Quick/simple question regarding exp from items

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Quick/simple question regarding exp from items

Postby ibldedibble » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:03 pm

Hey!

I was looking through the LL rules once again to make sure I wasn't missing anything and I read the "Awarding Experience" part which got me thinking... "items", does that include coins?

The reason I'm wondering is because I might be handing out a few GP more than I should if "items" does include coins and not enough non-coin treasure if it doesn't. :)

/Ibl
ibldedibble

Re: Quick/simple question regarding exp from items

Postby Blood axe » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Im not understanding your question exactly- so if you could please be clearer. I'll try anyway.

You can give XP(Experience Points) for each GP (Gold Piece) value in treasure.
You can also give XP for magic items found. (like in 1E D&D)
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby ibldedibble » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 am

Blood axe wrote:Im not understanding your question exactly- so if you could please be clearer. I'll try anyway.

The first part of your reply is exactly what I'm wondering about. Because the rules state "at the rate of 1 XP per 1 gold piece (gp) value of the item."
Would that mean that GP (or coins as I called them earlier) count as items as well or is it only items such as gems, statues and what not?
ibldedibble

Postby Blood axe » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:42 pm

ibldedibble wrote:
Blood axe wrote:Im not understanding your question exactly- so if you could please be clearer. I'll try anyway.

The first part of your reply is exactly what I'm wondering about. Because the rules state "at the rate of 1 XP per 1 gold piece (gp) value of the item."
Would that mean that GP (or coins as I called them earlier) count as items as well or is it only items such as gems, statues and what not?

--------------------------

Do you mean if a player finds a suit of platemail he gets the gp/xp equivalent? Id say no. But thats an individual decision. Personally I dont give xp for gold at all. I give more XP for actions, role-playing,etc,etc.

So if you are lucky and find a 5,000 gp gem you go up a level or two?! Makes no sense to me. Bring it to the real world- a Priest wins the lottery and suddenly becomes the Pope. Or a boxer who never won a fight , now is the all time champ. Doesnt make sense. But it is just a game.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Blood axe wrote:Do you mean if a player finds a suit of platemail he gets the gp/xp equivalent? Id say no. But thats an individual decision. Personally I dont give xp for gold at all. I give more XP for actions, role-playing,etc,etc.

So if you are lucky and find a 5,000 gp gem you go up a level or two?! Makes no sense to me. Bring it to the real world- a Priest wins the lottery and suddenly becomes the Pope. Or a boxer who never won a fight , now is the all time champ. Doesnt make sense. But it is just a game.

You can never gain more than one level at a time, whatever the amount of XP you gain. This was true in B/X, Mentzer and AD&D, and I suppose Dan wrote something to that effect also in LL.
Regarding the topic of "why characters advance in level with gold," Gary wrote a lot in the DMG. The final point is, it's a "metagaming" concept used to "push" the characters to go adventuring. A priest winning the lottery would not gain anything, since he did not risk his life to gain the money. But if he killed a dragon and took its loot (and brought it home safely,) he might become the Pope! (assuming he is one level short from becoming one; otherwise, see the rules above.)
rabindranath72

Postby ibldedibble » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:35 pm

Blood axe wrote:Do you mean if a player finds a suit of platemail he gets the gp/xp equivalent? Id say no. But thats an individual decision. Personally I dont give xp for gold at all. I give more XP for actions, role-playing,etc,etc.

No, I mean if the party finds 5000 GP, would that mean the party gains 5000 XP or is it only for gems and statues?

It's fine that you don't use that rule, but I intend to run it RAW, in which case it says "Characters only gain XP from treasure of a non-magical nature, at the rate of 1 XP per 1 gold piece (gp) value of the item.", which is why I've asked if GP indeed counts as an "item".
ibldedibble

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:50 pm

It's the intrinsic value of objects which gives XPs; which obviously includes coins.
rabindranath72

Postby ibldedibble » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:07 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:It's the intrinsic value of objects which gives XPs; which obviously includes coins.

Thanks! :) Time to edit some of the treasure then. :)
ibldedibble

Postby scadgrad » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:28 pm

I try to run it by the RAW as best as I can and it seems to work out. There are no GP values for magic items in RC the best I recall, and certainly none in LL/AEC. To that end, I award XPs for coinage, gems, jewelry and whatever monsters they defeat. Occasionally, a successful end to a chapter, etc. may earn an XP bonus.

I agree with EGG's metagaming concept that strongly urges the characters to go out looking for trouble. I also like a bit of the "we're always broke" vibe of Sword and Sorcery classics like Lieber, REH, etc. To this end, I use the Carousing Rules which usually result in hilarious twists and turns in our story. Needless to say, my players are always looking for something big to gank and then of course take its stuffz. :)
scadgrad

Return to Labyrinth Lord