Game Prep Tools: What do you need?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Game Prep Tools: What do you need?

Postby Mark » Thu May 19, 2011 12:35 am

I have a yearning to write some code and I do love random generators. However, I'm currently at a loss for ideas within a web based framework. Is there something you'd like to see beyond the dozens of generators already available? I lean toward LL / old school stuff but am willing to consider anything rpg related.

Most of the ideas I had are already well covered by other individuals. I don't want to repeat what's already done unless its something with an onerous interface or output format. If you see a suggestion already well covered by a someone else, please link it in.

Any thoughts?
Mark

Re: Game Prep Tools: What do you need?

Postby Dyson Logos » Thu May 19, 2011 2:16 am

I need an extra four hours every day. You code me that, I'll be forever in your debt.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Mark » Fri May 20, 2011 8:49 pm

LOL. My skills are not up to time travel.
Mark

Postby scadgrad » Sat May 21, 2011 4:17 pm

I think one thing that would be very handy would be a higher level random retainer table. We already have Meatshields which is a fine utility for generating porters, torch bearers and the like, but what about something to generate those more capable NPC who in turn, become trusted retainers. I'd look at the process in 1st ed DMG and see if that might be doable.

I've ran this idea by Djeryv and he gave it a pass, but I still think a randomly generated empty room tool would be nice and quite useful in my estimation.

A third idea that occurred to me last night in our LL/AEC campaign, PCs defeat 2 stone giants and the party Ranger is able to follow their tracks back to their lair. A random lair generator would have came in handy. This could have produced something like the following:

Ruins of an old fortification abandoned many centuries ago. There are no females or youngsters. Secret door in floor leads to a 2 level dungeon of 9th & 10th level.

or

Deep overhang beside a small stream goes back some 50' into the hillside. A single female and young are here. No secret door.

And so on.
scadgrad

Postby Mark » Mon May 23, 2011 10:08 pm

Those are some interesting ideas, scadgrad. I'll see if I can accommodate one or more. Thanks for the feedback.
Mark

Postby Wizardawn » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:06 pm

scadgrad wrote:I've ran this idea by Djeryv and he gave it a pass, but I still think a randomly generated empty room tool would be nice and quite useful in my estimation.

I would be interested to see such a thing from anyone who "claims" to pull this off with reasonable results. Even if you took the AD&D DMG at the precise dice rolls, the dungeon would be quite chaotic if you roll that it is "clear" on one room and then "steamy" in the hallway...or a result of a "gusty wind" in a small room. The unexplained sounds is another issue...you better be ready as a DM to explain where they are coming from and what is actually making the sounds. The main issue I have is that I work with geomorphs to create the maps I use. If you use them, you would notice that it is a mixture of caves and square rooms. It would be annoying to have a cave come up with bedroom decorations. These dungeon dressing listings really seem more of "ideas" than a practical way to decorate a dungeon. I have seen one site that uses these to generate random dungeons. I can't remember the link but they actually have the nicest one yet. They generate a random dungeon map (no caves...just rooms/halls) and fill each room with traps, monsters, treasures, and decorations (I think they give you choice with Basic D&D and some other game system for treasure/monsters). The problem I have with the results is that the dungeon doesn't make sense to me...and I know the players would be just as confused and pulled out of the setting because of it. So good luck to whoever pulls it off. As for me I decorate around the map and monsters within it. If the room has a giant frog in it...I might say that the room (I choose whether the room was a bedroom, kitchen, jail cell, etc) has water on the floor with a caved in ceiling where you can see the swamp above. Something to explain why the frog is in the room. I also write descriptions with the randomly generated traps in mind. I want the players to have a room described that gives clues/hints about potential dangers and not reduce it to...

You open the door and see a room that is misty with bones, rags, shelf, fire pit, candle, pot, and apron in it. You hear splashing coming from somewhere.

...you end up writing more to this anyway...I would hope.

- Djeryv
Wizardawn

Postby scadgrad » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:11 pm

I concede that tying empty room contents to existing encounters is vastly superior. It's just that I've found the random empty room descriptions to be handy in actual game play. I current get those descriptions from AEG's Ultimate Toolbox and from Stonehell Dungeon.
scadgrad

Return to Open Discussion