WotC Resurrects AD&D

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: WotC Resurrects AD&D

Postby elf23 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:32 pm

I do wonder about the North America only release... is Europe really that insignificant a market? It'd be interesting to see figures for sales of RPGs in NA vs EU...
elf23

Postby YHWH » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:22 pm

I'm super excited about this!

is Europe really that insignificant a market?

I think they're just trying to keep it small. Less to lose if there's no demand for them.

Homefully, they're testing the waters for another release AND they sell well!
YHWH

Postby elf23 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:18 am

YHWH wrote:I think they're just trying to keep it small. Less to lose if there's no demand for them.

Homefully, they're testing the waters for another release AND they sell well!

Yeah, let's hope so. The one thing I really wish for with all this is that they'll continue to re-publish old TSR books unmodified. I mean, who knows if they plan to re-publish any of it at all after the limited AD&D reprints, but with all the talk of "5e" / D&D Next / whatever, I have a nasty imagination of them releasing revamped versions of all the old stuff "now compatible with 5e!"... :?
elf23

Postby redwullf » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Just got on my FLGS pre-order list for these books. /gleefully rubbing hands together.
“The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” E. G. G.
redwullf

Postby Wizardawn » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Yup...I pre-ordered 2 copies of each today.
Wizardawn

Postby YHWH » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:12 am

Dan the man made a good point, I thought it was this thread but it turns out it was over at grognardia.

Dan of Earth wrote:I'd be tempted to play if this wasn't a limited edition print run, but since it is, they'll end up in plastic protector sleeves like the rest of my 1e collection. I'll continue to use and abuse my copies of Labyrinth Lord + Advanced Edition Companion.

I'm not afraid to abuse and write in my LL books, but I wouldn't dream of being as rough with 1e books unless they were more permanently in print. This limited collector's stuff is for the birds.

elf23 wrote:I have a nasty imagination of them releasing revamped versions of all the old stuff "now compatible with 5e!"...

I'd be really surprised if they did. They've put out new versions of a lot of the old modules already and it's more work to screw around with it than leave it alone and reprint.
YHWH

Postby oldgamergeek » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Since at least some of the money will help the Gary Gygax memorial I will have to buy these.
"Our community is like a Heavy Metal concert, full of life and passion. Theirs is like a therapy session needing someone to tell them what to do and how to be happy."
oldgamergeek

Previous

Return to Open Discussion