Random monster making tables.

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Random monster making tables.

Postby Agrippa » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:18 am

Thinking back to when I opened my thread on monster hunting/training campaigns I'd like to try something. I want to set up a random monster generating table. Now I'm trying to link certain abilities, along the lines of MF mutations, to each type. So what mutation would be automatic with what types, and what mutations would merely be likely? Like all flying monsters getting complete wing development and both psychic and ghost monsters have a 50% chance of possessing psionic flight.
Last edited by Agrippa on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Agrippa

Re: Random monster making tables.

Postby Wizardawn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:18 am

I tried this once for my Sci-Fi Enemies Tool but was a bit overwhelmed. Also I really don't like adding mutations to monsters as it is just something else to look up when you want to use the monster in a game. I would rather write up the "abilities" or "powers" within the monster description anyway...then you won't be confined to the mutations in the book and can come up with your own variations or completely new ones just for that particular monster. So even though the Sci-Fi Enemies Tool will make you some random robots...it will also make mutants for you but they are simply the whacky kind (combinations of 2 present day creatures). Good luck with the mutation mapping though. I know it can be pulled off...it just takes some extra work.
Wizardawn

Postby Agrippa » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:55 am

Well I was thinking more along the the lines of it being a random monster companion, as I mentioned here. They'd take up the same place as normal henchman. I'd also use my hit points house rules if I ran a game like this. I hope this clears things up.

P.S.

I included an updated random monster file in my first post.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:16 am

New updated version up with more detail on some of the types. If anyone else feels crazy enough to help me out on this, please feel free to say so.
Agrippa

Return to Open Workshop