LL/AEC Demo Kit

For discussion of the Labyrinth Lord Society, Society events, or anything else Society related.

LL/AEC Demo Kit

Postby Eldrad » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:21 am

To repeat what I posted!
I think a bunch of us should get together and make a FREE demo kit. It should include a really well done adventure and 20 pre-rolled characters. I was going to a con this weekend but life got in the way and I was going to write up a demo LL/AEC adventure with pre-made characters but life got in the way.

SO What say you all? Shall we write up a demo kit? A free PDF of course! ;)
Eldrad

Re: LL/AEC Demo Kit

Postby Blood axe » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:42 am

Sounds like a great idea. Two or three of each Class type would be good. Maybe a short adventure too.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby greyarea » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:01 am

Maybe using the collaborative adventure we worked on these past few months, and create a few appropriate characters here too. That way it's emphasizing not only the game itself but the community that supports it.
greyarea

Postby Blood axe » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:13 am

greyarea wrote:Maybe using the collaborative adventure we worked on these past few months, and create a few appropriate characters here too. That way it's emphasizing not only the game itself but the community that supports it.

That huge dungeon?? ;) Id keep it pretty small & simple. A small adventure with some pregens would be a good idea.
Blood axe

Postby Dyson Logos » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:15 am

Quick hint - don't make the characters level 1. Demoing level 1 of a game is a mistake a lot of companies make. It gives a very lopsided view of the game itself. I play a lot of demo games, and this is something I've run across time and again. Make the characters powerful enough that the players get a kick out of playing.

Best to look at level 3 (so the magic user has a level 2 spell to cast) or possibly even level 5 (so there are a bunch of spells and the thief is going to start being useful). Actually, go by XP total instead of actual level, but aim for level 3 or 5 Magic User XP levels for this.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Craigers07 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:35 am

It sounds like a good idea and a fun project. I’ll check back here now and then to see how it develops. I agree with Dyson that 3+ would be an ideal starting level.
Craigers07

Postby Vlark » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:18 pm

That collaborative adventure would work. Or you could use one of Dyson's already existing adventures. Then, all you would need to do is add the pre-gens & a DM screen. If the whole thing is put together, it'd be ready to roll for a con and all you'd have to add is your own dice--no need to even bring the rule book (of course, you'd want to, to show it off!).
Vlark

Postby Eldrad » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:24 pm

I was thinking of giving all the demo characters 6000xp to start with.
Have a few quest added into the dungeon so it can have many different stories to tell.
The dungeon could be 20 geomorphs and the room contents put on cards or on a table for ease of use and always create a different dungeon.
Have more encounters than you do rooms to make each adventure unique.
Of course Dyson's Dungeons are already made.
Well let's get started!
Eldrad

Postby Blood axe » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:43 pm

I think around level 3 is great. Not too powerful, but not so weak that one shot kills you.
Blood axe

Postby Eldrad » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:03 pm

BUT should we really let them start out more powerful or should we provide many replacement characters? I always provide multiple prison areas to allow new PCs to enter the game. If no one is needing to put in a new character then the prison cell is empty.

I would not want to give off the wrong impression of the game. Getting killed is half the fun of old school gaming but surviving against all those odds is the other half. ;)
Eldrad

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord Society