Turgenev's Map Thread

This forum is for sharing your maps, and map making tips or ideas.

Re: Turgenev's Map Thread

Postby Turgenev » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:45 pm

Here's this week's Friday Freebie map. Click to enlarge.

Map Details:
* I've included various passages that lead off the map so the DM has room to expand.
* The dash lines are elevation markers.
* The row of dots are bars.
* Areas 1 a) and 30 have tapestries.
* Areas 1 a), 26, and 30 have statues.
* Area 9 has rubble.
* Areas 11, 23, and 40 have pillars. Area 40 has a lone pillar.
* Area 13 a) is the bridge and dry regions while area 13 b) is the underground river.
* Area 16 has a large boulder blocking access to area 17.
* Areas 18 and 20 have secret trap doors in the floors that lead to the lower elevation.
* Area 24 has a hidden pit trap.
* Area 28 has one-way secret doors.
* Area 40 has a small pool of water.

While this map can be used as a stand alone map, it can also be linked up with the last three weeks' Friday Freebie maps. The four maps together would look like this (click to enlarge):

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199 ... p-11252016

The Enhanced Version PDF that contains the November 25, 2016 Friday Freebie Map with multiple layers allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, and secret doors on or off (for ease with Virtual Tabletop programs). All for a $1 (US)!

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby seneschal » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:26 am

Using your much earlier ravine map as Level 1, I've been collecting the last four interlocking maps as Level 2. Thank you. The trouble is figuring out what to put in them! I've decided on a poultry theme (Coop on the Borderlands/City of Swans) for the dungeon and its denizens. Any suggestions?
seneschal

Postby Turgenev » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:53 pm

seneschal wrote:Using your much earlier ravine map as Level 1, I've been collecting the last four interlocking maps as Level 2. Thank you. The trouble is figuring out what to put in them! I've decided on a poultry theme (Coop on the Borderlands/City of Swans) for the dungeon and its denizens. Any suggestions?

Using a poultry theme is certainly an unique approach. As for suggestions (keeping with classic D&D module names), how about...

Descent into the Depths of the Coop/Shrine of the Cockatrice/Vault of the Duck
Hidden Shrine of the Couatl

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby seneschal » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:34 pm

So far I've got Rooster Men, Hen Maidens, voracious Bantaams, Duck warriors per Runequest, a Cockerelsaurus, and a winged chicken serpent as boss monster.
seneschal

Postby Turgenev » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:42 pm

How about draco-chickens (fire breathing (or any other breath weapon) chickens), giant two-headed geese (geese are aggressive as it is, but the two-head version even more so), rust turkeys (basically rust monsters but are turkey shaped), vampire (or stirge) pigeons, and peacocks that can petrify others who look at their colourful tail feathers.

Course you could also have undead fowl like animated chicken skeletons, zombie geese, ghoul partridges, etc.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:52 pm

Here's this week's Friday Freebie map. Click to enlarge.

Map Details:
* I've included various passages that lead off the map so the DM has room to expand.
* The dash lines are elevation markers.
* The row of dots are bars.
* Areas 1, 10, and 19 have pillars.
* Areas 4, 22 a), and 35 have open pits.
* Areas 6, 10, and 19 b) have water.
* Areas 7, 15, 26 a), and 31 have statues.
* Areas 13, 14, and 30 have tapestries.
* Area 15 is filled with acid (or some other hazardous material/conditions like green slime, a large infestation of intelligent gray ooze, bottomless pit masked by clouds, portal to another plane of existence, etc.) that has a handful of safe platforms.
* Areas 16 and 20 have secret trap doors in the floors.
* Area 20 is filled with webs.
* Areas 21 a) to d) are a series of traps. What type of traps is up to the DM but they could range from the mundane (shooting spears, shooting arrows, swinging blades, etc.) to the magical (fireballs, lightning bolts, polymorph, etc.).
* Area 22 b) is the secret tunnel that connects to the secret trap door that leads to area 20.
* Area 29 extends the full length under the corridor of area 9.
* Area 37 is the secret tunnel that connects to the secret trap door that leads to area 16.

While this map can be used as a stand alone map, it can also be linked up with the last four weeks' Friday Freebie maps. The five maps together would look like this (click to enlarge):

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199 ... p-12022016

The Enhanced Version PDF that contains the December 2, 2016 Friday Freebie Map with multiple layers allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, and secret doors on or off (for ease with Virtual Tabletop programs). All for a $1 (US)!

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby seneschal » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:36 am

Wow! That's getting to be one big twisty labyrinth. I think the "monsters" may actually be folks who wandered in and never found their way out. I wonder if the same fate awaits my players. :shock:

Thanks, and keep up the good work. :D
seneschal

Postby Turgenev » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:39 pm

seneschal wrote:Wow! That's getting to be one big twisty labyrinth. I think the "monsters" may actually be folks who wandered in and never found their way out. I wonder if the same fate awaits my players. :shock:

Each page also has several elevations which only adds to the twisty labyrinth factor. I consider how the maps fit together as a suggestion. Naturally the DM is free to use the maps in any way he or she sees fit. If the DM wants to use just one map and block off any corridors that lead off page, then that's kosher as well. ;)

seneschal wrote:Thanks, and keep up the good work. :D

Thanks seneschal. I plan on giving Undermountain a run for its money. At least for the time being. *grin* I'm sure there will be times where I will take a break from dungeons and do something else for the Friday Freebie maps.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby seneschal » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:45 am

Missile silos, subway stations, arctic outposts, Ape City (from the movies it is really the size of a small town), the vaults of the Underdwellers/Morlocks, Space Family Robinson's FTL recreational vehicle, a domed city beneath the sea per Irwin Allen, the Ark II, etc.
seneschal

Postby Turgenev » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:13 pm

seneschal wrote:Missile silos, subway stations, arctic outposts, Ape City (from the movies it is really the size of a small town), the vaults of the Underdwellers/Morlocks, Space Family Robinson's FTL recreational vehicle, a domed city beneath the sea per Irwin Allen, the Ark II, etc.

Alas, most of those suggestions (good ones that they are) would generally take too long to draw for a Friday Freebie. But that doesn't mean I won't visit them in the future though. ;)

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

PreviousNext

Return to Maps and Map Making