Mutants & Mazes Help Needed!

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Mutants & Mazes Help Needed!

Postby KesselZero » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:57 am

Hi all,

I've begun putting together a new post-apoc game for some friends who are interested in trying tabletop RPGs for the first time. I did a bit of research into game systems and Mutant Future immediately jumped out at me, especially its compatibility with Labyrinth Lord, since the setting I'm creating is specifically a post-apoc of a fantasy future (i.e. dwarves and elves and mutants and magic and lasers simultaneously, etc. etc.). So the "Mutants & Mazes" concept seems like a perfect fit.

I read through the conversion rules in the back of the MF book and it seems pretty straightforward-- just tone down the HP and powers of the MF classes and you're good to go. Is that really all there is? I started comparing monsters from MF and LL and they look identical. Are they really? Can I just drop any monster from either system in? (I'm mostly worried that MF monsters will be too powerful for LL characters.) What about rules for XP, items and treasure, etc.? Is there anything I need to know besides what's covered in the back of MF?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!
KZ
KesselZero

Re: Mutants & Mazes Help Needed!

Postby KesselZero » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:34 am

To clarify, I think my main questions aside from comparative strength of monsters are:

*What XP progression tables should I use for Mutant Future characters? The same one as usual in MF or perhaps the Fighter table from LL?

*How do I calculate XP for Mutant Future monsters that have a set HP value rather than hit dice?

Thanks!
KesselZero

Postby Wizardawn » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:42 am

KesselZero wrote:*What XP progression tables should I use for Mutant Future characters? The same one as usual in MF or perhaps the Fighter table from LL?

See page 146 of Mutant Future.

KesselZero wrote:*How do I calculate XP for Mutant Future monsters that have a set HP value rather than hit dice?

I don't change anything. You still roll the same dice no matter the system. Just watch out for Morlocks because the MF ones are stronger than the LL ones. As for fixed HP, I would just dived by 8 to come up with HD. A 50HP monster is 6 HD to me. Is this the right thing to do? For me it is. Keeps it simple. I don't want to get into debates of dice roll min/max % chance crap.

Mutants & Mazes was meant to take a MF character into the LL world. This means no laser guns or flying cars, just a mutant with mutations fighting dragons. It does not cover the opposite direction (or the direction you are taking by mixing the stuff together). If you are going to use LL as the basis for the rules, you might want to check out my Technology & Trolls supplement for such games. It takes all the sci-fi gadgets and makes them easier to implement in a world where daggers are common weapons with their 1d4 damage. A Mutant Future plasma pistol does 7d6 damage where a Technology & Trolls plasma pistol does 2d8 damage. I did these types of things to introduce sci-fi weapons into "fantasy hands" while decreasing the over-powering effects of such things. There is also some information on quickly taking a fantasy creature and giving them a sci-fi makeover. You might find this supplement useful.

Also check out my Future Labyrinth Expedition tool. What this does is creates an adventure in the spirit of "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" by using both MF and LL/AEC. It generates the sci-fi loot by using the Technology & Trolls supplement. This tool might help you as well.
Wizardawn

Postby KesselZero » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Wizardawn wrote:See page 146 of Mutant Future.

Oh, durr, thanks.

Wizardawn wrote:Mutants & Mazes was meant to take a MF character into the LL world.

This explains a lot! I think this is at the heart of my question-- the M&M variant rules tone down MF characters for use in LL, but that means that the high-powered stuff from MF won't always play nice. I suppose you could just drop those 7d6 plasma pistols right in, if you were very, very cautious about it, since they technically use all the same rules, just do a boatload more damage. I read through your Technology & Trolls supplement, though, and found it very helpful. I'll probably use it as a guideline as I put my campaign together. Thanks for creating it! I've actually been a huge fan of your site for a while-- I find generators like you make extremely useful-- so thanks in general!

Regarding monsters, I'm still a bit uncertain. I really want to make full use of the cool monsters in MF, like the Chicken Wolf and whatnot. Am I safe in throwing these against LL or M&M style characters as long as I follow the usual wisdom regarding HD and all that? Or are MF monsters more powerful than LL monsters of the same HD?

Thanks!
KesselZero

Postby Wizardawn » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:24 pm

KesselZero wrote:Regarding monsters, I'm still a bit uncertain. I really want to make full use of the cool monsters in MF, like the Chicken Wolf and whatnot. Am I safe in throwing these against LL or M&M style characters as long as I follow the usual wisdom regarding HD and all that? Or are MF monsters more powerful than LL monsters of the same HD?

Yup...use the LL wisdom for that. If you notice, the Carcass Scavenger are identical in stats. You'll be fine. Don't get caught up on the PC HD being so high for MF in comparison to MF monsters. That is mainly to accommodate a world with no clerics to heal you plus the high damage taken from someone shooting a plasma rifle at you. A red dragon does 4d8 with the breath weapon while a plasma rifle does 8d6 damage.
Wizardawn

Postby KesselZero » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Wizardawn wrote:Yup...use the LL wisdom for that. If you notice, the Carcass Scavenger are identical in stats. You'll be fine. Don't get caught up on the PC HD being so high for MF in comparison to MF monsters. That is mainly to accommodate a world with no clerics to heal you plus the high damage taken from someone shooting a plasma rifle at you. A red dragon does 4d8 with the breath weapon while a plasma rifle does 8d6 damage.

Awesome. Thanks again for all the help!

...Someday I want to send some PCs with power armor and plasma rifles against a red dragon.
KesselZero

Return to Mutant Future