Warriors! come out to play....

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Warriors! come out to play....

Postby Blood axe » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:57 pm

>clink< >clink< >clink<
Warriors! Come out to play....

The Warriors. A gang movie 1979.

A few membets of a street gang, The Warriors, travels to a meeting of hundreds of other gangs. All are under a truce to hear a man who wants to unite all the gangs to take over the cities. The meeting doesnt work out as planned. The Warriors are stranded far from their home turf. Thats bad enough. But now the truce is broken & all the rival gangs are hunting them down. Can The Warriors fight their way back home? The odds are against them.....

If you have seen the movie, you know what im talking sbout. If you havent, just google it, or use wikipedia.

I thought this would make a cool one shot pbp game.

Thoughts??
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: Warriors! come out to play....

Postby Blood axe » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:49 pm

I'm just thinking what I can use for combat. There will be a lot of unarmed fighting. Perhaps each combatant gets a bonus for skill, a weapon, etc
Each then rolls the dice, add bonuses, then judge results bases on the difference between the two. Only very little LL rules used. Level, hit points, a bit more
Blood axe

Postby Vargr1105 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Blood axe wrote:>clink< >clink< >clink<
Warriors! Come out to play....

CAN YOU DIG IT? CAAAAN YOUUUU DIG IT?!

Yeah, I know what you are talking about.

"The Warriors" is an adaptation from a 1965 novel which is based on Xenophon's Anabasis. It tells the (true) story of the "Ten Thousand" a large company of Greek mercenaries working for a faction in the Persian Civil War during the 5th Century B.C. After their Persian employer, their general and superior officers are slain or captured they find themselves deep in enemy territory and on the side of a lost cause. They elect new leaders from among their ranks to lead them out of Persia towards the Black Sea and the Greek city-states. Not only do they have the Persians on their heels, they have to deal with hostile natives, cross deserts and mountains.

The Anabasis has been called "one of the great adventures in human history". It is perhaps, together with the Last Stand of the 300 Spartans and the Battles of Alexander, the greatest tale of military courage in the face of overwhelming odds that we have from the Bronze Age.

I have not read yet, but I think going back to the original, pre-industrial, source might serve a LL game better than using the movie as inspiration. There are also modern literary adaptations of Xenophon's tale that don't fast forward 2400 years and place it one the other side of the Atlantic, if you don't fancy delving into the classic.

I mean...honestly, what screams "LL" more?

This?

This?

This?

This?

This?

Or...this?
Vargr1105

Postby Blood axe » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:23 am

They mention the 10,000 in the beginning of the movie now as inspiration. The medieval thing has been done alot obviously. The gang pbp hasnt. :D
Blood axe

Postby shart2069 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:44 am

You could probably use Escape from New York as inspiration as well.

Same basic idea of decaying dystopian NYC inhabited by savages...

I will say that when I was younger I was fascinated by all the bizarre gangs with their weird "themes" in the movie.

The real NYC these days has lost a lot of "flavor" after a couple decades of gentrification. Safer, but less interesting.

(PS: Shameless plug for my D&D continent map in the MAPS subforum. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1559#p33859 )
BLOG: https://almostoldschool.wordpress.com/

http://www.meetup.com/Hudson-Valley-Labyrinth-Looters/

"There are three objectives in D&D: collecting treasure, gaining experience points and, most importantly, staying alive." - What is Dungeons & Dragons? p.86
shart2069

Postby rredmond » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:09 pm

Loved the Warriors movie. Now I'll have to find that book.

Darn you, yet again Vargr, darn you to heck!!!
:)
DOWNLOAD THE NEW ISSUE -- FREE NOW!
CLICK ON THE BANNER BELOW!!
Oak Rapp - screaming "die" in orcish b/c it sounds cooler.
Phaser on stun *pew pew*. Phaser on kill *poo poo*!
rredmond

Postby greyarea » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:31 pm

If you're doing Warriors (great flick, btw) it might make sense to use the ROTWORLD system. No zombies but they aren't necessary, are they?

If you're doing Anabasis then LL rules might work well. Just warriors and thieves, no demihumans (except demihuman "gangs" perhaps) or magic classes.

If you're doing your own thing just using the story as a basis, then any ruleset should work fine. :)
greyarea

Postby Victorian » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:49 pm

It'd be a really great game, no matter what you use. I think I might have to do something Warriors inspired some time. But with goblins! Yeah!
Victorian

Return to Open Discussion