Testing the waters... 16 questions for a new game :D

Post your online or in person gamer meetups here! Post here if seeking to start a game.

Testing the waters... 16 questions for a new game :D

Postby connivingsumo » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:23 am

**Answer even if you have no desire what-so-ever to play!!**

OK... I've been on this forum a long, long time. My 1,682 posts are only AFTER the forums switched to here - I was a previous member so - in essence - my posts are much higher for whatever that is worth (being familiar?).

This "survey" is a TON of questions relating to your preferences in game play; there are NO right or wrong answers!! Please feel free to answer honestly. :D

Anyway - to the important stuff - I have only ran one game (on this forum) - for my cousin & my friend (2 players); it was named "Thief Gate." It was a mix of my own creation & some 'dungeon/module' stuff to journey "evil" characters along some levels. You can look at it if you like, but a lot of cool material was lost when we transitioned to this new board/forum.
========================================================================================================

I am testing the waters for some potential players, so here are some questions for you...

** RULES FOR POSTING: NO WRONG ANSWERS!!**

1) Good or Evil Characters? I've been "DM'ing" since 1984 so I have experience in both.
2) Do you want to start at level 1 (or even level ZERO?) and build up your character, or do you want to start at a higher level?
3) If you want to start "higher level" - what level would you like to start? (this is an open forum - post your desires)
4) Do you prefer to play a 'series' of modules like the Slavers A1-A4? Or would you prefer to play a more 'random' order of modules that takes your character from level 1 (or zero) to a higher level?
5) In that context, would you prefer a "sandbox" approach, or stick to modules?
6) What is your preferred 'frequency' of posting? Once a day, every other day, twice a week, once a week, etc.?
7) How important are maps?
8) How important are photos or pictures to the story?
9) How important is it to stick to the LL/AEC rules?
10) What is your opinion of "house rules"?
11) Do you prefer a DM that "progresses" characters, or tries to "counter" (aka - KILL) them? Perhaps you desire "challenge" or something in-between?
12) How important is NPC development in the context of "role playing"?
13) How important is 'Role Playing' YOUR character as opposed to simply reporting what your character does/says? *see rules for posting!
14) How important is LEVEL progression, or is it more about character development and story progression?
15) How important is treasure and magic items? Or is it more about character development? (remember - no RIGHT/WRONG answers)!
16) Do you prefer 'existing' campaign settings (like Dragonlance or Grey Hawk), or do you prefer 'created' settings?

~~ MY idea is to "create" a campaign where I can string together some classic D&D/AD&D modules together. So you could start at level one (or zero), or five, or ???, and I could string some modules together to form a campaign. ~~

These questions are for ANYONE, but I'm particularly interested in responses from folks that would or may participate in my game. (Steven & Brandon - I hope to see you post here!! ...Kipper - you too! :P ..and maybe even Chad?? :o :shock: :D )
Last edited by connivingsumo on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:36 am, edited 7 times in total.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Re: Testing the waters... 16 questions for a new game :D

Postby connivingsumo » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:28 am

Hell... you could even answer some questions I DIDN'T ASK!?!?

Did I miss something??? Then answer it! 8-)
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby tumblingdice » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:11 pm

1) Good or Evil Characters? I've been "DM'ing" since 1984 so I have experience in both.
I'd prefer good. Evil is interesting, but I get my evil fix by being a DM. :D

2) Do you want to start at level 1 (or even level ZERO?) and build up your character, or do you want to start at a higher level?
It depends on what you envision for your campaign, and your first adventure. For example, when I wanted to start B10, I saw that it was developed for character levels 2-4 (5,000 XP). Because most of my players, if not their characters, had gone through my previous adventure at 2nd level, and because Blood axe had recently run Keep on the Borderlands, it was a safe bet that most of the interested players on this forum had gotten their fix of beginning level play. So, I had no qualms about starting a campaign with a slight level bump.

3) If you want to start "higher level" - what level would you like to start? (this is an open forum - post your desires)
I'd be interested in mid-level play (5-8).

4) Do you prefer to play a 'series' of modules like the Slavers A1-A4? Or would you prefer to play a more 'random' order of modules that takes your character from level 1 (or zero) to a higher level?
It doesn't matter, as long as the DM has given his campaign some thought, and is excited about the adventure he's offering.

I have no experience with a sandbox approach, but as long as the DM is prepared, then it doesn't matter to me.

6) What is your preferred 'frequency' of posting? Once a day, every other day, twice a week, once a week, etc.?
Every 2-3 days is realistic.

I love maps! They're great for getting an overview and feel for a place. I use maps for most combat rounds, which can get time-consuming. Blood axe ran successful combats without them, though, so if a map every round would discourage a DM, I'd gladly do without them.

Good question. In my first adventure on these forums, I spent hours scouring Google Images for just the right photo. It can present a cool effect, but I gave up on it for my current adventure. For one, you can't always find just the right picture. Is the wrong picture better than no picture at all? Not always. Plus, I knew I really had no business posting photos I didn't have rights to. That said, if the module I'm running has an accompanying illustration, I'll use it.

Information on how you plan to deviate from them would help me answer this question better. :D

They exist for a reason. Max hit points at first level, additional MU spells based on intelligence, and allowing dwarves to use battle-axes all make the game more enjoyable. Again, it depends on what you have in mind.

11) Do you prefer a DM that "progresses" characters, or tries to "counter" (aka - KILL) them? Perhaps you desire "challenge" or something in-between?
I prefer a DM that has presented a great story, and wants to see his characters successfully reach its end, provided they use their heads.

13) How important is 'Role Playing' YOUR character as opposed to simply reporting what your character does/says? *see rules for posting!
Answer for 12&13 is the same. Role-playing a character is fun, as is watching the DM role-play NPCs, as long as the characters don't go on at too great a length. I'm also not much for pseudo-medieval speech, though the people in my campaign are great sports for listening to Traladaran characters who talk like Borat!

14) How important is LEVEL progression, or is it more about character development and story progression?
Character development and story progression. I must say, though, that because adventures take so long via pbp, it would be cool to advance a level upon completion of an adventure.

15) How important is treasure and magic items? Or is it more about character development? (remember - no RIGHT/WRONG answers)!
I'm interested more in character development, but appreciate a little treasure as a reward, and to help out in the next adventure.

16) Do you prefer 'existing' campaign settings (like Dragonlance or Grey Hawk), or do you prefer 'created' settings?
I'm open to either.

I look forward to hearing about your upcoming campaign, Mr. Sumo...
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby greyarea » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:25 pm

I think half of your posts were in games that I've participated in... :)

On to the questions:

Prefer Good although I've played Chaotic characters, although few outright evil characters.

No preference. Have played starting at many levels and enjoyed them immensely.

5-8. Powerful but not overpowered

Again no preference. If the DM can make it work from module to module, I'm good with it.

Sandboxes seem difficult in PbP, it seems. I like story and view roleplaying as collaborative storymaking, so I tend to prefer modules.

Daily to every other day.

Very. I like seeing where we are. And I like battlemap-type maps, although I appreciate that they can be tough to create. Tumblingdice does an excellent job and should be the standard, IMHO.

Not as important as maps although helpful. It's nice when you can get pictures from modules to help with description. Too many pictures can be, well, too many. I think the DM can use a picture or two to enhance a posting but that's it. (And I've enjoyed adventures with no pix, like Bloodaxe's so don't feel the need to include them.)

Fairly. House rules are awesome but if you aren't trying to stick to a game system, then why choose one?

Big fan. :) It's up there with DM interpretation of the rules. House rules aren't necessary but can add spice for sure. It helps to communicate to the players what the house rules are, though, and if they change.

As I mentioned, I view this as collaborative storytelling. So I don't want a DM that tries either. If a character dies, too bad. And some modules are deathtraps and that's fine too. I don't like it when the DM helps poor PC play, by giving hints that are unnecessary or changing dice outcomes for them. But I really don't like it when the DM's attitude is "it's me versus the players" because that's not fun.

