Why the high chance for Drawbacks?

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Re: Why the high chance for Drawbacks?

Postby mightyuncle » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:45 pm

I do agree with the sentiment that drawbacks provide new challenges for roleplaying as well as making players truly consider the pros and cons of the tactics they use in combat and the potentially hazardous decisions they will make when adventuring. Keeping the players on the edge of their seats with a few die rolls is part of the fun when GMing, IMO.

I also play MF a bit more "gritty" than what I've gleaned from a number of you, so I can totally understand why you'd want less drawbacks in a more "Wahoo" setting.
mightyuncle

Postby Blood axe » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:01 pm

mightyuncle wrote:I do agree with the sentiment that drawbacks provide new challenges for roleplaying as well as making players truly consider the pros and cons of the tactics they use in combat and the potentially hazardous decisions they will make when adventuring. Keeping the players on the edge of their seats with a few die rolls is part of the fun when GMing, IMO.

I also play MF a bit more "gritty" than what I've gleaned from a number of you, so I can totally understand why you'd want less drawbacks in a more "Wahoo" setting.

Right, but it should be balanced, or close. Its not. The chance for a drawback for a mental vs. physical mutation is very different.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Eldrad » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:35 am

QUIT YOUR CRYING AND TAKE WHAT YOU ROLL!

Bunch of babies would not survive a day in the wasteland! OH I broke a nail it's a defect I can't make it! WAAAAAA! :(
Eldrad

Postby Blood axe » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Eldrad wrote:QUIT YOUR CRYING AND TAKE WHAT YOU ROLL!

Bunch of babies would not survive a day in the wasteland! OH I broke a nail it's a defect I can't make it! WAAAAAA! :(

Seriously, why bother?
A spam post that adds nothing to the conversation.
And nearly 3 months after......
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Malcadon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:33 am

If you are going to spam, solicit something useful! The Metamorphica is not just the bast damn list of mutations, it also includes tables that lists positive and negative mutations. The file is free, and the hardcopy dose not cost much. The only downside, is that you have to fill-in the rule notes -- unless you're not tough enough to do some manly paperwork. ;)
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby MythAdvocate » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:16 pm

In real-life, mutations are almost always drawbacks. I like this element in MF, that most mutants are at least partially handicapped. It makes the truly powerful amongst them all the more impressive.
MythAdvocate

Postby Malcadon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 pm

And in real life, exposure to high-levels of radiation gives you cancer and malformed babies (with a high-rate of miscarriages). Thankfully, this game works like a comic book, so more often then not, you'll gain the power of flight, telekinesis, and the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away... with mind bullets! :o (A cookie for anyone how gets the reference, without looking that up. :ugeek:) But like any superhero, all that power needs a balancing-act -- some weaknesses.

I'm in the camp that positive mutations should be equal or greater in number, then negative mutations, as the world is already dangerous as is, and a character with mostly defects would be a challenge, but would not be all that fun to play with.
Malcadon

Postby Agrippa » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:03 am

The telekinetic and yak killing mind bullet shooting part reminds just a little bit about the game Exalted. Of course you have to be an Exalted of the Yozi to do that.
Agrippa

Postby bighara » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Malcadon wrote:the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away... with mind bullets! :o (A cookie for anyone how gets the reference, without looking that up. :ugeek:)

Oh jeez! Arg. Must. Resist. The Google!

Is that... Wonderboy?

*goes to look it up*
bighara

Postby Malcadon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:32 am

bighara wrote:
Malcadon wrote:the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away... with mind bullets! :o (A cookie for anyone how gets the reference, without looking that up. :ugeek:)

Oh jeez! Arg. Must. Resist. The Google!

Is that... Wonderboy?

*goes to look it up*

No... Cookie... For yooou!!! :shock:
Malcadon

PreviousNext

Return to Mutant Future