An Interlude

greyarea's Labyrinth Lord game

Moderator: greyarea

Re: An Interlude

Postby Spanningtree » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Dieter - Mage

Dieter will chat with his comrades: I think we should wait for Einar to be resurrected before talking to Herr Gruber about further employment... I would like him to look over the papers we found in the mountain. There might be something on those papers that might change our minds. What think ye?

Dieter will make himself comfortable at the inn, he would like to copy some of the scrolls to his spell book and will pay whatever costs are needed to do this (ink, quill).

OCC: Potion of heroism deducted from sheet for Grimes.

OCC: Dieter would like to copy "auditory illusion", "stinking cloud", "dispel magic" and "suggestion" to his spellbook if possible, let me know.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby greyarea » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Dieter can successfully copy those spells.
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Dieter - Mage

OCC: Spells copied and load-out update.
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:45 am

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes agrees with waiting to have Einar review the papers. "I'm in no hurry, mates. Almost got killed by a bunch of lizards, a fire breathing statue, a giant crab, and a nasty dragon. I need a rest."

Grimes will relax, taking in the sights about town, and trying to pick up on any rumors that might be about. He'll use his 400 gold to pay the porters, fix his gear and cavort about town.
badams30

Postby Craigers07 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:07 am

Furuk - Fighter

Furuk nods at Dieter in agreement.

"I'm in no hurry to see that old fool Gruber again. I'm going to enjoy some real food and rest at the Rat and Pig!

Furuk joins Grimes in getting his weapons and armor repaired. Upon completion of that, he will head to the inn for a meal.
Craigers07

Postby greyarea » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:14 am

The party rests in the inns, enjoying the sites and sounds of the city.

You meet up with Vismund Cygnus, who had met his untimely fate in the labyrinth in Skull Mountain. He is doing well enough, although still recovering from being raised from the dead. He brings Aiden around for a while, who dubs you all The Rescuers. This makes Vismund laugh. He eventually explains that The Rescuers was the name of a pair of mice he once had as companions, so named because they gave him food and drink and went for aid one time when he was trapped. He finds it funny that you should all be compared to mice and calls Grimes "Bernard" and Dandy "Miss Bianca" for a while before it is clear that his teasing had gone far enough. Aiden starts calling you "The Saviors" after that, which brings scowls from others in the town as only Saint Garth is deserving of that name in some opinions.

Upon hearing you slew the dragon, Vismund furrows his brow. He ponders whether a gold dragon ought to be slain next to restore balance. He declines to join the party, asked or not, as he sees his work being for other purposes now that he has tasted adventure and death.

You are all invited to the Ceremony of the Raising of the Dead which is lead by Father Dobrun. Einar is on a specially prepared altar at the Shrine of Saint Garth of the Good Earth. The Shrine is packed with people, both town residents and farmers and their families from all around Sir Taris' territory. The service is highly ordered, as a service of Law tends to be, with specific incantations by the cleric and refrains from the people. When the actual Ceremony takes place, you swear that Father Dobrun himself begins to glow. He lays his hands on Einar and power passes from one man to the other as the Raise Dead spell is cast and Einar slowly rises. It is indeed awesome to behold.

When you speak to Einar after the services, he is very very weak. He thanks you for carting his body all of the way from the "bowels of the mountain" as he puts it. He asks about his things and if there was a hoard the dragon kept. When the final tally of gold is given, he smiles. He soon needs rest but tells you he will be glad to meet you for whatever you need the next day. He is staying at the rectory of the Shrine for now while he recovers and will for the next few days. You can visit him there. He asks that you bring him some of the loot so he can see it and perhaps pick out an item or two for himself.

That evening you eat especially well, in celebration of the return to life of your companion. You hear only one rumor that seems out of place: there has been more ogre activity in Sir Taris' territory than anyone can remember in the past score of summers.

That evening provides good sleep and excellent dreams.

Actions?
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:19 am

Dieter - Mage

Good to see you back among the living. Luckily you were intact after the dragon run in to be brought back. Dieter will say in jest showing him some of the dragon teeth. Hey we found some papers down below, could you take a look at these and see if they make any sense to you? Dieter will produce the papers.
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes will go visit Einar, taking him his freshly laundered cloak, and the rest of his gear - cleaned and once more servicable. "Thanks for letting me use the cloak. It got us out of a more than one pinch on the way out of that place."

Grimes will enjoy the hospitality of the quiet, nicer inn, resting and taking in the sights.

OOC: We prob need to do a final division of the loot so that's all taken care of and we can move on...
badams30

Postby greyarea » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:00 pm

You visit Einar at the rectory. He is still too weak to go out yet, but clearly glad to be among the living. The day is cool and the window lets in not only the morning light but the chill as well. Einar sits on the edge of his bed, the rough woolen blanket (it looks much less comfortable than what you had at your inn rooms) snug about his shoulders. He has the simple wooden table drawn up to the bedside and is sipping a brothy soup when you come in. He smiles seeing his old companions.

The cell in which he is recovering is very modest and very small. Other than the bed and table, there is a chest in the corner with some of Einar's belongings draped over it, as well as a simple three-legged stool which you surmise goes with the table. It now has a pitcher of water nestled in a still-damp bowl atop it and a damp towel draped over it lazily. There is a Holy Symbol of Law on the wall, a token to Saint Garth, by the looks of it, and the small window letting in the light and chill. A glance out the window shows the small courtyard between the rectory and the Shrine.

Einar is glad to have his Elvish Cloak back. He claims, I have felt naked without this old cloak, and immediately clasps it around his shoulders. He tests it, bringing the hood up and disappearing for a moment before reappearing with a cheshire grin. He lights up seeing the dragon's teeth and says he hopes his sneak attack on the scaled beast helped in its defeat. He is again thankful for bringing him back to be raised from death.

He takes the papers from Dieter, and looks them over. He reads them more thoroughly and then looks up at you. It appears these are incomplete, but they are plans for retaking territory. These documents are written in a form of Thieves' Cant that is different than what I learned when training for the craft, but similar enough that I can make it out. They call themselves the "Haberdashers" or the “Obscuring Hat” or the "Old Hat" or maybe those are competing clans, it's unclear. Perhaps those are competing gangs. A Bars Tolvik is claiming leadership but there is something here about a Cooper being the leader as well. Isn't Cooper the one we killed in the Skull Mountain? Anyway, the plans speak of trying to retake Wolford once they are reestablished at the Skull, and building up their ranks once again. There is something about a Gint Grüber who has been a pain in their side. It seems he is incorruptible and there are questions as to assassination or somehow getting rid of him. There are references to some of the town guard being on the take and some figures for what that costs, but also plans on threatening the Captain of the Guard's family if he continues to refuse bribes. It looks like there are also bribes to a few business owners but that could also be protection money or some sort of threat. It's unclear.

That said, I wouldn't stay at The Pikeman if I were you. That seems to be a place where they get their information from. And I don't know where you got these papers, but since they seem loosely still active, I have a feeling that they are still around even if both Cooper and Bars are dead. And as you know from my still being here, dead doesn't mean what it used to mean...

As I read more, it looks like this list of names are either targets for watching, assassination or something. I recognize Father Dobrun, if I'm reading this correctly. If not, it's one of his acolytes. And a few other names here: Krebs, Stern, Vernon the Younger, Jayson, Rosco, Kurdt, and Kartasia. If this is correct then this is an enemies list.

Hmmm. These are dark Chaotic folks. Not a gang I would have associated with, that's for sure. My guild had a code against assassinations. "Protection" is one thing, murder something else entirely. Perhaps its time to found a new guild here in Wolford...

He ponders that for a few seconds, his eyes getting that thousand-mile stare while he works things out in his head, and then continues pouring over the papers. There seem to be plans for the Skull as well. These are diagrams of the labyrinth on the second level, with planned traps. There are also plans for somehow blocking off the moving platform down to the lizardfolk guardhouse, calling them too much of a ... hmmm, either threat or throng, to handle properly. It says something about the great cavern below leading to places unknown as well, so all access should be cut off.

He also looks at the paper recovered from the Ogre. (read languages, d100, 76, SUCCESS) This looks like something else entirely. Perhaps trolltongue or ogreish or troglodite? Anyway, it says something about meeting a "Vera" at a new location, somewhere in these parts. It talks about an abandoned house and a cave, but I'm not sure those are the same place. Perhaps a cave under a house? It amazes me that these dunderheads can write at all much less make any sense. Of course, I've heard of Ogre Magi so if they can work magic, it makes sense they can read and write. Or at least some of them can.

He looks up at you. I'm afraid that's about it. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Actions?
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:41 pm

Dieter - Mage

Many thanks Einar, now you please relax and get better. Taking the papers back from him he will turn to his comrades: Should we pay a visit to Gruber and let him know the news. I for one think we should but... with a shrug. Thoughts?

OCC: Dieter is going to pinch the ring +2 since no one else has claimed it! Let me know if anyone has an issue!
Spanningtree

PreviousNext

Return to Skull Mountain