Third Age Options?

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Third Age Options?

Postby Eldrad » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:27 am

Dan,

What do you think of writing a LL supplement called the 3rd age options?

BASICally it would take the 3rd edition classes and races and mix them with the LL rules minus feats and skills but with many of the class options simplified.
Eldrad

Re: Third Age Options?

Postby elf23 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:36 am

Just out of interest, what 3e races and classes were there that aren't in AD&D, say? I've only played 3rd edition D&D like twice, so I'm not that familiar with it.
elf23

Postby PeripheralBlue » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:28 am

elf23 wrote:Just out of interest, what 3e races and classes were there that aren't in AD&D, say? I've only played 3rd edition D&D like twice, so I'm not that familiar with it.

None, at least when we're talking about the material located in the d20 SRD. Actually, no, there were a few prestige classes like Dwarven Defender, Loremaster, Blackguard, Arcane Archer and so on and so forth. Outside of the the SRD there are, like, thousands of prestige classes that have been released in various sources. Literally, like, thousands. The vast majority of 'em being just a "flavour-of-the-week" kind of deal, really.

All that aside, there are some AD&D classes that showed up in 3.X as prestige classes -i.e: Assassin- but only one that recieved a treatment in both AD&D and 3.X as a core class, and has yet to be introduced in LL. That class would be Barbarian. Now, I think that anyone that has seen that class as it was set down in Unearthed Arcana would agree with me in saying that that particular class would require a lot of re-working. A lot.

EDIT:

Oh, right, races... sheesh. Um, again, there are no races unique to 3.X seen in the SRD. However, when it comes to the material printed by WotC alone there are, uh, tons. Like, a whole whack of 'em. Going beyond WotC's junk just makes my brain ache. Again, there is some good stuff, but not too much when you consider the sheer amount which managed to find its way out the printers' doors.
Last edited by PeripheralBlue on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PeripheralBlue

Postby Dyson Logos » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:50 pm

I have a pile of this stuff already done over here somewhere called "B/X Third Era". I started on it about 18 months ago and stopped after a couple of months. It must still be on my old Linux laptop somewhere.

I was working on conversions of the following NON open items (that would have to be reskinned a bit before being able to be released):

- Warlock from Complete Arcane
- Binder from Tome of Magic (fortunately redone by another company as an open class)

And the following open classes

- Sorcerer
- Barbarian
- Assassin w/ magic (like the prestige class in 3x)
- Death Knight from the Everquest RPG
- Archer
- Bard

For races

- Half-Ogre
- Nezumi
- Goblins
- Cambion & Alu-Demon
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby PeripheralBlue » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Ah, yeah, the bard... forgot about that one.
PeripheralBlue

Postby Eldrad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:40 am

Hey Post some of these.

Think about the simplicity of LL with the modern options of the D20 system! No race and class restrictions AND NO LEVEL LIMITS!

The book would sell I think.
Eldrad

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 pm

I could see some utility for the barbarian, bard and sorcerer. But I am not sure this would require a full book.
rabindranath72

Postby Eldrad » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:35 am

Yeah we could just make it a supplement.
Eldrad

Postby Blood axe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:06 am

Id love to see this. Do you have anything to show? (something- "work-in-progress")
This could be a 20+ page supplement.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Return to Labyrinth Lord