Only as important as to tell a good story.

I enjoy role playing my characters. Trying to give them distinct personality is fun.

The latter.

Treasure and magic items ROCK. I like being rewarded.

No opinion. I've DMed and played in both. Seems to have little effect on the game and I don't really pay that much attention to the background as a PC unless it directly affects the PC so it doesn't really matter to me.
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:37 pm

Alright, you asked for it!
My 2 cents:

1) Good or Evil Characters? I've been "DM'ing" since 1984 so I have experience in both. I prefer good, evil is difficult to role play (for me) and still have a harmonious group...
2) Do you want to start at level 1 (or even level ZERO?) and build up your character, or do you want to start at a higher level? I like level one, and the chance to form their character from the ground floor. That's just me though
3) If you want to start "higher level" - what level would you like to start? (this is an open forum - post your desires) NA
4) Do you prefer to play a 'series' of modules like the Slavers A1-A4? Or would you prefer to play a more 'random' order of modules that takes your character from level 1 (or zero) to a higher level? No preference. I like the old series modules, or a bunch of cool stuff strung together
5) In that context, would you prefer a "sandbox" approach, or stick to modules? Again, either one. Some modules even have a limited sandbox quality to them
6) What is your preferred 'frequency' of posting? Once a day, every other day, twice a week, once a week, etc.? I like once per day, or every couple of days. Games I've been in that have longer periods for posting have all died from what I think was lack of ongoing action.
7) How important are maps? Not too important. It can be a pain to get them posted. Nice if they are easy to come by, but I can live without em.
8) How important are photos or pictures to the story? Again, nice to have, but a colorful narrative works just as well for me. Bonus points to the GMs who use em.
9) How important is it to stick to the LL/AEC rules?Pretty important to me, but that's just personal.
10) What is your opinion of "house rules"? I have always played with minor houserules, but have been yearning to play a totally or mostly bone-stock campaign with predominately straight rules.
11) Do you prefer a DM that "progresses" characters, or tries to "counter" (aka - KILL) them? Perhaps you desire "challenge" or something in-between? I lean toward the "Progresses" option, but I don't expect the DM to bail me out when I make bad decisions or the dice just don't work for me.
12) How important is NPC development in the context of "role playing"? Depends on who they are. It's cool to have a few big npcs, but its also tough to keep track of them. NPCs can make things interesting, especially colorful recurring ones.
13) How important is 'Role Playing' YOUR character as opposed to simply reporting what your character does/says? *see rules for posting! Pretty important, I guess. Or a balance of it, anyway.
14) How important is LEVEL progression, or is it more about character development and story progression? Kind of important. I don't want to be raised in level too quickly, but if it takes too long, I've seen some campaigns get a bit boring. It depends. Not really too critical to me, I just like to play...
15) How important is treasure and magic items? Or is it more about character development? (remember - no RIGHT/WRONG answers)! I'm more about character development, but an item here or there is okay. I guess I don't care too much about magic.
16) Do you prefer 'existing' campaign settings (like Dragonlance or Grey Hawk), or do you prefer 'created' settings? Hmmm... I like vanilla campaign worlds. Basic types of worlds like Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Mystara. Or homebaked settings that are of the same look/feel. I played in Dragonlance in high school, and it was okay, but the nuances (no clerics, draconians, odd class restrictions and post-cataclysm setting was kind of a pain (to me anyway.) I generally like a plain jane world and it doesn't have to be too big. No worlds ruled by evil intelligent lemurs who enslave humanity, or anything like that...

What I really wanted to do initially when I did my PbP setup was to do a Basic LL game of classic modules (no series, just some modules like B1, B2, etc. and string a campaign world together, but it was just too much work for me at the time. I'd love to do an old-school classic module blitz, and the thought of no major houserules is intriguing, but it's tough to use ALL rules as-is

That's my 2 cents. For what it's worth. Of course if you do a campaign, I'll be obligated to join. Unless you all band together and vote me out of the tribe.

