Wild speculation welcome!

For discussion of the new official Pacesetter horror game!

Re: Wild speculation welcome!

Postby Blood axe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:30 pm

I just picked up a pile of cheap Chill rpg books in anticipation of CryptWorld. I figured I could use them for inspiration & ideas.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Goblinoid Games » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Blood axe wrote:I just picked up a pile of cheap Chill rpg books in anticipation of CryptWorld. I figured I could use them for inspiration & ideas.

Yep, plus all the old Pacesetter stuff is fully compatible. I think the Paizo store has a whole bunch of modules very cheap.

http://paizo.com/companies/pacesetterGames

There's also a lot of stuff at Noble Knight Games.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Agrippa » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Should I assume degenerate, morally bankrupt aristocrats and plutocrats who hunt monsters for sport are also possible organization ideas? Something along the lines of Ashwood Abbey for instance. Likely for NPCs only.
Agrippa

Postby Goblinoid Games » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:21 pm

There isn't one like that in the book, but the ones in the book are only options. Feel free to use them, or just get ideas from them, as needs dictate. Since there is no assumed setting you could create your own organization like that and run with it.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby austrodavicus » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:14 am

Congratulations to you both, Dan & Tim, for yet another addition to the GG suite of games. Great news. :-)
austrodavicus

Postby Mangus » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:26 am

Congrats, Dan! Chill was one of my favorite games from back in the day, though I logged a hell of a lot more hours with the Mayfair edition than the original Pacesetter. I will be picking this up for sure.
Swords Against the Outer Dark -- Where Sword & Sorcery Gaming Meets Cthulhiana and Yog-Sothothery

Facebook / Twitter
Mangus

Postby Agrippa » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:34 am

Goblinoid Games wrote:There isn't one like that in the book, but the ones in the book are only options. Feel free to use them, or just get ideas from them, as needs dictate. Since there is no assumed setting you could create your own organization like that and run with it.

I can understand that. I just figured an organization like the Abbey might be an interesting addition to any Cryptworld campaign. Imagine a society of wealthy monster hunters motivated not by fear, a sense of justice, grief or even greed or hatred. Instead they're guided by baser nihilistic urges, sadism, lust and thrill seeking. A covenant of monster hunters so debauched and depraved that no good or decent person could endorse them. Basically yet another group of monsters for the PCs to fight. :)
Agrippa

Postby seneschal » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:08 pm

And/or a not so subtle warning to the player-characters of what they could become if they give in to their baser natures while fighting the bad guys. Maybe one or more of the depraved monster-hunting team used to be the PCs' mentor or hero.
seneschal

Postby Keps » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm loving this everything. Cheers all around to everyone involved in bringing this game out. :D

sniderman wrote:(Cryptworld)...the overall theme is not limited to supernatural threats. (i.e., ghosts, ghouls, vampires, and such...) You want biological monstrosities spawned by Science Gone Horribly Wrong? How about Creatures From Beyond The Stars that view humanity as something to be subjugated...or consumed? What about mutant cannibals lurking in the sewers and caves, or psychotic chainsaw-wielding slashers lumbering toward the PCs?

This is all fantastic stuff. This is how I used CHILL back-in-the-day and this is how I prefer my horror. Strictly Cultist investigating with average joes (is) seems boring.

Agrippa wrote:Should I assume degenerate, morally bankrupt aristocrats and plutocrats who hunt monsters for sport are also possible organization ideas?

I used to play CHILL with a competitive organization to S.A.V.E. I called a "kill squad". They were Japanese, funded by a private collector of all things Evil Way. My CHILL group would be in the middle of an investigation and a truck-load of black-suit & shades wearing Japanese gentlemen would cruise by toting Uzis. They would be anywhere a rumor of an Evil Way occurrence looking to bring a piece of the beast back to their master. They always left plenty of collateral damage.
Keps

Postby Agrippa » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:20 pm

The difference between your "kill squad" and Ashwood Abbey is over collateral damage. To the Abbey collateral is part of the point to the hunt for them. Your kill squad sounds way too professional for the Abbey.
Agrippa

PreviousNext

Return to CRYPTWORLD