STR doesn't exist, so how to score it?

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

STR doesn't exist, so how to score it?

Postby sniderman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:35 pm

OK, I'm working on a new PC race that has an interesting twist -- the PC does not have a physical form and cannot typically interact with the physical world. (Picture a "ghost" for the concept.) I have the basics and game balance of the template worked out to my satisfaction, but there's one thing that has me a bit befuddled -- how to treat STR.

INT - The PC is a thinking being, so this is rolled normally.
CON - This score affects the PC's radiation save (which can affect them) so it's rolled normally.
DEX - It's still important to know how "quick" the PC is, as well as affecting AC score, so this is rolled normally.
WIL - As a mental being, WIL will be crucial.
CHA - Sure, why not?

But the PC will not have a STR score to speak of. There's no need for it for this template. But, for the sake of gameplay, is it needed in some manner? So, should STR appear as:

"Not Applicable" - The score just doesn't exist
"0" - The score is effectively set at zero.
"1" - The score is "1" as it's the smallest number available for use.
"3" - The score is "3" as it's the lowest number appearing as a STR score on the table.

What's your opinion?
sniderman

Re: STR doesn't exist, so how to score it?

Postby kipper » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:04 pm

If the race cannot interact with the physical world at all, then STR is meaningless. For example, if the character somehow got a "+5 bonus to STR" then he would still be equally unable to interact with the physical world, so STR would not effectively increase. So in this case STR should be "N/A".

However, if you imagine the race to be able to feebly interact with the physical world (which ability could theoretically be increased by magic), then an actual STR score is needed. Whether that be 0, 1, or 3 would depend on how strongly you imagine the interaction to be.
0 = unable to interact with the physical world, but ability to interact can be increased (at least theoretically).
1 = only able to interact in the most feeble manner, not enough to be able to manipulate heavy objects however.
3 = able to interact with the physical world and able to manipulate heavy objects sometimes.

Also, logically there may be a problem if you say that the race cannot interact with the physical world at all, but at the same time can be damaged by normal weapons... So by this reasoning, giving them a STR score (of 1 or 3) supports the idea that they can touch (and be touched by) normal physical objects.
kipper

Postby greyarea » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:02 am

I say, let them roll it up. If STR is inconsequential, then it doesn't matter what they roll up. Let them try to come up with ways to use it in the scenario. :)
greyarea

Postby sniderman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:28 am

Ah, but high STR scores give bonuses to hit and damage, which are not applicable when the PC has no ability to interact with the physical world. I don't want to offer bonuses they don't truly "have".

Other than STR bonuses in combat and "roll vs. STR to see if you can lift/carry it" events, I'm trying to recall if there are times a PC's STR score comes into play in any other ways that would be disruptive if the score was non-existent.
sniderman

Postby seneschal » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Does the race have any telekinetic ability to manipulate objects, however feebly?

Does it have any mind control abilities to get other people to do the job for it?
seneschal

Postby sniderman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:02 pm

seneschal wrote:Does the race have any telekinetic ability to manipulate objects, however feebly?

Does it have any mind control abilities to get other people to do the job for it?

Yes, as envisioned, the race cannot have any physical mutations as it's, well, not "anchored" to the physical realm. But it can definitely possess mental mutations, so it could interact that way. But a quick review of mental mutations didn't reveal any that hinge on a PC's STR score, unless I missed it?
sniderman

Postby Agrippa » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:44 pm

sniderman wrote:
seneschal wrote:Does the race have any telekinetic ability to manipulate objects, however feebly?

Yes, as envisioned, the race cannot have any physical mutations as it's, well, not "anchored" to the physical realm. But it can definitely possess mental mutations, so it could interact that way. But a quick review of mental mutations didn't reveal any that hinge on a PC's STR score, unless I missed it?

I can see giving these "ghosts" some physical mutations. I'm thinking along the lines of dwarfism/giantism, unique sense, enery ray, night and infared vision. Maybe you could help me with something I'm working on. It's already using Mutant Future as a base.
Agrippa

Postby gentleman john » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:16 am

If there is even a chance that your race will be able to engage in melee combat at all, then I believe you will need a STR score. Under the RAW, you need STR to act as a modifier to your "to hit" rolls - indeed, that is the primary mechanical function of the STR characteristic. The fact that your race is intangible and cannot normally interact with the rest of the world is (if you'll forgive the pun) immaterial. Given that it is MF, the possibility will exist in some game, somewhere that this can happen.

There is some precedent for this way forward. The old TSR book "Tall Tales of the Wee Folk" acknowledged that a pixie's STR had nothing to do with its ability to lift loads - it was all about how effectively the pixie could wield a weapon. Carrying capacity was just subject to a modifier.
gentleman john

Postby petespahn » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:38 am

My first thought was how these creatures interact with each other. Can they harm each other physically (in their own dimension)? As in, can one ghost attack another ghost's ectoplasmic form? If so, you'll need STR to determine which ghosts are stronger than others.

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby Malcadon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

I have no idea what you are working on, but I can make wild guesses. ;)

If they have no physical output, then a Strength score would be irreverent. Much like how undead and animated constructs in 3e have no INT, WIL, CON or CHA (unless imbued with intelligence), while inanimate trees or plants have nothing (unless animated and/or intelligent). The score could easily be "nil", with bonuses ignored, or re-rolled, in the case of EXP bonuses.

If your concept is just a disembodied mind (like a hologram character, robotic brain or wired-up brain-in-a-jar), and it has some sort of telekinesis (be it by science, magic or mental powers), then Willpower would make an appropriate score, as Willpower represent the force of one's mind. On the other hand, if it has an intangible body that cannot effect the physical world, but can physically effect others like it (like a ghosts or physically displaced dimensional walkers), then it would have a normal STR score with an asterisk (*) to note it unusual nature.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Next

Return to Mutant Future