~~ MY idea is to "create" a campaign where I can string together some classic D&D/AD&D modules together. So you could start at level one (or zero), or five, or ???, and I could string some modules together to form a campaign. ~~

These questions are for ANYONE, but I'm particularly interested in responses from folks that would or may participate in my game. (Steven & Brandon - I hope to see you post here!! ...Kipper - you too! ..and maybe even Chad?? )
badams30

Postby kipper » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:02 pm

1) I prefer Good, never played a truly Evil character actually (for my D&D I play OD&D and BX/LL exclusively, so I'm translating from "Lawful" and "Chaotic"). I would imagine among evil characters there would be a lot more infighting and characters working at cross-purposes? Not really my type of thing. Having said that however, I once played a Lawful Cleric of a rather humourless and ascetic deity who adventured with some shiftless mercenaries, including a couple of goblins, which was a lot of fun.

2) I think PbP being such a slow way to game that starting characters at higher levels is necessary if you want them to face higher challenges. I'm not opposed to starting at level 1 if that's the kind of game the LL wants to run (although I have done a lot of level 1 play, so higher-level games are more different/interesting). What I really dislike though is starting "all characters at level 3" or whatever, that just gets under my skin for some reason, I much prefer to give all characters the same amount of XP to start when going that route.

3) I'm not too fussed really, it really depends on what challenges the LL wants the players to face! If I had to pick one level that I'd like to play, I'd say maybe around level 9, I haven't had much experience with higher-level play. But working up to this point would be fine, although starting at level 1 and doing PbP it would probably take over 10 years real-time!!

4) Again, not too fussed. Whatever the LL wants to run. I don't have a lot of experience with modules, so most would be new to me.

5) Either/or. You could do both in a way, by sticking modules in a sandbox environment, let the players choose which one they want to try next. That's sort of what I did with my PbP on the old boards, although it was all home-brewed, so I made a lot of it up (90%) as I went along. Sandbox is probably more appropriate for home-brew because it's very flexible. But on the other hand, I wouldn't mind if the LL simply said "OK, now we're going to start Module "X".

6) I like once per day. PbP is already slow enough as it is. But this can be hard on the LL, because it requires a lot more effort on his part than it does for the players. I would not mind if it was slower, but at least once every 2 days on average is fairly important to keep the game moving.

7) Depending on the LL's style. I've played in both types of games. Overall I think they are important to help PCs visualise the situation in combats, they can be pretty basic though. A lot of work for the LL to update battle maps every round though!

8) The odd picture now and then helps a lot; one for every post could be overwhelming and it would loose it's effect.

9) I don't play AEC. I'm already in many games with many different game systems at the moment that I have to draw the line somewhere to keep myself sane, and I draw the line at AEC. Not sure if this is what you were asking, but "there are no wrong answers" :D

10) House rules are fine, so long as they are fairly minor, not an entire re-vamping of the game system. I prefer house rules which simplify the game, rather than add complications. However, in PbP since the LL is running the games most of the rules are "behind the scenes" for the players, so honestly I wouldn't really notice the difference much in play. For example, if the LL adds hideously complex armour-piercing, hit-location, and critical-hit tables, I would not notice as a player providing the LL is doing all the rolls behind the scenes and simply tells me the results.

11) I used to think I preferred having characters not die, but I've been in a long-running OD&D game now which is fairly lethal (Im on my 4th character now, who has progressed in levels and is now less fragile), which has been a lot of fun. I don't mind the game being deadly so long as the LL is fair.

12) NPCs are important, but only as something for the PCs to interact with. The PCs are the stars of the show.

13) As a player, my characters have only minor 'role playing', I prefer action. A little bit of RP can be fun to break things up, but I like mostly actions.

14) As a player, I like accomplishing missions, gaining loot, vanquishing foes. Story development and progression should simply be background.

15) To me, treasure and magic items are more important than character development.

