Basic Fantasy RPG

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Basic Fantasy RPG

Postby Blood axe » Fri May 13, 2016 5:47 pm

I hate to say it, but Im starting to really like the Basic Fantasy RPG. It has some things I like- fixes Dwarf/weapons, no spells for clerics at Level 1,etc. It has race/class separate- yet keeps the old Moldvay/red box feel. One thing i do not like is the Armor Class= hit roll. Im old school and like THACO and the hit chart. i like plate mail = AC3, not AC17.
Im still a huge Labyrinth Lord fan. I may just use a combo of the two , taking (what i think) are the best parts of both.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG

Postby merias » Fri May 13, 2016 6:19 pm

It is a very well done system. Chris Gonnerman's open-source development method is I think partly responsible. He makes the raw documents freely available for anyone to submit fixes or improvements, yet he is very careful not to change anything that underpins the system mechanics. After years of this small, constant refinement, a lot of it in response to normal players playing their games, you are bound to get a nicely coherent system. And don't feel bad, I love LL also, but our gaming group plays a different game almost every time we meet. It's all fodder for house rules!
merias

Postby Blood axe » Fri May 13, 2016 8:57 pm

Thanks Merias.
I have never took a serious look at Basic until now. I see it it's on 3rd edition. They even have the " Chaotic Caves". I dislike pdfs, so I bought print books on LuLu. They are due to arrive this weekend. I got 6 books for $20 total ! They only charge " at cost". Wow, great. For $4 for the core book, I can afford to give a few away.
I still will tweek the rules a bit.
Moldvay red box set ( magenta? ) is my favorite. It's what I learned on in the early 80's.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby kjc » Mon May 16, 2016 2:07 am

merias wrote:...our gaming group plays a different game almost every time we meet. It's all fodder for house rules!

Yeah we do! :D
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Agrippa » Mon May 16, 2016 9:47 pm

I've really come to like Basic Fantasy RPG and see it as both a decent game and good framework for some homebrew ideas of mine.
Agrippa

Return to Open Discussion