Alternative Treasure Hoard for Mutant Future

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Alternative Treasure Hoard for Mutant Future

Postby Malcadon » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:55 pm

I do not find the normal Labyrinth Lord Treasure Hoard a right fit for Mutant Future, so I have been thinking about changing it from coins, to common items. This is based on my idea that in a post-apocalypses setting, tools are worth more then bits of shinny metals and glassy gemstones, and my disdain of giving out copious amount of gold coins for every little adventure. Plus, the extra amount of pre-apocalyptic items (in the form of scrap) could help fill-out found artifacts with what amounts to worthless duds. The "gold piece" (or should I say "scrap piece") is more abstract here, as it represents the equivalent value in a barter or trade. Haggling by Reaction Rolls or role-playing are more then welcome at my game table.

With this system, Copper Pieces, Silver Pieces, and Gold Pieces are changed into Primitive Goods, Basic Goods and Scrap, plus the inclusion of Valuables, and each piece of treasure is a single item. Since the Mutant Lord has to roll to see what each item is, the amount of items found are going to be kept short. With Hoard Class VI-VII, characters will find 1d10 items instead of 1d100 coins. And with the larger "Lair" hoards, you do not multiply the results by a thousand. That is, if you find a monster with a Hoard Class of "VII, X", each monster would have a 25% chance of 1-10 Basic Goods and 10% chance of having 1-10 bits of Scrap instead of 1-100 for both silver and gold coins. And their lair would have a 70% chance of having 2-20 bits of Scrap, instead of the standard 2,000-20,000 gold coins.

The list brakes down to the following:

Primitive Goods
These items are simple makeshift items used by Cavemen and Wasteland Savages. Unless they have some truly useful properties, they are seen as worthless to all but to those who live off the land and have nothing better available. They include crude versions of basic items (like a backpack that is nothing more then an animal skin bindle on a stick), crudely made tools, medical herbs (including mutant barriers), animal byproducts (like a cape made of the hide of a laser-deflecting creature or explosive seeds) and the like.

Basic Goods
These are items you'll find in the basic equipment list, as well as any sort of mundane items, like crafting, domestic and farming implements. They have a trade value equal to the GP value on the lists. They are considered far superior then Primitive Goods, even by primitive people.

Scrap
This is mostly useless bits of junk found in old ruins or complexes. This is the sort of stuff you'll find in the old Gamma World treasure lists -- basically a list of sundry items, in differing states of conditions, that look like it was compiled by rummaging through a garage (old drill bits, a dart board, a ragged old teddy bear, football trophy, etc.). The value of these items are based on the fact that they might by useful in some way. Ignorant savages might see them as magical in nature and use them as talismans, while anyone with technical understanding would use them to repair damaged artifacts. As such, they can not just serve as an economic backbone for the setting (with each Scrap Piece being equal to one GP in weight and value), but can be used to improve Repair Rolls (only a percent of your total scrap could be used to find anything useful, and if you find anything useful, you would loose some of it to make the repair).

The biggest danger with finding scrap is that some of it might be radioactive. The chances if there being any irradiated scrap is based on the quantity found per pile (basically, 2-5% plus 1-2% per piece, for each time a group is rolled up on the Hoard Class table). Unless your Mutant Future game has that Silver Age Comic Book/Classic Gamma World vibe to it, irradiated scrap would appear quite normal and harmless. Otherwise, I highly recommend reading The Colour Out of Space by H.P. Lovecraft for best effect. Muhahahaha!!! :twisted:

Valuables
(Ether use Gems or Jewelery entry from Labyrinth Lord, but keep to one or the other for all classes.)
This is the assorted jewelery, gemstones, collector coins, and works of art you can find in old art museums, safety-deposit boxes and jewelery stores. The value of these items are all purely esthetic, and would have little or no value to anyone who cannot afford to be weighed down by "shinny things", so unlike LL, you do not roll the value until you trade. City dwellers who have the luxury of being materialistic with art and jewelery place the most value on them, while merchants value them as a means of portable wealth.

Technological Artifacts
(as is; no change)

It should be noted that weapons and armor do not appear in what you can find within Primitive Goods, Basic Goods Scrap and Valuables (although, you might find ceremonial weapons as valuables, and anything can be used as a club), as it is assumed that anyone who can use weapons are already armed and armored with the proper gear.

To make this work, one would need expensive lists for each entry, and to make character advancement less dependent on gold value -- how this is setup, you get a lot less treasure for the value. You might rule that each scrap and valuable is worth several times their basic value. With lists, they would have to cover a wider range of goods. That is, Valuables covers both gems and jewelery, as well as artwork and opulent odds and ends. Plus, like in Basic D&D, the players would get board finding the same old silver broach in every damn treasure pile.

You might just take the simplest approach by using the labels from the fourth edition Gamma World Loot table in place of normal coins. The book notes Junk (worth ether 1d10 or 5 Đomars), Baubles (worth 4d10 or 20Đ) and Curiosities (worth 2d10x10 or 100Đ). (Domars in that edition had no gold value) Using this, you can note Copper Pieces > Junk, Silver Pieces > Baubles, and Gold Pieces > Curiosities, with each maintaining their basic Labyrinth Lord/Mutant Future values.

So what do you guys think? Do you have you own ideas for an alternative to Treasure Hoards?
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Re: Alternative Treasure Hoard for Mutant Future

Postby Blood axe » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:55 pm

To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Wizardawn » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:38 pm

I put THIS together as well...for the mundane items. I agree that I never cared much for a "money" system in a post-apocalyptic game. In Mutant Future's defense, it simply has a currency in line with LL...but Gamma World had those plastic credit card things so they didn't have a bright idea for money either. I prefer a barter system where you have a value for your junk and trade it for equal or lesser value items you need. It is a bit clunkier than having a money system...but it fits.

For the Broken Urthe game I made I use a currency called Xormite. It is an odd element that was created due to the unknown events of the past...where some minerals from yesteryear were chemically changed into this Xormite. What that allows for is having a money system but you can also open an ancient foot locker and find a bunch of Xormite in it because whatever was inside simply turned to Xormite. Xormite is worth something because it is in small chunks and can be converted into energy. I have devices that can use Xormite as a battery or make some generators run. There are also Xormite liquifiers that will turn Xormite into a liquid that mimics petroleum so you can use it for ancient vehicles or other items (like a chainsaw).
Wizardawn

Postby Malcadon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:42 am

Wizardawn wrote:For the Broken Urthe game I made I use a currency called Xormite. It is an odd element that was created due to the unknown events of the past...where some minerals from yesteryear were chemically changed into this Xormite. What that allows for is having a money system but you can also open an ancient foot locker and find a bunch of Xormite in it because whatever was inside simply turned to Xormite. Xormite is worth something because it is in small chunks and can be converted into energy. I have devices that can use Xormite as a battery or make some generators run. There are also Xormite liquifiers that will turn Xormite into a liquid that mimics petroleum so you can use it for ancient vehicles or other items (like a chainsaw).

Yeah, the utility of Xormite would make it highly valuable, and like "arrows" in the first Legend of Zelda game, your money and ammo (well in your case, fuel and batteries) becomes interchangeable. That is a great alternative to gold and other precious metals, as well as Domars or whatever equivalent one might use.

Actually, that reminds me of how a number of people who play Star Frontiers with SEUs (Standard Energy Units — the basic charge of a battery) used as currency. Under the normal rules, each SEU of a battery is worth 5 credits, and it costs 5 credits per SEU to recharge them (save for powerclips, as they are not rechargeable). So SEU-based economy would be worth 1/5 their normal credit value. The idea behind this is to establish a form of money or barter in backwater worlds without an economic infrastructure, or places where people have no trust in electronic funds.
Malcadon

Postby gentleman john » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:21 pm

I can think of a couple of interesting fictional economic systems based on the actual value of materials.

