Non-Apocalyptic Settings for Mutant Future

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Non-Apocalyptic Settings for Mutant Future

Postby Malcadon » Sun May 19, 2013 5:11 am

By the title, I mean settings that have all the high-tech elements of Mutant Future, but without the apocalypses. Or it might be a pre-apocalypses setting akin to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Both of this settings have been brewing in my head for sometime now, and I finally managed to muster all the ideas and concepts into words. I don't even have a name for them yet! So here they are:

The first idea I had was a human-centric world (no mutants), with cyberwear that works like mutations. The cyberwear would be less Shadowrun/Cyberpunk 2020, and more Cyborg 009 or Inspector Gadget. Thrusters in the souls of the feet, mechanical arms popping out of places, machine guns fingers to form a deadly Nazi salute, literal "knee mortars", flamethrowing farts, and weaponized boobs are the sorts of cyberwear you would expect from this setting. It maybe a little cartoony, but it is designed to play like an old-school ('70s-ish) cyberpunk anime with a mix of lighthearted humor and dark, gritty drama. Much of the focus is action and espionage. Despite the noted examples, the technology and setting design should look like old-school sci-fi, with modern gear (including buildings, vehicles, etc.) being treated as antiques of the 20th century. There would need to be an extensive list of cybernetic upgrades, with price list and notes on availability and legality.

Unlike the normal rules, a basic human would need to be rolled-up like a Mutant Humanoid (with d6 per point of CON and no boosts to ability scores) but without any mutations. Humans would be weak, but they can augment themselves with a wide range of cyberwear. Most people would have little or no cyberwear, as people still value their own flesh, and usually consider getting them out of health or to replace a lost part. Spies, soldiers, athletes, and ruthless criminals on the other hand put a lot of value on them. As such, people who have been heavily augmented would face a degree of stigma or complications (like going through security). Another problem of cybernetic is high cost and availability.

Androids would still be used, but unlike the normal rules, player character androids can still have Hit Points (1d6 per CON). This is to allow people to become full-cyborgs without losing all their HP for a static score (as they are considered physically an android), and hit points are meant to be an abstract means for a fictional character to survive. (Think of all the action movies you seen where the hero is shot at by a lot of guns, but is never hit, save for a dramatic "Its only a flesh wound!") Androids are seen as mere devices, to be used and discarded as the owner sees fit. Some humans have form bonds with their robots, and this is seen as a sentimental thing. On the other hand, there are people that have formed strong emotional relationships with their "android lovers", but this is really frown down upon.

Transhumans, if used, would be the next generation of humanity. They have been genetically enhanced to be smarter... better... stronger...faster... and they know it! (Think "Eugenics War" form Star Trek) They may not be apparent, or even known by the public. They may even be feared and stigmatized. Rule wise, they are treated like Pule Humans from MF, with d8 per point of CON and boosts to ability scores. They should be rare.

Another idea I had, is a world were a highly used drug (a cure for cancer, cosmetic alteration, or some other beneficial effect) caused everyone to mutate in weird ways. Civilization continued, but the sudden mutations threw everything into chaos, and now (around 2050 or so) it is a socially-stagnated dystopian future. This setting is like Cyberpunk 2020 but without all the cool cyberwear (but differently keep that '80s aesthetics). Governments are corrupt and only serves the whims of their respective mega-corporation. Each mega-corp is a Machiavellian dynasty in itself. They control everything, and everyone who works for them are beholden to them and treated like serfs -- the fear of corporate-exile keeps them inline! The world beyond the gated corporate communities are ether gang-controlled urban warzones or Mad Max-styled wastelands. Despite the time that passed (and mostly do to the chaos of all the mutations, and the collapse of democracy and the free-market), the technology is still fairly modern, but with some advanced tech used by those it power. This is a really dangerous world to live in!

This world is populated by a wide range of mutated humans (and are rolled-up as such). As all mutants look unusual (as desired by the player), the Bizarre Appearance entry in the MF rulebook would actually make the mutant look like a normal Pure Human. The effects of the drug also effected everyone's mental health. As such, every Mutant would have at least one behavioral mutation from the Metamorphica.

There are still pure humans around, but they are rare and prized for their good genes. Many mutants would try to have normal offspring with them (in the not-so-polite way, and there are no shortage of people who would try), and mega-corps offer huge rewards for their capture. The heads of mega-corps are pure humans who are obsessed with their own genetic purity, and actively secure other pure humans to breed with. A pure human is rolled-up normally. Should they take the infamous mutation-inducing drug (whatever name it goes by), that person would become sick a few months after taking it, and would become a mutant in a few weeks (abilities are readjusted, hit points are re-rolled with d6s, and new mutation are rolled).

As an option, there might even be mutant animals who were subjected to the drug. They may even be intelligence enough to play. They would likely be vary rare.

So what do you guys think of them?

If any of you have ideas to enhance whats above, or to throw-out your own idea for a non/pre-apocalyptic settings for Mutant Future, then by all means, post it!
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Re: Non-Apocalyptic Settings for Mutant Future

Postby Agrippa » Sun May 19, 2013 8:06 am

I'll give you the details tomorrow when I'm more lucid but I'll leave you with this. Mutations are caused by magic and are magical in nature. One of these magical causes is divine sponsorship. That can also account for some of the more obvious physical mutations.
Last edited by Agrippa on Sun May 19, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agrippa

Postby gentleman john » Sun May 19, 2013 8:16 am

I have to say that i like the first of your suggestions. A "wild cyberpunk" campaign done in a 1970s anime mode somehow appeals a lot. I can see a lot of opportunities for puerile humour in that one! However, I disagree with the need for a list of cybernetic upgrades. I reckon you should be able to get away with the list of mutations currently in Mutant Future, and just treat those as cybernetics. Given the apparent nature of the setting, I wouldn't worry about the prices or availability. Instead, I would just go with the flow. Sure, you can get an illegal cyber-mod from your local back-alley chop-shop. It will be expensive and you can forget any kind of a guarantee, though!

The second setting is one that I'm not so sure about. I keep seeing it as a genetic version of Idiocracy. If that's the case, then it works for me.

Some ideas of my own:

This one is a kitchen-sink science fiction setting. The galaxy is run by a great bureaucracy that has kept the peace through diplomacy, stone-walling and social inertia for millions of years. As a result of this, there are so many different cultures and races that only the most dedicated bureaucrat can keep track of them all, much less care about them. PCs would generate their characters as mutants, and would be considered representatives of their races. The only restriction would be no humans! Earth is one of the worlds considered to be beneath the notice of the administrators in their crystal spires. Elevator pitch: DR & Quinch meets Yes, Minister.

How about a science fiction dystopia? Earth has been quarantined by its colonies, as it is regarded as a crowded cess-pit. Most of the planet's inhabitants live in domed cities and arcologies, with only a "select few" being allowed into the natural world due to the fragility of the ecosystem. Unemployment is rampant as robots and androids are regarded as much better and cheaper workers. "Cosmetic" genetic engineering is common amongst the citizens of Earth, with more extreme modifications showing up among the criminal classes. Those from the off-world colonies are engineered to survive on their worlds. Elevator pitch: Judge Dredd and The Caves of Steel get together.

Idea number three. A global war has been raging for many centuries between two states on an alien world. Various weapons have been used during the conflict - from primitive bows and arrows to weapons of bizarre science, depending on what is available. The resulting devastation has changed the world's ecology and mutated its wildlife. Some survivors exist in the no-man's-land between the states, but their existence is precarious. Meanwhile, those who live in the cities are subjected to the terrors of military dictatorships, the threat of the draft and the possibility of a final extinction coming at any moment. Characters could be normal humans, mutants, ex-soldiers and all-round survivors. Elevator pitch: Genesis of the Daleks tries it on with The 400 Boys, only to run into Sven Hassel somewhere along the way.

Finally (for this morning, anyway). Genetic engineering of animals has created a number of slave races, which are used by humans for dirty and demeaning jobs. This new underclass is kept under tight control, with any signs of rebellion quickly stamped on. The genetic technology has also made its way out into the human sphere, resulting in bizarre hybrids turning up. Such creations are considered tainted and almost as bad as the animal slaves. The emphasis of the setting would be on the social conlfict between the pure humans, the modified humans and the animals. Elevator pitch: Conquest of the Planet of the Apes gets into bed with TMNT (as written by Eastman and Laird).
gentleman john

Postby knottyprof » Sun May 19, 2013 1:33 pm

I was a fan of Wildcards when it first came out and even though it is more of a super hero genre you could use mutant future rules for a campaign based on the Wildcards world. Jokers would be humans with physical mutations while aces would be humans with mental mutations. Androids could be used as well, either of alien origin or ultra-top secret government R&D.
knottyprof

Postby Agrippa » Sun May 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Magic is very much real and is a fundemental force of nature. But there are areas where latent background magic is stronger than others. With effort one can control the mutations caused by exposure to such potent magic. While there are also otherworldly beings willing to foster mystical powers in their chosen champions. This could even explain mutations like bizarre appearence in some circumstances. In addition their exists numerous non-human species and human sub species with innate magic (mutations and or sorcery). And that not even covering magitech implants (cybernetics). Civilization is not only still in existence, it's thriving, but their are still dangers and horrors lurking out in the world.
Agrippa

Postby bighara » Wed May 22, 2013 12:57 pm

You had me at "weaponized boobs." :lol:
bighara

Postby Malcadon » Thu May 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Mind you, the silliness of the examples are not lost on be, and did not list them to make an outright "puerile" setting, but I added them to maintain the trapping of classic "Japanimation." :ugeek: Much of the examples I noted are from Cyborg 009 and Astroboy. "Weaponized boobs" originated with with the Venus A, form Mazinger Z, which featured it own special ordnance. And in the Cyborg 009 spinoff, 009-1, the Charlie's Angel-styled heroine Mylene Hoffman sports a pair of killer 45s (but that has already been done in the US). And for all that, boob-based weapons are the least embarrassing enchantment to have!?! But that is Japan for you. ;)
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby Grail » Sat May 25, 2013 3:42 pm

I had good experiences running original Gamma World back in the day as a Supers RPG. No reason why Mutant Future can't pick up where that left off. Supers were all Mutant Humanoids, with their Mutant Super Powers. Just make norms have only 1d6 HP and you get a good power level I think.
Grail

Postby Agrippa » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:52 am

You could also try to use MF for a Mons focused setting. Imagine pure human or mutant human trainers with mutant animal companions possessing devestating powers.
Agrippa

Return to Mutant Future