Thoughts on the book

For discussion of the zombie survival horror game.

Thoughts on the book

Postby Goblinoid Games » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:18 pm

For those of you who have seen the book, I just wanted to get your comments about it. I wanted to cover the topic fairly comprehensibly but also keep the book from bloating (no pun intended) with material that is not so useful. That is one thing some books do, provide a lot of filler that doesn't help you actually sit down and play.

Someone started a thread at RPGnet but didn't get a reply, maybe if anyone here posts there they could drop in and comment?

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?599 ... -how-is-it
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on the book

Postby Blood axe » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Overall I think it was good. Id like more art, more game play/rules examples, a few sample characters/ NPCs, a mini starting adventure.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:51 pm

You've already read my first thoughts within my review. I only saw 2 minor typo/editing error while reading the book. (I'll have to go back and find both since I cannot recall offhand.) Personally, I think a miniature version of the Action Table should be presented earlier in the text to aid reading comprehension. Not that its hard to find but flipping back and forth breaks comprehension while reading for me. I did like split of the book between the major sections.

I agree with Blood axe on the mini scenario. The three pages of mini-refuges would be better used as a mini scenario featuring one of the three locales. Alternatively, a free short scenario would be a good idea as a companion download. Beyond that, I like the book because it didn't tie the system into a specific implementation. The lack of extraneous filler was a plus.

Character generation is quick and simple. I applaud that. I'm not sure why the Lance, horsemans skill wasn't in the mounted skill section rather than armed melee. With only four skills requiring prerequisites, I would have leaned toward not including them but I can also see why they were included. [That's one typo: Advanced Self Defense is #5 with a prerequisite but wasn't marked in the list as such].

Just my $0.02.
Mark

Postby akfu23 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:09 am

Goblinoid Games wrote:Someone started a thread at RPGnet but didn't get a reply, maybe if anyone here posts there they could drop in and comment?

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?599464-ROTWORLD-by-Goblinoid-Games-how-is-it

Yeah, that was me...

100+ views and not a single reply? Weird.
akfu23

Postby Blood axe » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:25 am

Probably because you have to register an account to comment.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby redwullf » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:19 am

Both LL and the AEC, I'd like to see all the spells listed as one section, in alphabetical order, rather then in sub-sections by class. This would require each spell to include an expansion in the "Level" listing (example: Dispel Magic Level: Cleric 3, Druid 4). The spell tables already let us see which class has access to what spells. It'd be nice to just put them all together in alphabetical order, so we don't first have to find the class section, then the spell. Makes it easier to tab the book, too. ;)

In the AEC, I'd like to see an updated master Hit table, reflecting all of the classes (i.e. Monks hit as thieves...). We can assume the Ranger and Paladin hit as Fighters, since they're subclasses, but their descriptions don't specifically say this. And with no updated Hit table to reference... well, you get the point. We got updated ST tables, an updated Hit table to go with them would be nice.

Otherwise, it's just friggin' perfect. Don't change a thing. ;)
“The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” E. G. G.
redwullf

Postby Zevious Zoquis » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:51 am

redwullf wrote:Both LL and the AEC, I'd like to see all the spells listed as one section, in alphabetical order, rather then in sub-sections by class. This would require each spell to include an expansion in the "Level" listing (example: Dispel Magic Level: Cleric 3, Druid 4). The spell tables already let us see which class has access to what spells. It'd be nice to just put them all together in alphabetical order, so we don't first have to find the class section, then the spell. Makes it easier to tab the book, too. ;)

In the AEC, I'd like to see an updated master Hit table, reflecting all of the classes (i.e. Monks hit as thieves...). We can assume the Ranger and Paladin hit as Fighters, since they're subclasses, but their descriptions don't specifically say this. And with no updated Hit table to reference... well, you get the point. We got updated ST tables, an updated Hit table to go with them would be nice.

erm...we're talking about ROTWORLD here bub.

:)
Zevious Zoquis

Postby redwullf » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:12 pm

Zevious Zoquis wrote:
redwullf wrote:Both LL and the AEC, I'd like to see all the spells listed as one section, in alphabetical order, rather then in sub-sections by class. This would require each spell to include an expansion in the "Level" listing (example: Dispel Magic Level: Cleric 3, Druid 4). The spell tables already let us see which class has access to what spells. It'd be nice to just put them all together in alphabetical order, so we don't first have to find the class section, then the spell. Makes it easier to tab the book, too. ;)

erm...we're talking about ROTWORLD here bub.

:)

Mental note, check forum title before responding. I just saw "Thoughts on the book" in my listing of unread posts and didn't note the forum it was in. Please accept my apologies.

However, I still stand by my requests for improvements to the LL/AEC books! :mrgreen:
“The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” E. G. G.
redwullf

Postby rjbs » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi! I saw the book on Grognardia and immediately picked it up. My first response might not be of the sort you meant, but: the page that is second in the PDF seems to be the rear cover. Because the PDF is in some way "protected" I can't easily move the page to the last position in Preview or Reader the way I can with most other PDFs. This makes it harder for me to print a spiral-bound copy of it at my local Staples as I have done with my copies of Labyrinth Lord and other Goblinoid games.

I'd love to see this fixed in a future "printing." I don't know if this is actually a feature for you. I really prefer printing my own copies, though, to get spiral binding.

The game looks great. Once I've read it more thoroughly, I will try to post again about the content. Thanks for all the cool work you do!
rjbs

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:19 pm

rjbs wrote:Hi! I saw the book on Grognardia and immediately picked it up. My first response might not be of the sort you meant, but: the page that is second in the PDF seems to be the rear cover. Because the PDF is in some way "protected" I can't easily move the page to the last position in Preview or Reader the way I can with most other PDFs. This makes it harder for me to print a spiral-bound copy of it at my local Staples as I have done with my copies of Labyrinth Lord and other Goblinoid games.

I'd love to see this fixed in a future "printing." I don't know if this is actually a feature for you. I really prefer printing my own copies, though, to get spiral binding.

The game looks great. Once I've read it more thoroughly, I will try to post again about the content. Thanks for all the cool work you do!

Hi rjbs, thanks for dropping in! I never put any restrictions on the PDFs I sell, so I wonder of there is some other technical glitch? I'm not quite sure what you're describing.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Next

Return to ROTWORLD