Movies that inspire a game setting

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Re: Movies that inspire a game setting

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:34 am

That would be a lot going on, but would be fun to check out for sure!
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Malcadon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:20 am

My games usually focus on the strange and the exotic. I tend to gravitate to old, campy sci-fi then on the hard-edge Mad-Max style that is so popular in PA fiction.

I like to produce psychedelic environments, retro-styled technology, with endless ruins getting smothered by alien vegetation. A number of classic movies - mostly from the '70s - that really works on this style. Going below the jungle-covered ruined surface one finds a mega-dungeon of old tunnels, arcologies, and buried building complexes and domed cities. Such environments tend to look like old haunted spaceships (both in that glossy retro Jetson's style, and that industrial Aliens style), infested with all sorts strange inhabitants. Their are tons of sci-fi shows that inspire this environment.

The civilization the ruins are built-in is styled on classic sci-fi shows of a clean, optimistic nature, with elevated buildings, pneumatic pedestrian tubes, flying cities, towering elevators that stretch out to a man-made orbital ring. The people dress in the sort of outfits like a mix of classic Star Trek, the Jetson's, Things to Come, Barbarella, and avant-garde runway fashion. Basically, it was a high-tech utopia with a lot of spectacular things, but something minor and petty made things go from a '60s sci-fi love-in, to a '70s High Anxiety, then it all goes Planet of the Ape-shit.

I like to scout for strange high-tech items to fill-out the artifact list, but I avoid using the some descriptions, because I like to keep the mystery with finding old technology by using generalized descriptions of shapes (like "a doughnut", "a teardrop" or "a [letter or number]") and random additions (like "on a stick" "with knobs" or "with a plunger"). Think "three seashells" from Demolition Man.

Mutants (of any type) are strange and freakish looking. There are a ton of cartoons, B-movies, and comic books that have strange aliens and mutants to ripoff wholesale.

Most communities are primitive, but there are some well-off city states. Such cities tend to be xenophobic, mildly decadent, and generally unsympathetic. They play-out like a typical city one finds in a sword & sorcery fiction, with taverns, gambling parlors, slave-markets, opium dens, and lots of shady types. Ruthless, power hungry warlords are not unusual. Eloi communities (think Logan's Run) are rare, and their discovery invites slavers do to their value on the slave-market.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby gentleman john » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:46 pm

A few years ago I "discovered" a science-fiction series called Raumpatrouille Orion - a classic German science-fiction series from the early 1960s. While my German isn't that good, I bought the DVDs and watched them. Originally I fancied adapting it as a background for a straight science-fiction game: something like Traveller, Spaceship Zero or even Starships and Spacemen. I still do. However, with the ongoing discussion, it might make an interesting background for a MF game.

While most of the action takes place in space onboard the titular spacecraft, the situation on Earth is that the humans live in underwater cities. The surface of the Earth (or what we see of it) appears to have undergone some disaster - presumably an attack by the Frogs (an alien race). If this was taken to be the case, then it could be that there are tribes of mutants wandering the surface, along with Frog soldiers, leaving the inhabitants of the underwater cities as a beleaguered race of PSHs trying to leave the planet for a (possibly more) hazardous universe.

Hmm. So many ideas. So little time.
gentleman john

Postby Atomic Ray » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:19 am

gentleman john wrote:A few years ago I "discovered" a science-fiction series called Raumpatrouille Orion - a classic German science-fiction series from the early 1960s. While my German isn't that good, I bought the DVDs and watched them. Originally I fancied adapting it as a background for a straight science-fiction game: something like Traveller, Spaceship Zero or even Starships and Spacemen. I still do. However, with the ongoing discussion, it might make an interesting background for a MF game.

While most of the action takes place in space onboard the titular spacecraft, the situation on Earth is that the humans live in underwater cities. The surface of the Earth (or what we see of it) appears to have undergone some disaster - presumably an attack by the Frogs (an alien race). If this was taken to be the case, then it could be that there are tribes of mutants wandering the surface, along with Frog soldiers, leaving the inhabitants of the underwater cities as a beleaguered race of PSHs trying to leave the planet for a (possibly more) hazardous universe.

Hmm. So many ideas. So little time.

Very cool...I had not heard of this one...I am going to seek it out.

http://www.orionspace.de/ww/de/pub/english.htm

“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Atomic Ray » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:19 am

Malcadon wrote:My games usually focus on the strange and the exotic. I tend to gravitate to old, campy sci-fi then on the hard-edge Mad-Max style that is so popular in PA fiction.

I like to produce psychedelic environments, retro-styled technology, with endless ruins getting smothered by alien vegetation. A number of classic movies - mostly from the '70s - that really works on this style. Going below the jungle-covered ruined surface one finds a mega-dungeon of old tunnels, arcologies, and buried building complexes and domed cities. Such environments tend to look like old haunted spaceships (both in that glossy retro Jetson's style, and that industrial Aliens style), infested with all sorts strange inhabitants. Their are tons of sci-fi shows that inspire this environment.

The civilization the ruins are built-in is styled on classic sci-fi shows of a clean, optimistic nature, with elevated buildings, pneumatic pedestrian tubes, flying cities, towering elevators that stretch out to a man-made orbital ring. The people dress in the sort of outfits like a mix of classic Star Trek, the Jetson's, Things to Come, Barbarella, and avant-garde runway fashion. Basically, it was a high-tech utopia with a lot of spectacular things, but something minor and petty made things go from a '60s sci-fi love-in, to a '70s High Anxiety, then it all goes Planet of the Ape-shit.

I like to scout for strange high-tech items to fill-out the artifact list, but I avoid using the some descriptions, because I like to keep the mystery with finding old technology by using generalized descriptions of shapes (like "a doughnut", "a teardrop" or "a [letter or number]") and random additions (like "on a stick" "with knobs" or "with a plunger"). Think "three seashells" from Demolition Man.

Mutants (of any type) are strange and freakish looking. There are a ton of cartoons, B-movies, and comic books that have strange aliens and mutants to ripoff wholesale.

Most communities are primitive, but there are some well-off city states. Such cities tend to be xenophobic, mildly decadent, and generally unsympathetic. They play-out like a typical city one finds in a sword & sorcery fiction, with taverns, gambling parlors, slave-markets, opium dens, and lots of shady types. Ruthless, power hungry warlords are not unusual. Eloi communities (think Logan's Run) are rare, and their discovery invites slavers do to their value on the slave-market.

Sounds like a blast...I kept picturing a slightly, just slightly, more serious version of Futurama with the Earth being trashed :)
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby gentleman john » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Atomic Ray wrote:Very cool...I had not heard of this one...I am going to seek it out.

http://www.orionspace.de/ww/de/pub/english.htm

Looks like you managed to find at least one website in English, then!
gentleman john

Postby Atomic Ray » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:55 am

Indeed...my google fu is strong!

:D
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Previous

Return to Mutant Future