In Metro 2033 the economic system is based on ammunition, with the larger calibre rounds generally being worth more than the smaller rounds. This leaves traders with the problem that in order to defend themselves against the monsters that patrol the remnants of the Moscow metro, they have to expend their wealth. Once a round is gone - it's gone. Of course, you never know whether a round is really worth something until you expend it, and there is presumably only a finite supply of ammunition and they are not fungible (ie, you can't split them into smaller units).

In James Blish's "Cities in Flight" series, the Ock Dollar is based on germanium as this is useful in electronic circuits. However, following an economic crisis the currency is based on anagathic drugs. Anagathics are not essential for life, but they do allow space-going societies to function as the FTL in the setting is a slow FTL. They are easy to check the purity of and can be diluted so you can vary your payments. Finally, there is a limited but potentially never-ending supply of these drugs.

Both systems of exchange make sense in their respective settings, but only the anagathic Ock Dollar is sustainable. Now, given the above, which would be better for a Mutant Future game?
gentleman john

Postby Malcadon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:47 pm

I just added the table for that Alternative Treasure Hoard to the MF Wiki, including other pages for house rules and the like. (Oh and even some Terminators) Come check it out, and add your stuff to it.
Malcadon

Postby JDJarvis » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:52 pm

Not a bad idea at all. I'm going to have to whip up some loot tables to go along with this idea.
JDJarvis

Postby JDJarvis » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:01 pm

did a first pass at the concept and have d100 lists for primitive, basic, and scrap. I went pretty basic on the basic equipment list, it infidelity is going to see revision some time in the future. Still need to do a valuables list.
here's a big chunk of the primitive loot:
80. Hypnotic Scent, as per Fragrance Development Mutation, 2-8 uses.
81. Muscle Juice, as per Increased Strength, lasts 7-12 turns
82. Hype Juice, as per Increased Dexterity, lasts 7-12 turns
83. Heat Reflective Cloak. Reflects up to 100 hp of heat damage
84. Radiation Reflective poncho. Reflects up to 30 intensity levels of radiation.
85. Laser Reflective tunic. Reflects up to 50 hp of lasers.
86. Spiked Cape, as per Spiny Growth. Ruined if a single attack causes 10 or more points of damage to wearer.
87. Herbal Skin screen, protects from sun for 1-4 hours even for albinos. 2-12 doses.
88. Wing Harness, a set of living plant wings, can be strapped on to allow flight at 90’ a round for up to 3 turns at a time. 1 in 8 chance it dies after each use.
89. Petal Blade, a wickedly edged blade fashioned from a plant knife. 50% chance it withers away whenever a 1 is rolled for damage. Does 1d6 damage.
90. Spoilsport Stink-Pot, an oily ointment that causes the target to suffer the as per Prey Scent mutation for 2-12 turns.
91.Burn Juice, does no actual damage itself but anyone splashed with it will suffer double damage from hear and lasers for next 2-12 hours. Sun exposure causes 1-3 pts per hour.
92. Mutant Wicker shield, a shield woven from mutant plant fibers, 2 pt AC bonus for a week, 1 pt AC bonus for a month, it withers afterward.
93. Intensity 5 poison Sap, 2-8 doses.
94. Intensity 5 poison antidote
95. Intensity 7 poison antidote
96. Intensity 9 poison antidote
97. Intensity 3 Radiation Screening Ointment lasts 7-12 turns after application.2-8 doses
98. Intensity 6 Radiation Screening Ointment lasts 2-12 turns after application.1-6 doses
99. Intensity 9 Radiation Screening Ointment lasts 2-7 turns after application.1-3 doses.
100. Chameleon Cream (as per mutation) lasts for 2-12 turns.2-7 doses.

here's the link: http://aeonsnaugauries.blogspot.com/201 ... uture.html
JDJarvis

Postby Malcadon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 am

You made some great lists! (including the ones form your blog)

I have been meaning to draft my own table, but I got cough-up with an art project.
Malcadon

Return to Mutant Future