Javelins: ranged only?

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Javelins: ranged only?

Postby aspiringlich » Sat May 03, 2014 5:02 pm

Am I correct in thinking that javelins are exclusively ranged weapons (unlike spears)? They don't show up in B/X, so I consulted the PHB, which has them as being only on the "Hurled Weapons and Missiles" table.
aspiringlich

Re: Javelins: ranged only?

Postby Blood axe » Sat May 03, 2014 5:32 pm

I use them as smaller lighter spears. Combat & thrown.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby kingius » Sun May 04, 2014 11:13 am

I would say ranged only to mimic how they were used in warfare. They were to be thrown, Romans used them in this way and switched to short swords for melee.
kingius

Postby Blood axe » Sun May 04, 2014 1:44 pm

aspiringlich wrote:Am I correct in thinking that javelins are exclusively ranged weapons (unlike spears)? They don't show up in B/X, so I consulted the PHB, which has them as being only on the "Hurled Weapons and Missiles" table.

3rd has the javelin as " a light flexible spear intended for throwing. It can be used in melee, but not well. Since it is not designed for combat, all characters are treated as non-proficient and suffer a -4 on attack rolls"

Id have it do -2 hit.

If you can hit someone with a stick, rock, broken bottle, etc a javelin is still a real weapon and has a metal tip. The picture has it look like a short spear.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Black Wyvern » Fri May 16, 2014 2:46 am

If I recall correctly the pilum was designed with long soft steel shank so that once it was thrown the weight of the wooden shaft would cause it to bend. Which in design was supposed to render shields useless. Hard to maneuver a shield with a couple of ten pound poles wagging around on it. It is kind of a good idea to build in weakness to a missile weapon anyway. If it breaks when you use it they can't pick it up and use it against you.

So with that in mind why not make it a one shot weapon whether thrown or jabbed? Same could work for arrows, bolts, darts. Damn I just put a recovery rule in for missile weapons. Now I am rethinking it.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby bighara » Fri May 16, 2014 12:52 pm

For KISS purposes, I make it ranged-only. The shaft is too light to be used in parrying and stabbing, etc. This isn't necessarily based on historical facts, it's just a game conceit.

That said, if a javelin was the only thing a character had to defend themselves with in a melee, I'd allow it as an improvised weapon with maybe 1d4 damage.
bighara

Postby petespahn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:40 am

I make the distinction in reach. Characters with spears can attack over the shoulder of people in the "first rank". Characters with javelins can't.
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Return to Labyrinth Lord