Back to Daggerford

badams30's Labyrinth Lord p=b-p game.

Moderator: badams30

Re: Back to Daggerford

Postby tumblingdice » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:15 pm

Rory smirks at Jaycee's comments, then with both hands taps the top of the door frame on his way out of the inn.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby badams30 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:44 am

You enjoy your food and then make tracks for the barracks and Sherlen Spearslayer's office. The smell of strong coffee fills the air, and she rises to meet you as you enter. She nods vigorously and says "Fine work, men." She eyes Grinkle with curiosity, and continues. "You have brought no small amount of credit to the town by your actions, and the Duke is very pleased. He's asked me to promote you all. She opens her desk drawer and pulls out three sets of rank chevrons, handing them to Nahin, Rory and Jayce. "Congratulations, Sergeants." And she tosses Marcus a small set of silver rank bars and says "You too... Lieutenant."
She sits down and says "All the pleasantries aside, you won't be responsible for guard duty any more. You are being designated as a special squad. You'll be asked to supervise the men, and to perform such duties, but your days of routine patrol and common duty are done. I need your skills, especially since I am heading to Waterdeep for an indeterminate time to work with the Army on our solution to the recent orc problem, and the Zhentarim threat. I don't know when I'll be back, but if it's for a while, I'd feel better knowing you men are available.

She takes a big drag of coffee from a steaming mug and says "As you may be aware, the north is full of barbarian tribes, most of them north of Waterdeep and Neverwinter. Centuries ago, they used to extend as far south as the Way Inn. Farming settlements pushed them north, and they haven't been seen much in the area in some time. Small pockets of their clans still exist, but until now we thought they were basically few and far between. Seems that there is a clan - the Wolverine clan, about 30 miles north of Daggerford. They live a quiet existence, and they keep to themselves, a real superstitious lot. Well, about a week ago, a Wolverine Chieftan, Mangalore, and a party of 4 of his men came to request an audience with the Duke. With things being what they are lately, he accepted, eager to earn new allies. It seems the Chieftan wants to make a treaty with Daggerford, and has asked the Duke for a favor. He wouldn't tell the Duke, or myself, he stressed that it needed to be men of character and of good. Naturally, I thought of you all. We'd appreciate it if you'd see the Chieftan and listen to his request, assuming he deems you worthy. Whatever he asks of you, you are free to accept or decline his offer, but we'd appreciate it if you showed him every courtesy, and please inform us of the general nature of what you've been asked to do - assuming you make the cut."

She glances up and says "What do you think, gentlemen?"
badams30

Postby tumblingdice » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:01 am

Rory purses his lips then turns to face Marcus. "Well, Lieutenant?" he asks expectantly.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby badams30 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:42 am

Guys? Just waiting for a couple more people to chime in. Thx.
badams30

Postby greyarea » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:41 am

OOC: Missed an update it seems. :oops:

Marcus is stunned speechless with the sudden rank. He doesn't even recall going to OCS.

Once he regains his composure, Marcus says, The Dutybound will be glad to meet this chieftain. I recall a legend of the Wolverines fighting off the Norks who invaded their lands. Even if that was all a fireside tale, I imagine their tribe got their reputation from somewhere.
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Nahin - Elf

Aye, this is something that we can take on. He will look at the rank insignia, smile and pocket it. There is a large contingent of orcs in the local area... what about them?

OCC: On vacation in Montana, my posting might be sporadic. Please feel free to NPC if I am holding anything up.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:36 am

Sherlen nods in approval and says "I figured you'd say yes. The Chieftan will see you this morning at your convenience, he and his men are staying in tents outside the river gate, toward the treeline." She shrugs and says "They prefer it to the confines of the city walls, and the Duke has insisted that we provide a guard for them to ensure they aren't hassled."

At the mention of the orcs, she says with a tone of irritation "Yes, wretched orcs. Shortly after you headed north the orcs have stepped up their attacks on caravans, and we think they are behind the killings at the farming settlements nearby. There are several orc tribes here in the north, but the threat of action from Waterdeep and even our militia has been enough to keep them in line. I fear that they are combining their numbers. Although I know not why. Fortunately for us, up to this point, the orcs tribes hated each other enough to keep them squabbling between each other, and focused less on civilization. It seems possible something or someone has united these things, but for what reason I do not know. That is one reason why I am headed to Waterdeep. The Duke has asked for a dozen Waterdhavian guard to bolster our militia numbers, so I am going north to play nice and put a face to the town. You may be asked to help us once we figure out what is going on, but for now the Duke would prefer you to see what the Wolverines need, and this should push them into an alliance with Daggerford. This is the best use of your talents, and I can't imagine it would be more than a petty errand."
She nods at you all, motioning to the door and says "Glad to see you back. Sorry to send you right back out, but I think you all prefer the action to sitting on the gate or within the walls, don't you? Safe travels. I have not been informed who will be in charge while I am out, but you'll find out soon enough I'm sure."

You can run errands or anything, or go now to see the Chieftan. He is just outside the gates on the river side.
badams30

Postby greyarea » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:59 pm

Marcus suggests they go straight to the chieftain.
greyarea

Postby kjc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:18 am

greyarea wrote:Marcus suggests they go straight to the chieftain.

Jayce - Fighter
"Yeah, let's go! Uhm, Marcus...do I call you Lieutenant, or Sir?" Jayce smiles.
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:36 pm

Nahin - Elf

Aye, the chieftain sounds like a good place to start. Looking at Sherlin: May your travel be safe.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

PreviousNext

Return to Forgotten Realms: Northlands of Adventure