Why does LL hate Dwarves??

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Why does LL hate Dwarves??

Postby Black Wyvern » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:50 am

Blood axe wrote:
pawsplay wrote:In the Red Box, it says they can use all small and normal sized weapons, and it calls out Two-Handed Swords and Longbows (only) as being off-limit. No word on Polearms or Spears. I don't even know what a weapon of small or normal size is supposed to be.

Go back & recheck. :D It says two-handed WEAPONS, not two- handed swords. :cry:

I think he is on our side here Bloodaxe. He is pointing out Moldvay says dwarves can't use long bows or two handed swords. LL says no two handed weapons. Moldvay allowed the battle axe, although as a two handed weapon, for dwarven to use, while LL doesn't.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:22 am

I think I am going to replace that "weapons" with "swords." That solves the problem for dwarves.
For halflings and gnomes, I would prohibit all two handed weapons, with the exception of the short bow and light crossbow.
rabindranath72

Postby Blood axe » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Oh, Im sorry. He said the RED BOOK- I thought he meant LL book.

Yes, the LL book says "no two-handed weapons" the Red book says "no two-handed swords or Longbows".

My apologies. :oops:
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Blood axe » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:38 pm

The old original Red book.
[url]Image[/url]
Blood axe

Postby Blood axe » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:39 pm

The LL book.

[url]Image[/url]
Blood axe

Postby mystaros » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:34 pm

In my house rules dwarves cannot effectively use two-handed melee weapons made for use by men and elves; the balance is all off. They can use them, but at a -2 to hit and will a loss to damage of one die type lower. Similarly, humans and elves cannot effectively use two-handed weapons balanced for use by dwarves, gnomes, or halflings, save with the same penalties.

Dwarves cannot use long bows designed for use by men and elves at all; they are simply too short. Besides, no self-respecting dwarf would be caught dead using a long bow! Crossbows are much better in the normal dwarf environment (i.e., underground), where they provide the same damaging power without need for tall arcs of flight.

One handed melee weapons and short bows, no problems.
mystaros

Postby Black Wyvern » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:02 am

What Blood Axe? No copy of B12 and LL 15 to show the disparity on the warhammer being turned into a two handed weapon?

I leave the ban on two handed weapons but the battle axe and war hammer are one handed. I added a two handed great axe.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Blood axe » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:43 pm

Black Wyvern wrote:What Blood Axe? No copy of B12 and LL 15 to show the disparity on the warhammer being turned into a two handed weapon?

I leave the ban on two handed weapons but the battle axe and war hammer are one handed. I added a two handed great axe.

:D Im working on it!
Blood axe

Postby rabindranath72 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:56 pm

I was having a look at the AD&D equipment lists, and two similarities in price between the hammers in LL and those in AD&D emerged, which may shed light on the "two-handed" thing, namely:
1) The LL "hammer, war" is really a Lucern hammer, which is a pole arm and thus it makes sense that it's two-handed.
2) The LL "hammer" is the B/X warhammer.

Obviously the dwarf is screwed anyway unless you change "two-handed weapons" with "two-handed sword" (which I did.)

But then, in the equipment section there is another "hammer" which has the same stats as the "hammer" in the weapons section, but it costs half. :?
rabindranath72

Postby Bishop » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:22 am

I'm a little bit late on that topic, but I just want to know if you allow dwarf to use axe hand with one hand or if he has to use it with two hands (little bit like in D&D3). Same question for long sword. I was thinking to allow the use of 1d6 (or less) weapons with one hand, and 1d8 (or more) weapons with two hands, but i would like to know how people deals with it !

Bishop
Bishop

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord