stuff if you could read it all somewhere online?". I could only think of my boss would buy a magazine at the airport to read on the plane. This is pretty much why I bought Gygax Magazine...to read it in my hotel room while I was at GaryCon. Maybe I am being harsh myself...or unfair...as I have access to printers and can just print stuff out if I want to read it on paper. I am also not an artwork fanatic when it comes to this stuff. I love it in a rule book...but it is not necessary to me when you have an informational magazine. This is where many fan-zines seem to suffer...they wait and wait till they have enough artwork for their zine before they release it. It is just a bummer no one seems to get overly excited about a new Footprints, Knockspell, or & Magazine...like many were so excited for this one. Maybe if they find some guy out there named "Ralph Dungeon", then they can get them on board to make a "Dungeon Magazine".
Wizardawn

Postby Skathros » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:04 pm

The only reason I didnt get it was that it seems to have no focus. Now-a-days, if I take the time to invest in a mag/'zine, it really needs to focus on the games i'm interested. I don't mind reading reviews here and there on other games, but I prefer the bulk of my mag/'zine being devoted to the game i'm playing or am interested (example: star frontiersman).
WIZARDS' LORE: A Wizards' World fan site & home to Dungeon Delving Games.
OSRWTF: A more critical look at the movement from a disenchanted fan.
Skathros

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:54 pm

I bought a subscription. Any news on issue #2 ?
Blood axe

Postby sniderman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:27 am

Blood axe wrote:I bought a subscription. Any news on issue #2 ?

Yup, their website was updated with info and an email went out to all subscribers. Didn't you get this?

I know you've been looking forward to hearing when our next issues are coming out, so here's the news.
Issue 1 was our pilot issue, a chance for us to get processes in place and work out the kinks that come with a new magazine.

From issue 2 on out, we'll be on a regular 3-month schedule. Here it is:

Issue 2 - Wednesday, July 31
Issue 3 - Wednesday, October 30
Issue 4 - Wednesday, January 29
Issue 5 - Wednesday, April 30

(Those are the dates that the magazine will be arriving for you as a subscriber, as close as we can estimate. The printer mails them about a week earlier. Distributors get the magazines on that day, so it will take a little bit to get onto store shelves)

I also want to say thank you to for being early supporter through your subscription, and let you know that your four-issue subscription will be getting a bonus extension, so your subscription will go through issue FIVE.

We know some problems happened with this first issue and people are eager to get issue 2, so consider this extra issue an apology and thank you for believing in us. We can't wait for you to see the second issue at the end of July, I really think you're going to like it.

Best,
Jayson Elliot
Editor-in-Chief
Gygax magazine

So Issue two out by end of July and all subscribers got a one-issue extension.
sniderman

Postby Blood axe » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:41 am

I checked the website & didnt see that. No, I didnt get the email, maybe it went to spam.
Thanks for the info!
Blood axe

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion