A couple of Questions about ships

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

A couple of Questions about ships

Postby John Adams » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:43 am

So, can a scout ship have two, half-pods for its Power Pile Base?

Ships in S&S have very small crews. Should we assume the ships are quite a bit smaller than say, starships in the old TOS Star Trek? I am aware that Reboot Trek ships are far bigger than TOS ships.

And how close can we make our starship designs to TOS without causing problems? Where is the line or should we just go a completely different direction for starship design? I plan on releasing them for free.
John Adams

Re: A couple of Questions about ships

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:41 pm

You could give it two half pods for aesthetic reasons, or just one full pod. It's really easy to customize the ships. The ships are probably smaller, though I'm not really up on how big TOS ships are supposed to be. But since crew size is smaller it's logical that the ships generally are smaller. TOS was different (as I'm sure you know) from TNG in that TNG had families, civilians, etc. on the ships. Starship designs I think are something you're going to want to be careful about. For most ships n S&S is there is a saucer and one or more pods. I know this is vague, but in arranging pods and general saucer shape I'd steer away from the "Trek style" as much as possible.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby John Adams » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:47 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:You could give it two half pods for aesthetic reasons, or just one full pod. It's really easy to customize the ships. The ships are probably smaller, though I'm not really up on how big TOS ships are supposed to be. But since crew size is smaller it's logical that the ships generally are smaller. TOS was different (as I'm sure you know) from TNG in that TNG had families, civilians, etc. on the ships. Starship designs I think are something you're going to want to be careful about. For most ships n S&S is there is a saucer and one or more pods. I know this is vague, but in arranging pods and general saucer shape I'd steer away from the "Trek style" as much as possible.

Got it! Thanks. :)
John Adams

Postby Grif » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:42 pm

If you go here:

http://nerdnyc.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47953

there's a fan-made ship-sheet (plus some other useful stuff!) with a nice illo of a starship is "Trek-style" and yet isn't!
Grif
Grif

Postby John Adams » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:40 am

Grif wrote:If you go here:

http://nerdnyc.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47953

there's a fan-made ship-sheet (plus some other useful stuff!) with a nice illo of a starship is "Trek-style" and yet isn't!
Grif

Nice link, thanks. Although it looks like the ship is modeled after one in Fasa Trek.

But I get the point, we need to design our confederation ships in their own, unique way, but still make us think TOS. Sounds like a challenge. :)
John Adams

Postby Kathulos » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:00 pm

Throwing this question in here since it deals with starships and communication.
Are there any hard rules for power costs, distance, and speed for subspace communication?
Kathulos

Return to Starships & Spacemen