Lovecraft Future

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Lovecraft Future

Postby bmonroe » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:08 am

So, I've got the freebie PDF of MF, and am thinking about picking up the hardcover and some supplements to start up a game based on an idea I've had for a HPL Mythos-inspired apocalypse.

The essential ideas are that the stars go right. The old ones rise, and the world burns. Generations later, after the "God War" humanity is crawling out of the caves, and repopulating the earth. Most of the Old Ones have fled back to be resorbed into Azathoth, but remnants remain. Protoshoggoth DNA hidden in certain lineages have resulted in bizarre mutations.

I'm curious, aside from the core book, and the "Realms of Crawling Chaos" book, is there anything else I should think about picking up? Hardcopies are preferred, and anything available through Lulu, DriveThruRPG, or whatever is fine. Links would be great if you've got 'em.

Thanks!
bmonroe

Re: Lovecraft Future

Postby JDJarvis » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:29 am

Sounds like you've got the bases covered myself, there's a lot fof ground yuo can cover with those two books. There is Carcosa from LOFTP that is a weird-world rpg setting with dinosaurs, energy weapons and lovecraftian horrors that might prove interesting but it's not MF or LL in roots.
JDJarvis

Postby gentleman john » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:27 pm

The only thing with Carcosa that might cause problems is the fact it uses an ascending AC system rather than LL's descending AC system. However, the book does tell you how to get round that.

Apart from that, you're good to go with what you have.
gentleman john

Postby baran_i_kanu » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Sounds like a helluva good idea for fun.

The ascending AC is cake. We stitched out LL game to that. The guys just couldn't deal with Thaco after so long. :O
Dave B.
http://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com/
baran_i_kanu

Postby Atomic Ray » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Lovecraftian reason for the end of days and the start of nights is always welcome in my house :)

I usually like to apply real world science and an oops to start the process...or maybe it wasn't a mistake?

Supercollider accident, opens a gateway and it stays open for some arcane number of days/nights...all number of untold horrors spill forth...in the end the big bad guys leave again but the squirmies and tentacle types get left behind like the organic garbage they are.

The area around ground zero would be a blast zone, looking like the moon, then barren desert, then scrub, then a bit of green, and so forth...completely ruining an area, hmm the size of Australia...with another double that size zone of barren.

Figure your global affects and it should be fun :)

Will there be room for arcane/mystical types for characters? Those touched by the extra-dimensional beings.

I usually use beastmen as my main left behind changed types...men and animal aspects blended together at the whim of the Old Ones because it made them chuckle, then discarded...these beastmen are my "orcs", roaming reaving mobs. And available as a character type but comes with much stigma.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby finarvyn » Sun May 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Sounds like some good ideas you have there. I find that most of the old school style games blend together pretty well, whether you are talking about LL or MF or OD&D or C&C or so many others.

Little details like ascending AC are just speed bumps and are so easy to work through with just a handy table paper clipped to your GM screen... so minor I wouldn't stress over it at all.
Marv / Finarvyn
Knight of Dangerous Quests, Labyrinth Lord Society, 2009
Author of the S&W White Box 2009
Old LL board member #007 (back in 2007)
Earl of Stone Creek / C&C Society Member since 2003
OD&D player since 1975
finarvyn

Postby baran_i_kanu » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:46 am

Realms of Crawling Chaos is incredible, definitely hope you got that.
Some of us have alternate or differing material as well which could also be ported to MF.
http://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com/searc ... t%20Mythos
http://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com/2012/ ... games.html
Dave B.
http://theosrlibrary.blogspot.com/
baran_i_kanu

Return to Mutant Future