16) I prefer settings that are light on background/NPCs/history. I don't actively dislike created settings, but I worry more about all the baggage (history, NPCs, factions, deities, etc...) that comes along them.
kipper

Postby The Lizard of Oz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Good unless everyone can agree that being Evil doesn't have to mean being a dick.

Level 1

or at most level 2

Random

Sandbox

If I PbP, once a day

7 out of 10

4 out of 10

6-7 out of 10

As a player, it's the DM's world and I want to play in his imagination so HOUSERULES AHOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Challenge. Pat me on the head when I do good and slap it when I flunk up.

5-6 out of 10 (depending on NPC importance to the campaign.

6 out of 10

7 out of 10 with a heavy does from cd and sp

6 out of 10

Created
No man is more dangerous than one convinced of his own moral superiority.
The Lizard of Oz

Postby connivingsumo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:40 am

Wow, I'm overwhelmed (in a good way) at having 5 in-depth responses already! :o

Allow me to clarify a couple of questions; forgive me, I had consumed a few adult beverages as I was writing the post and didn't articulate some questions very well! :oops:

Question #1
The Lizard of Oz nailed it... and I had a laugh out loud moment! :lol: :lol:
An "evil" setting would be (just throwing a random example out there) something like a crime syndicate (or "church/monestary") where "members" are FAMILY and you never, ever, EVER double-cross your family! As a DM, I have no problem with private messages/PMs when players want to be secretive, but having infighting is something I am NOT interested in! Not in any shape or form - for sure.

Question #9
I think badams30 was on my train of thought here. They way I should have asked the question is: Are you a strict rule follower when it comes to LL/AEC, or can there be tweaks, such as a Bard Class, some of the Monk skills/rules being changed, Cantrips, etc. I should have just combined this question with Question #10 regarding House Rules - in retrospect.

Thanks for the responses!! :mrgreen:

connivingsumo

Postby Spanningtree » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:55 am

Interesting...

Never played evil, might be interesting. Good or neutral would be my norm.

Level 1 works. Characters that start at a high level have little to no development IMHO.

See above.

I prefer worlds where the characters are free to do whatever. Yendo is doing that right now. Modules are fun too.

Sandbox

Every 1-2 days but everyday is my preferred.

I find that they add a lot to any campaign.

They are nice but not as important as maps.

Not that important.

That would depend on what they were.

I prefer a GM that challenges the characters. If they are actively trying to kill the characters they should let everyone know so that character development can be toned down.

That would be context dependent but if appropriate it's fine.

I think some role playing is important but it can go overboard.

It's more about development but level progression is part of that.

Same answer as question 14.

Either one is fine. Going with established worlds does remove a lot of the creation labor from the GM. You can still tweak it enough to make it yours.

I hope these answers are useful. I would be interesting to see the world you are thinking about come to life!

Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby connivingsumo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:35 am

Based on responses - and my experience from running Thief Gate (my first pbp) - MAPS ARE A MUST!! At this point, I am trying to figure out how to "scan" the module maps, and then edit them so you don't see things like 'T' for trap, or 'S' for Secret Door, etc. The maps I've created are a breeze to scan in - but I'm a tad perplexed by the module ones! :oops: :cry:

If any of you have some useful tips on that - I'm all ears!!

As far as my "world" - I'm thinking of a very generic world - some nuances included - and then plopping modules down into the world. So if players elected to go "this way" - it would end up being module ________ , but if they choose "that way" it would end up being module series _________ . Etc.

My initial gut response is to say House Rules would be 'easy' but - then again - it would depend on the players requests/questions. In short, I have an idea of what the House Rules would be, but I am open minded and could adapt something to a reasonable/logical argument, such as "Dwarves can't use two-handed axes, why?!" (this is already one of my 'house rules' - but to use an example). That question is a pretty strong 'logical' question - and I would be hard pressed to argue against it aside from the "their too damn short!" argument, which is weak IMHO.

connivingsumo

Next

Return to Gamer Gatherings