Are you a fan of the old HeroQuest board game?

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Are you a fan of the old HeroQuest board game?

Postby odinist » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:40 pm

So for scheißt und kichert I've decided to convert the quests from the HeroQuest game to Labyrinth Lord to kick off my groups newly started campaign. I obviously can't post this on my RPGNow account, but can totally give it away for free here. :D

I'm actually starting off the group with the first level of Dyson's Delve, but will have the passage that leads further down collapse in a cave in, blocking any further descent. As such, the beginning text references this. If you decide to use it, feel free to leave that bit out and just start with the party receiving their letters from Mentor.

Here's the first quest, "The Trial." If you guys dig it, I'll post the rest as they get converted. Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwIA8JZE2pUpSHQtWGVCb3JyVUE/edit?usp=sharing
odinist

Re: Are you a fan of the old HeroQuest board game?

Postby Dyson Logos » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:25 pm

Nice!

One of the things I love about HeroQuest is if you look at the level design, you can "unfold" the maps and make them LOOK very different while still being the same. It makes stealing the adventures (like this) nice because you can hide the map source by that method. A few of the levels don't work this way (because they have circular and multi-path routings), but it works for the majority of them.

I used to add a lot of stairs to my custom HeroQuest adventures to reinforce this feeling that the dungeons were all different.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby odinist » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:01 am

Dyson Logos wrote:Nice!

It was too fun dude. You should have seen my group when they were in the tombs of St. Ulther... they were so paranoid about the sarcophaguses being trapped in the most devious of ways, haha. After we finished the HQ quests, I want to revisit the Delve for sure!
odinist

Postby bighara » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:55 am

Does painting up a slew of HQ orc and goblin minis count? :)
bighara

Postby odinist » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:17 am

The second quest, "The Rescue of Sir Ragnar":

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwIA8JZ ... sp=sharing
odinist

Postby Dyson Logos » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:49 am

I like this one so much I'm going to mod it and throw it into the sandbox between where the party is and the tree city they are travelling towards for this Sunday's game.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby odinist » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:04 pm

I've added/changed a bit to the first couple of modules. The links should bring up the most current version from my Google Drive. I threw the players a bone via a cursed short sword -1. Sucks to get a cursed sword, but at least they can damage the mummy and gargoyle with it. :twisted:

Here's the third quest, "The Lair of the Orc Warlord."

Also! :D

Since HeroQuest uses a deck of treasure cards to randomly generate treasure (and dangers!) when players would search for treasure in a room. I've converted the HQ items into a Labyrinth Lord doppelganger. None of them are game breaking.

Currently it's done as a d12 table, and I didn't note a restriction for how many times certain items can be found. However, I'm considering redoing the table to d100, taking into account how many of each card was actually in the original deck, and adding the stipulation that certain items can only be found once per dungeon. This would emulate how the original game would have played.

Next game session I'm going to try it as the d12 and with multiple items possible. I'll see how it affects the game play and go from there.

It also gives individual treasure amounts for monsters killed. Use it or don't, but I always love monsters having at few coins in their pocket.

HeroQuest Treasure for Labyrinth Lord
odinist

Postby Malcadon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:51 am

I have done soooo many house rules, and added soooo many additional props to my old set, it is almost a while other game!

One of the biggest projects I'm working on, is to make a set of random Even Cards for the game. At the bigining of the turn, the DM rolls a die, and there is a 1-in-6 chance that an Event Card is drawn they could effect one random Hero, or the whole group. Here is the card art so far.

Oh, and I also helped translate the cards from the Japanese HQ set (which can be downloaded here - mind you, they have been altered for the US or UK system). They made so many changes to the game, big and small, it is almost a different game! It even has rules for level advancement, but it amounts to gambling for extra Body Points. I like the western editions for their own thing (both are different in lot of little ways), but I like them more then Japanese HQ, as they are not as tightly structured with everything and thus, being more open-ended.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby Vlark » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:44 pm

odinist wrote:I've added/changed a bit to the first couple of modules. The links should bring up the most current version from my Google Drive.

I can't get the link to the first module to work. Can you verify the URL?
Vlark

Postby odinist » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Vlark wrote:
odinist wrote:I've added/changed a bit to the first couple of modules. The links should bring up the most current version from my Google Drive.

I can't get the link to the first module to work. Can you verify the URL?

Google Drive seems to be having issues... As soon as I can verify I'll post fresh links. I have up through the fifth quest finished now, and a small write-up on the area of my campaign world where I've set them.
odinist

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord