Skull Mountain: Beginnings

greyarea's Labyrinth Lord game

Moderator: greyarea

Re: Skull Mountain: Beginnings

Postby greyarea » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:52 pm

"Thank you Paladin, but that isn't necessary," says the Master. "I have faith in my troops. However, if you care to check all four thousand citizens of Wolford and the hundreds in the lands surrounding, you are more than welcome to do so after this task is completed. Again, they have the boy and while they do, I require the quick strike of a force such as yourselves, not a sustained assault. This is no keep or fortress but the volcanic lair of evil men, the same strategies do not apply.

"As for compensation, I speak on behalf of Sir Taris on affairs monetary and administrative. You will get your reward. In exchange for rescuing Aiden, you can expect to find gems the equivalent of ten thousand gold waiting for you. To destroy the cult, I believe that we can arrange for some magic items for each of you as well as another group of gems and gold. And, if Father Doburn can be convinced of your holy task, perhaps you will live on as saints similar to Garth, who defeated this cult so long ago.

"Sir Taris isn't scheduled to return for a fortnight or more, but all depends on the affairs of the capital. If the courts run over, or if his Lady decides she wishes to return to the Manor early, all could change. Regardless, I fear for Aiden's life and wish him rescued most hastily. As your Dwarf noted, no one should be taken from their roots.

"We can provide a few healing potions, I believe we have three in storage in case of emergency. And we will order more for you from the capital to give when you return with Aiden.
"
greyarea

Postby connivingsumo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Dandy Dwarf Cleric unexpectedly belches rather loud, even catching himself by surprise!

"Oi! Pardons meh! Heh, I aint fer bein rood! Well, I'm all filled up'n redy tah go when yees'r! We be fer leavin now or tomoree?"
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby Scalydemon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:35 pm

Anadrea

Pretty face, green eyes, with a slender jawline and narrow nose, pointed ears, flaxen hair -Nods her approval of the task

She has heard enough and will be ready to depart whenever it's decided to go

As others ask more questions or haggle over gold, she sits down at the table and eats some of the fruit

Let the red dawn surmise
What we shall do,
When this blue starlight dies
And all is through.

Publisher of AFS Magazine An old school gaming & pulp literature fanzine available in print only http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/
Scalydemon

Postby Surfing HalfOrc » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:27 pm

After listening quietly, Maeglin asks a few questions of his own...

"This Skull Mountain. Has anyone in recent times explored it? Perhaps discovered a lesser known way into the tunnels and rooms beneath? I don't fancy a direct assault against the front gates.

"And these cultists... Any idea where they came from? Who or what they serve?"

The gambler rolls his card protector chip over his knuckles while thinking about the best (and safest for his own precious skin) way into the lair of the enemy.
Last edited by Surfing HalfOrc on Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surfing HalfOrc

Postby Spanningtree » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:58 am

Dieters eyes go wide at the mention of the monetary amount.

This sounds like an excellent undertaking. Just a few more questions from me. Would it be possible to receive a deed for a small farming property just outside of town in lieu of coin/gem for my share of the compensation? Could you have someone deliver the potions to the inn? Can you provide a map of Skull Mountain? If everyone is in agreement I guess we leave at sun up.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby connivingsumo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:51 am

Dandy Dwarf Cleric

"Hey der! Magelin, err... Magline... err... he and Deeters... uh... Detier... ah blasted! Dey has a guud idear! Do ye hav any maps o' the rock?"
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby Kristian » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:14 am

Father Sal leans back fiddling with his mustache a bit. "I'm always glad to be of assistance, a burden shared is a burden lessened..." he trails off for a moment his gaze distant. "I hope Norebo agrees and gives us his blessing for this endeavor... something to pray on strongly tonight."
Gnumerous Gnomes - Gneneral RPG Foolishness
Kristian

Postby Craigers07 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:19 pm

Furuk takes a seat at the table and picks out his favorites from the meal. He enjoys the food and has a hard time concentrating on the drawn out ramblings of the fat middle-aged man. Dieter’s questions concerning the rewards finally spark an interest in Furuk and he turns his attention to the town manager.

“What happens if we don’t get the kid back here before your lord returns? Will we still get paid?”
Craigers07

Postby greyarea » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:05 pm

"All I know is that they serve something called the Obsidian Heart. What this is, I don't know. If it is a god, then it is not one I was educated on. Perhaps it is the fiery heart of the volcano or some magical gem of infinite power. Father Doburn may know more of the cult's beginnings. At this point, I care more of their ending.

"As to maps of the place, we have none. We believe the skull has been used by petty thieves in the intervening years, but nothing meriting our attention. With the destruction of the cult by Saint Garth, many just left the area forsaken. Tales of haunts and whatnot have scared children but have never piqued the interest of explorers. Most prefer to thank the Good Earth and Saint Garth for ridding us of that cult and moving on to raise their sheep.

"The only known entrance to the place is through the jaws of the skull. Finding it is easy enough, the volcano is visible to the east of town belching smoke and steam as it has for a hundred years. It is nearly half a day's ride from here. I can have a guide lead you but he cannot join you in the mountain: I can spare him for the day's ride--there and back--and no more.

"A few vials of healing potions will be delivered to your inn. As I mentioned, we keep it here in reserve in case of emergency and more will need to be sent from the capital which will take at least a week to get here. Generally people are healed in Father Doburn's weekly services, and not by elixer. You should go to one of his services once you've accomplished your goals, they're really quite inspiring. It is said that he can heal, create food and water and even raise the dead with the full power of the congregation in worship with him, although I've not witnessed the dead raised by him myself.

"Payment will happen if you return with Aiden after Sir Taris returns. Do not worry yourselves about that. A contract made by me is a contract made by Sir Taris himself, and he will be well pleased with the safe return of the boy. I seek haste not so I can raid coffers to pay, but to put this matter behind us as quickly and well as possible.

"As to arranging land in lieu of gold, I believe we can accomodate that. After the cult is destroyed, we will discuss parcels of land to find what is to your liking and what we are willing to offer. There is farmable land and there is forest and there are the crags and tors of the foothills, and they serve differently the needs of men. Who knows,"
he says with a hint of smile, "you may find that having Skull Mountain rid of the cult as your fortess is payment enough."
greyarea

Postby Professor P » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:01 pm

KALVAIN (paladin)

Happy with Gruber's explanation, KALVAIN partakes in the meal and has a single glass of wine. When the others finish asking about rewards (something of little interest to KALVAIN), he asks, "would we be able to receive a pack mule to carry our equipment and arms and ware to and fro the volcano?"
Rolling my Percent Chance to Know to parse Dungeons and Dragons.
Professor P

PreviousNext

Return to Skull Mountain