Labyrinth Lord at Virtual Play

This area is for people to discuss and/or advertise their blogs. Material for sale should be advertised in the Advertisements forum.

Labyrinth Lord at Virtual Play

Postby Mel White » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Hi--I've posted a discussion of a recent Labyrinth Lord game at my podcast, Virtual Play The podcast includes samples of actual play from the game! For anyone interested, it is located here: http://virtualplay.podbus.com/?p=82
The episode was really a tribute to my character--killed in action in a reprise of the old D&D adventure, Treasure Hunt.
Mel White

Re: Labyrinth Lord at Virtual Play

Postby jcftao » Sun May 20, 2012 12:58 am

Mel,

When I switch sides of the dm screen and become a player, I've hated being led around by the nose. If the dm paints a big sign "This Way..." it makes me wonder what's in the other direction.

I think that even in the best of sand box games, it is hard for the PC to make a good choice because there is still much information missing.

I can guarantee that I've done the same, railroading my players like cattle down a chute, but in a perfect game world, it would be nice for the PCs to gather all info possible, make a decision, and away they go.

Do you think that players are often more used to the railroad method? Video games have ingrained that into most players.

I agree to you about GM fiat. Your comment about moving from set piece to set piece instead of GM fiat, makes a strong point. Then the result would be, more railroading, less roleplaying, more of a board game. Not really what I'd like to see in my game. Some of the best, most memorable parts of play are not in combat, but in the time between and the interaction of the PCs.

Thanks for the podcast, it sounds like you had fun!
jcftao

Re: Labyrinth Lord at Virtual Play

Postby Mel White » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:06 am

Jeez! I missed your reply! But I have the same attitude--if told to go left, I want to go right! Certainly, the prepared scenario is helpful to a GM because the GM can then 'be prepared'. So I think most players recognize that reality and will go along with whatever the GM has 'planned'. There has got to be a middle ground, though, where the GM has tools that can help him improvise but still leave room for player exploration of the setting. Interaction between the PCs, which is one of the best parts of the game, may be so much fun simply because there is no pre-set plot! The trick is to figure out how to get PC-NPC or PC-setting interaction to be just as open. I don't have a lot of answers...I think games like Apocalypse World and its offshoots, which allow for PC partial successes, or In A Wicked Age, which generates situation via oracles, help provide tools for the GM to improvise. But I don't think it's system dependent...it may be just a mindset.
Mel White

Return to Bloggers