[2e] save checks related to abilities?

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

[2e] save checks related to abilities?

Postby DwDStudios » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:41 am

I know constitution lists an adjustment to Radiation/Poison saves (but does this apply to all "Poison or Death" saves, or just those having specifically to do with Poison?) but do any other abilities affect any other saves?

Initially, players at my table assumed the character sheet was drawing an obvious correlation that Energy attacks have something to do with STR, and poison/death saves have somethign to do with CON, etc. because of the way the character sheet is laid out. I dissuaded them from that notion by drawing the more obvious one as an example... INT shouldn't apply to Radiation saves since CON specifically details it.

Anyway - the dark lines on the character sheet connecting the abilities directly to the saves, although attractive, are perhaps unintentionally confusing.
DwDStudios

Re: [2e] save checks related to abilities?

Postby daddystabz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:50 am

Anyone know the answer to this one? I got from my reading it is only for Poison saves.
daddystabz

Postby Goblinoid Games » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:14 pm

The position of the saves on the character sheet is just cosmetic, in a similar position as in Mutant Future. The save adjustments are like in MF, so only CON influences saves, otherwise saves are level based as in Labyrinth Lord. Each ability lists which modifier(s) it has.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby daddystabz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:51 pm

So Con affects all saves, no just against poison.
daddystabz

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:58 pm

daddystabz wrote:So Con affects all saves, no just against poison.

No, just poison and radiation.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby mindshadow2k » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:06 pm

A little off topic, but my players and I are looking at a conversion of the save table (which is actually really easy) to make it conform to a single roll mechanic of roll lower or equal to the number. This makes it so that Ability checks, Skill checks, and Save checks will all use the same mechanic. I think that it just kind of makes it a little easier to have the single mechanic, of course I suppose I could be missing something by doing so :).
mindshadow2k

Return to Starships & Spacemen