Chases in the Wilderness

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Chases in the Wilderness

Postby Perceval » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:52 am

First of all, excuse my rapid questioning guys! :oops:
That's what happens when you haven't played a PnP-RPG before, you have too many questions!
To the point, are the wilderness chases counted in rounds and by having the fleeing/pursuing groups moving at running speed on a grid? Or they're counted daily (as it says on LL Core Rules, page 52) and you move the group randomly in other hexes of the world map? An example would be amazing to have.
I looked on Rules Cyclopedia, the whole evasion thing is kinda similar to LL but at the same time confused me even more on how to handle wilderness evasion. The "if the pursuers are faster, there's 50% chance they catch up to the escapees" is totally dropped, and the wilderness chase is very similar to a dungeon chase.
"Call me whatever you like; I am who I must be."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Perceval

Re: Chases in the Wilderness

Postby elf23 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:24 am

I've never run a wilderness chase before, but looking at the rules (LL p52) it looks like it's intended to work on a daily basis. Note that this is for chases between two groups which have not come within close proximity of one another, but who are aware of each other's presence. If the groups had already come close up and engaged in negotiations / melee, you could handle it using the normal initiative / movement / combat rules... so even if the fleeing party is faster, there would be a few rounds where the chasing party could fire missile weapons at them. Once it got beyond that range, and the chasing party still wanted to pursue, you could switch to using the wilderness chase rules.

Also remember though that the various rules for movement and chases are just guidelines to be used as appropriate, a sort of toolkit if you will -- so what I described above is just my feeling on how I'd run that kind of situation.
elf23

Postby bighara » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:29 am

I had not noticed that specifically before, but you are correct. It does not explicitly state it there. For what's it's worth, I consider the chases to occur in rounds. A wilderness "encounter" takes place between two groups up to 240 yards apart. Since wilderness movement is in yards, not feet, closing that distance takes relatively little time. Refer to page 45 (LL45). Under "Wilderness Adventures."

Unless there is an encounter, the Labyrinth Lord will direct players through time in increments of days while traveling in the wilderness. When an encounter occurs, time is measured in rounds. Unlike in labyrinths, wilderness adventures do not often measure time in turns.

So a chase would probably be a combination of things like simply fleeing, finding a good hiding spot, or the pursuer deciding to look for easier prey.

In cases where two groups are farther apart, or cannot easily close the distance, you may need to adjust the time scale.

Hope this helps.
bighara

Postby Perceval » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:57 pm

Thanks for the info guys! I'll probably go for the LL's "daily check" because it's much simpler than the CR's "round-by-round" for our first games.
By the way, with all the read I've done on CR so far to "decode" the rules out of LL, it seems quite an interesting rulebook after all.
"Call me whatever you like; I am who I must be."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Perceval

Return to Labyrinth Lord