Writing a game advert

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Writing a game advert

Postby elf23 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:00 am

Hey everyone,

As I think I mentioned previously, my gaming group has gotten a bit on the small side recently, with people having less time available, and players coming and going. I've tried putting "looking for players" posts in various local / national RPG forums, without a huge amount of success, so I thought I'd also try putting out some posters in local gaming shops. I asked a couple and they both said it's cool, so now I just have to come up with a poster! I've never done this before, and never really even seen posters advertising other people's games, so I'd appreciate any tips or advice anyone might have. Here's what I was thinking of, roughly:

• Big title: Dungeons & Dragons (working on the theory that that name is more of an attention grabber than Labyrinth Lord, and that perhaps people are less likely to want to join a game that they've never heard of. Plus the name D&D is immediately evocative of a lot of the right stuff, where LL isn't necessarily. That's my theory at least!)
  • "Bi-weekly game looking for players"
  • An attractive and somewhat old-school looking picture. Probably something by Pete Mullen or Erol Otus, as I love their kind of out-there style. (I'm thinking of the image on the inside cover of the Dungeon Alphabet, for those who have it.) I want to choose an image that is representative or evocative of the game -- exploring dungeons and encountering weird creatures! :D
  • A bit of text giving some brief (and hopefully inspiring ;)) info about some of the interesting / unique features of the campaign.
  • Practical details: when / where / who.
  • Contact info, etc.

I'm erring on the side of rather not explicitly mentioning the term "old-school" or anything like that, as it might be off-putting to people, and in a way I don't think it's that relevant. Though I suppose it is perhaps worth writing somewhere that we're using an older rules set (i.e. not D&D 4 or 3.5 or whatever). "Traditional" might be a good word rather than "old-school" perhaps? I don't know, it's a tricky topic... If I, for example, saw an advert for an "old-school D&D game" I'd be phoning them up straight away! But I imagine (perhaps I'm wrong) there are players out there who would immediately dismiss anything described in that way, without giving it a chance.

Any thoughts / suggestions greatly appreciated! Also if anyone has any other tips for finding new players, please do tell.
elf23

Re: Writing a game advert

Postby 3llense'g » Sun May 08, 2011 2:46 pm

elf23 wrote:[list]
[*]"Bi-weekly game looking for players"

I assume you mean every other week. Others might assume you mine twice a week though. There's some ambiguity to that term. :)
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby elf23 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:36 pm

3llense'g wrote:I assume you mean every other week. Others might assume you mine twice a week though. There's some ambiguity to that term. :)

Ah yeah, good point. Maybe I'll just put "Regular game looking for players", and then use the full phrase "we play once every two weeks" in the 'small print' at the bottom...
elf23

Postby Mark » Mon May 09, 2011 1:12 am

You have a great starting concept. Personally, when I've looked at adverts, I want to see explicitly what systems they are planning. You are correct that Dungeons and Dragons will grab the eye. Everyone knows the term. Perhaps you should also include a blurb describing the current campaign or planned campaign.

I question how many people even visit gaming stores these days. I don't have a better suggestion.
Mark

Postby Blood axe » Mon May 09, 2011 2:26 am

How about a picture of a chick in a chainmail bikini? ;)
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby elf23 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:49 am

Blood axe wrote:How about a picture of a chick in a chainmail bikini? ;)

:D Haha, of course, what was I thinking!? I guess just that image with the word "D&D?" written on one breast and my phone number on the other... Haha...

Mark wrote:I question how many people even visit gaming stores these days.

Yeah I wonder as well... But I guess at least enough people to keep several shops alive in this city. I just wanna put something out there on the off chance that someone both sees and digs it!

Mark wrote:Personally, when I've looked at adverts, I want to see explicitly what systems they are planning.

True. Ok I think I'll write something like "traditional D&D using the Labyrinth Lord rules" in the "more info" section.
elf23

Return to Open Discussion