Thank the gods for Labyrinth Lord!

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: Thank the gods for Labyrinth Lord!

Postby ancarr13 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:50 am

I feel really young saying this, I started on 4e, and was told that the rest of the editions were crap untill I tried 3.5, From there I progressed to 1e and LL, I have to say though, Labyrinth Lord is the best
-Whats THAC0?
-Are you Serious?
-Yeah, whats THAC0?
-Just...just go, get out of here
ancarr13

Postby elf23 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:29 am

YHWH wrote:I guess I'm in the minority then; we started with AD&D 1st directly.

Funny thing is, even without starting with Basic it wasn't that different in practice. I'm certain we didn't use segments, casting time or weapon vs ac.

It's like Gygax stapled on some extra rules that didn't pan out in practice for most, so everybody is basically playing the same game unless you insist on playing very by-the-book.

Yeah I guess LL + AEC is covering both bases in a way... 1. AD&D as it was commonly played (with some of the more complex bits stripped out), 2. basic D&D with extra bits & pieces from AD&D bolted on. A very nice middle ground! :D
elf23

Postby elf23 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:31 am

ancarr13 wrote:I feel really young saying this, I started on 4e, and was told that the rest of the editions were crap untill I tried 3.5, From there I progressed to 1e and LL, I have to say though, Labyrinth Lord is the best

Nice to hear about an experience of "retrofication" :) I guess it just depends on how ones tastes swing... great that the old games are becoming more available though again now, for those of us whose tastes go that way.
elf23

Postby by_the_sword » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:26 pm

I began my gaming experiences much in the same way as the rest. Moldvay Basic and Expert sets, then gradually incorporating the AD&D books. I have played all of the editions of D&D and I find that I like Labyrinth Lord the best because of it's conciseness and ease of creating characters. This "quick start" capacity makes it so much easier to start a campaign and jump right into the adventure.

Reading the material also brings back the sense of wonder that I had when I was first discovering the game. I don't know if newer players feel this, it may just be my personal reaction to the books. But I definitely believe that LL has captured the spirit of D&D without many of the complications.
by_the_sword

Postby Adapt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:24 am

ancarr13 wrote:I feel really young saying this, I started on 4e, and was told that the rest of the editions were crap untll I tried 3.5, From there I progressed to 1e and LL, I have to say though, Labyrinth Lord is the best

I love hearing this kind of thing! By the way, welcome to the forums! :D
Running: Arizona Territory 1873 (FATE Old West pbp), The Northwest Barony (Labyrinth Lord pbp)
Playing: Night's Dark Terror (Labyrinth Lord pbp)

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby elf23 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:46 am

by_the_sword wrote:I have played all of the editions of D&D and I find that I like Labyrinth Lord the best because of it's conciseness and ease of creating characters. This "quick start" capacity makes it so much easier to start a campaign and jump right into the adventure.

Absolutely, a massive plus point!

by_the_sword wrote:Reading the material also brings back the sense of wonder that I had when I was first discovering the game. I don't know if newer players feel this, it may just be my personal reaction to the books. But I definitely believe that LL has captured the spirit of D&D without many of the complications.

Yeah I find that too... I'm really impressed how LL manages to capture "that magic" which the old basic D&D / AD&D Books have.
elf23

Postby Blood axe » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:45 pm

ancarr13 wrote:I feel really young saying this, I started on 4e, and was told that the rest of the editions were crap untill I tried 3.5, From there I progressed to 1e and LL, I have to say though, Labyrinth Lord is the best

Opinions vary. I thought 4th edition was the worst.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Previous

Return to Open Discussion