Hoard / Treasure Utility

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Hoard / Treasure Utility

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:57 am

I tossed together a utility for generating Hoard class treasures over the last few days. I am certain it isn't bug free and I'm not sure how to output the data in a friendly format. I included all the magic items from AE. If that makes a difference for you, I wouldn't use it.

Feel free to poke at it Here

If something is borked or you hate it, fire away. I have thick skin.

Edit: Former site was: http://www.moosh.net/utilities/LLTreasure.php (still available) but the new host should be much quicker.
Last edited by Mark on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Re: Hoard / Treasure Utility

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:29 am

This is awesome, Mark! I'll sticky the thread so people can find it easier over time. If you're taking requests I have some ideas. I've always wanted to be able to randomly generate a list like this, say up to 100 instances so I could have sheets of pregenerated treasure for each type. Then maybe roll a d00 or a d20 for a shorter list to select pregenerated treasure. Same for treasure in a dungeon that is unprotected. Would there be any way to set this up to select how many instances you want to generate it, and export it to a text file? Maybe have each instance numbered too for rolling to randomly select one? If this is too much extra work no problem, just thought I'd throw the idea out there.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:34 am

I actually had a "count" field in the original design but I took it out for the moment. I was going a bit cross-eyed trying to validate everything within the tables. That's an add-on I can easily do and I'll try to accommodate any requests. Simple additions would be to generate spells on spell scrolls. I wasn't sure where a generator would cross the line with the license so I limited it to making sure people would have to own the book to determine certain elements.
Mark

Postby knightvision » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Made a link ---> The Link
Website/blog: Knightvisiongames.com
KVG produces Labyrinth Lord adventure modules. Check out the blog and Twitter feed to stay connected.
Twitter: @kvgames
knightvision

Postby Geldor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:03 pm

Very nice! I like the ease of use.
Thank you for sharing this !
(I added it to my "Cool Links" section of my blog)
Old Gamers never die... they just become skeletons in someone else's dungeon!
Aeternal Realm of Sylvaeon ---> http://sylvaeon.blogspot.com/
Geldor

Postby Blood axe » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:32 pm

One word- SWEET!!!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby greyarea » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Very nice.
greyarea

Postby Wizardawn » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Mark wrote:If something is borked or you hate it, fire away. I have thick skin.

When people make tools like this...to help in their "own" gaming...they can't lose. Sharing it with others is just a selfless gift on top of that. It is really cool when we make these tools/generators because they help with putting a game together so much quicker than the hours we spent in the 80's. The main excuse of why people stop gaming is "no time". These tools diminish that problem. Also, any printed generator (like Dan is suggesting) also lets us keep the laptops away from the gaming tables. Anyway...now that I stepped off my soap box...

How about an option to combine the gems/jewelry values into a total lump sum? I do this on my generators only because it is quicker to read off to the players that you find a pile of gems worth 5,000gp...instead of listing them one by one. Some like the prior...that is why I would only suggest the "option".

Also...maybe for fun (and if you have the Dungeon Master's Guide for reference)...have each gem/jewelry list a type, like Ruby 10gp, Sapphire 50gp, Diamond 100gp. Some players like to know exactly what they found, but this suggestion is merely cosmetic.

Lastly, what do you use to have the list compile at the bottom without refreshing the page? AJAX?

- Djeryv
Wizardawn

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:10 pm

knightvision wrote:Made a link

I'm a new guy. URL's appear to be disabled for me. Otherwise I would have.

djeryv wrote:AJAX?

Yes, it's AJAX. More specifically the xajax framework. JQuery is the big player in the AJAX world but xajax seemed to be lighter and did everything I needed. Takes a bit to get used to the framework model but it can be very useful for certain applications such as generators. No need to reproduce the form on multiple pages and handle all the layout yet again.

Good ideas on the enhancements.

Everyone else, thanks for the feedback.
Mark

Postby ThrashLibrarian » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:40 pm

I stumbled across this earlier today when in appeared in my blog roll. Great stuff. I played around with it for 15 or 20 minutes and will definitely use it for game prep in the future. Thanks for sharing!
ThrashLibrarian

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord