Questions

For discussion of the fantasy RPG WIZARDS' WORLD.

Questions

Postby Skathros » Sat May 19, 2012 12:09 pm

Okay, i'm not at home right now so I don't have my book with me, but I do have 1 question (with more to follow when I get home). How are intervals calculated when no intervals are given for a class (i.e. the thief)?
WIZARDS' LORE: A Wizards' World fan site & home to Dungeon Delving Games.
OSRWTF: A more critical look at the movement from a disenchanted fan.
Skathros

Re: Questions

Postby boddynock » Sat May 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Same thing with the wizard, though the wizard got an example (the first point is gained at 1500, then another at 3000.) I'd welcome a correct, but for thieves with that same equal interval for percentage point, I did set it for every 500 experience (500 for one, then 1500 for first level and so on.)
Boddynock Stotch - Ambassador of Gnomes
boddynock

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sat May 19, 2012 4:01 pm

Maybe we should come up with a list of questions and I can forward it to David Silvera? There are a couple of rules I'm unclear on as well. In this regard my assumption is if the class is not listed as having fighting ability (pg. 12), the character never improves beyond the base 25% attack skill. So this includes wizards, thieves (who don't backstab in this game, that is only assassins), spies, and jesters. So they won't have intervals for combat skill bonuses.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sat May 19, 2012 4:03 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:Maybe we should come up with a list of questions and I can forward it to David Silvera? There are a couple of rules I'm unclear on as well. In this regard my assumption is if the class is not listed as having fighting ability (pg. 12), the character never improves beyond the base 25% attack skill. So this includes wizards, thieves (who don't backstab in this game, that is only assassins), spies, and jesters. So they won't have intervals for combat skill bonuses.

I'll add that I have mixed feeling about this, but on the other hand the rules for multiclassing are pretty interesting. You can go back and forth between classes each level, which to me gives it a more fantasy literature feeling. Even though there are classes, characters are not really confined by them. If you start with a wimpy wizard, have him spend a few levels as a fighter to beef up, then back to studying spells.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby boddynock » Sat May 19, 2012 4:29 pm

The intervals listed in the experience table is another thing that kind of bugs me. Spies and Jesters have an interval table next to their name but they are listed at not having combat skill. However no mention is made of why they have their intervals as all of their stuff seems to be level based. I'd personally just give them a 1% to their attacks at their listed interval. I'd say it sort of works out. It requires higher stats to be a Jester or a Spy and takes longer to level compared to the warrior classes.
boddynock

Postby bat » Sat May 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:Maybe we should come up with a list of questions and I can forward it to David Silvera? There are a couple of rules I'm unclear on as well. In this regard my assumption is if the class is not listed as having fighting ability (pg. 12), the character never improves beyond the base 25% attack skill. So this includes wizards, thieves (who don't backstab in this game, that is only assassins), spies, and jesters. So they won't have intervals for combat skill bonuses.

Gathering questions to ask is probably the best bet. Intervals are a little tricky it seems, but the Warrior also has a good example in its section. I plan on using the Warrior example for fighting types and the wizard for non-combat classes until it is sorted out.

Actually, I think you are right about combat and non-combat based classes and intervals, but yes, further clarification would be handy.
bat

Postby boddynock » Sun May 20, 2012 9:28 pm

By the way, I'm Boddynock. New poster, have enjoyed reading Wizards World.

I've been taking a look at the Profession area of Wizards World, and while I'm glad to hear from David Silvera if he'll answer more errata questions. I have a few fixes that I'd like to offer. I think they should work with minimum problem.

1 - Ignore the interval bracket for Jester and Spy: The bracket, the interval, suggests that's when a character gets a 1% boost to their fighting skill as per the ability of the warrior. I'd assume the intervals column applies to any class that lists a fighting skill (Warriors and their sub-classes, the knights, the scout, and the Destroyer.) The assassin also is suppose to have a fighting skill, but he runs off the thief table which never had an interval spot. So we'll look at the assassin in a moment.
The spy and jester profession are technically not suppose to have a fighting skill. Any GM is welcome to change that, though with the interval of the spy at 60, I'd up that a little more because the warrior should be the one that gets weapon skill boosts the quickest. For now, I just ignore them for those classes.

2 - As mentioned previous the assassin is suppose to have a fighting skill, but he runs his experience off with the thief table. I'd probably run the assassin off the thief table as suggested, but give that class the 120 interval of the Destroyer. It's a little bit quicker in the gain, but the assassin trade off is he's weaker than the fighting types. He get's his best boosts when he backs attack, at other times he's a weakened fighter, but at least now he does gain some combat skill to his weapon.

3 - Dump the 'every even interval' of the wizard, thief etc. It's a little confusing when we read that a Wizard gains 2 spell points at first level, but then it's really 1 point for every even interval (it puts an example at 1500 give him a spell point, then 3000.) I'd dump that, just at the beginning of the level give him 2 spell points and be done with it. He already gets up to 15 (depending on intelligence rolled) in spell points. Same thing with thief, he is to get fifty skill points to put in his thieving abilities, but technically at even intervals. I'd skip the intervals and just every level the thief gets 50 skill points to dole out, using the restrictions listed.

I think that's it. A lot of the stuff in Wizards World, I think, works fine and is quite enjoyable. The profession area was probably one of the grey areas that might require a look at with errata or tinkering, but that's what the old school business is all about. I hope these help or set the right track. And hey! Demon Halflings, what's not to love? : D
boddynock

Postby bat » Mon May 21, 2012 12:29 am

Hey there, Boddynock! There can never be too many gnome enthusiasts here.

I like your modifications and think that they would work too. I would like a further peek into the mechanic of intervals, but yes, other than a few gray areas here the game is pretty solid. I am trying to work up a few extra classes, monsters and NPC classes to see how they will work. Trying some in a game this evening.
bat

Return to WIZARDS' WORLD