Dragon Turtle: Intelligent or Not?

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Dragon Turtle: Intelligent or Not?

Postby petespahn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:17 am

Just wondering how you handle dragon turtles in your game. Do you play them as intelligent animals or more like dragons? I've always run them as more dragon-like personally, but the description leaves it pretty open. Every module I've seen with a dragon turtle has played them pretty much as animals that attack if you tick them off (or land your boat on them), although I'm sure there are exceptions.
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Re: Dragon Turtle: Intelligent or Not?

Postby bighara » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:01 am

FWIW, the AD&D MM lists them as "Very" intelligent. I've always imagined them with at least human level INT.

SPOILERS

In Wrack & Rune, the DT isn't stupid, it's just hungry and feeding before going back to its lair for a long sleep. It's not attacking out of malice, it's largely indifferent to the people around its hunting grounds. If the party finds a way to engage it in conversation, they might be able to RP some sort of deal.
bighara

Postby Malcadon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:24 am

Dragon Turtles are smart, but Dragonne Turtles on the other hand can teach you Energy-bending. ;)

Last edited by Malcadon on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby bighara » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:26 pm

bighara

Return to Labyrinth Lord