The Ryth Chronicles: AT the dawn of Role Playing Games.

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Postby Eldrad » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Has anyone ever seen the old Newsletters from the 70s? If not here is how it was in the 70s with this group. WHAT is inspiring is the huge amount of organized play and different DMs.
Give it some leeway as they were playing and making up their world and "how" to play as they went. There was NOTHING else to compare too for inspiration like we have today.

Huge pool of players and multiple DMs.

Could someone organize a community like Ryth today?

http://www.risusmonkey.com/2011/06/ryth ... -1977.html

http://www.risusmonkey.com/search/label/Ryth
Eldrad

Re: The Ryth Chronicles: AT the dawn of Role Playing Games.

Postby YHWH » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:36 am

I've skimmed that.

It's an ideal set up. Multiple DMs using a persistent setting with a large, rotating group of players. I think Blackmoor and Greyhawk were similar.
YHWH

Postby sniderman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:53 am

Back in high school, we had something similar: The Guardians. It was a long-running Villains and Vigilantes campaign. There was about, say, a dozen rotating players with 4 GMs. Picture a show such as Justice League (or, back then, The Superfriends). So you had a rotating pool of supers all stationed Guardian HQ, so PCs could be brought in/taken out depending on player schedules. With the rotating GMs, everyone got a chance to play -- even the GMs. And as a supers game, nothing was too gonzo or unusual, so you could thwart a bank robbery one day, repel an alien invasion another, or deal with a comedic super-nuisance ala Ambush Bug/Impossible Man/Mr. Mxyzptlk on another depending on the current GM's tastes in adventures. new players could be "recruited" and sent on a training run, and the experienced players were team leaders ala Bats and Supes.

It was a great system. I really miss it sometimes.
sniderman

Postby Eldrad » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Anybody read over these yet?
Eldrad

Postby Blood axe » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:38 pm

sniderman wrote:Back in high school, we had something similar: The Guardians. It was a long-running Villains and Vigilantes campaign. There was about, say, a dozen rotating players with 4 GMs. Picture a show such as Justice League (or, back then, The Superfriends). So you had a rotating pool of supers all stationed Guardian HQ, so PCs could be brought in/taken out depending on player schedules. With the rotating GMs, everyone got a chance to play -- even the GMs. And as a supers game, nothing was too gonzo or unusual, so you could thwart a bank robbery one day, repel an alien invasion another, or deal with a comedic super-nuisance ala Ambush Bug/Impossible Man/Mr. Mxyzptlk on another depending on the current GM's tastes in adventures. new players could be "recruited" and sent on a training run, and the experienced players were team leaders ala Bats and Supes.

It was a great system. I really miss it sometimes.

Sounds great. I dont have any V&V experience. But I have been thinking of an Icons supers game.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby petespahn » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:33 pm

We did this with a Sliders-type game that eventually morphed into a game we designed and published called Dreamwalker: Roleplaying in the Land of Dreams. We worked for a Dreamwalking team and would rotate GMs, but everyone else would keep the same characters. Made for some interesting insights, because everyone had a different take on the dream missions and goals. It's available for free download here if anyone is interested. I've thought about doing yet another system conversion, but the game never seemed to gain enough traction.

http://www.pigames.net/store/product_in ... cts_id=381
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Return to Open Discussion