2 questions about boats

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

2 questions about boats

Postby tumblingdice » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:01 am

1. Does anybody have, or know where I can find, floor plans, or at least decent pictures, of boats used during the middle ages? I need to figure out what a river boat with a crew of 8 rowers and 2 sailors might have looked like. How long was it? How wide? How high up out of the water? Was it designed just for rowing, or did it also have a sail? etc.

2. Movement rates for boats are given both for per round, and per day. Is a day's travel 8 hours, 24 hours, or something else?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Re: 2 questions about boats

Postby kipper » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:49 am

1. According to the LL rulebook (p16) the River Boat is 20'-30' long, 10' wide, and sits 2'-3' deep in the water. It has no sail (it doesn't have a 'sailing' movement rate on p57). As to a picture, I did a quick search myself but didn't find anything appropriate.

2. If we extrapolate 60'/round, that's 3600'/turn. 36 statute miles is ~190,000'. 36miles @ 3600'/turn = ~53 turns of travel, or ~9hrs. If the rowers need to rest on average 1 turn in 6 (and the boat doesn't move during those times) it would be ~10.5 to 11 hours of travelling. (Note the rule for resting doesn't appear in the wilderness travel section, but it's standard for PCs travelling in dungeons). So just for the sake of rounding and making everything nice and neat, I'd assume it's a 12-hour travelling day with rest breaks included in that time.
kipper

Postby greyarea » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:46 am

This is why I have my PCs fly coach...
greyarea

Postby tumblingdice » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:44 pm

Thanks, Kipper! Somehow I missed all that while I was looking through the book. DM considers scheduling appointment with eye doctor. And 12 hours make sense. Unless they're Melnibonean slaves jacked up on drugs, they can't row for 24 hours. Likewise an 8-hour workday is too cushy for a medieval mindset. Twelve hours it is! :D

Heh heh. Coach...
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Return to Open Discussion