Advanced Mutant Companion out now

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Advanced Mutant Companion out now

Postby Willy Elektrix » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:53 am

I released a Mutant Future supplement called the Advanced Mutant Companion on DriveThruRPG. It's a collection of new rules, mutations, and races for Mutant Future. It expands the character creation and development options quite a bit.

*74 new mutations. These have been organized into random tables with the mutations from the Mutant Future core rules.

*5 new races and 2 revised races. Play as aliens and cyborgs.

*100 backgrounds. The background system is a flexible skill system which encourages role-playing and character development.

*18 feats. Fun abilities like pets, followers, and renown.

*New equipment rules. Give characters something to spend their money on.

If anyone would like a free copy to review on their gaming blog, send me a PM.

Also, I would love to hear any opinions. Especially any ideas on how to expand the Advanced Mutant Companion further.
Willy Elektrix

Re: Advanced Mutant Companion out now

Postby Blood axe » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:51 pm

Im a big Mutant Future fan- Im going to check this out. thanks.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Agrippa » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Well I have a game/general fantasy blog. The problem is I don't think my reviewing the Advanced Mutant Companion would do you any favors. I don't think it's well known enough, or read very much at all. So unless I get a decent in my blog's readership, reviewing your work would be a waste of my time and both of our resources. I'm sorry, but I'm just useless right now. Wish I could help though.
Agrippa

Postby Willy Elektrix » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:20 am

Blood axe wrote:Im a big Mutant Future fan- Im going to check this out. thanks.

Great! Thanks!

I had a free work-in-progress of the Advanced Mutant Compendium posted here for a while. I've done considerable adding, testing, and rewriting since then. I'm eager to hear your ideas.
Willy Elektrix

Postby Willy Elektrix » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:23 am

Agrippa wrote:Well I have a game/general fantasy blog. The problem is I don't think my reviewing the Advanced Mutant Companion would do you any favors. I don't think it's well known enough, or read very much at all. So unless I get a decent in my blog's readership, reviewing your work would be a waste of my time and both of our resources. I'm sorry, but I'm just useless right now. Wish I could help though.

It's all good. If you're passionate about Mutant Future, then maybe you'll feel inspired to the Advanced Mutant Companion a download sometime. If you ever do, then let me know what you think!
Willy Elektrix

Postby Blood axe » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:44 pm

I got it, $2 is a bargain. I only skimmed it, but like what i see so far.

I kind of like this version of Cyborgs:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2161&p=60282&hilit=cyborg#p60282

But I'll have to read over your version. I like Cyborgs to have the option for a "weapon arm".

Great stuff.
Blood axe

Postby Willy Elektrix » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:39 am

Thanks for checking it out. The Advanced Mutant Companion is perpetually in development and I'm open to making changes.

Blood axe wrote:I kind of like this version of Cyborgs: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2161&p=60282&hilit=cyborg#p60282

That is a pretty cool (and detailed) version of cyborgs. It is interesting how they get their own mutation lists. Perhaps there is something to that...

I tried to keep the races I created pretty true to the material in the core book. As such, cyborgs are not drastically different from how androids or mutants work, and are somewhat a combination of both races. Then again, the similarity between the races is somewhat of a shortcoming of Mutant Future (i.e. mutant animals are mutant humans with a natural weapon), so maybe I should try to make them more unique.
Willy Elektrix

Postby Blood axe » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:13 am

Willy Elektrix wrote:Thanks for checking it out. The Advanced Mutant Companion is perpetually in development and I'm open to making changes.

Blood axe wrote:I kind of like this version of Cyborgs: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2161&p=60282&hilit=cyborg#p60282

That is a pretty cool (and detailed) version of cyborgs. It is interesting how they get their own mutation lists. Perhaps there is something to that...

I tried to keep the races I created pretty true to the material in the core book. As such, cyborgs are not drastically different from how androids or mutants work, and are somewhat a combination of both races. Then again, the similarity between the races is somewhat of a shortcoming of Mutant Future (i.e. mutant animals are mutant humans with a natural weapon), so maybe I should try to make them more unique.

I understand where you are coming from- keeping the character types unique , yet true to the main book. I guess for Cyborgs certain "mutations" can be explained with technological implants. Ability Boost or Body adjustment can be some kind of drug or adrenalin injectors, Force screen is a force field projector, Mental Phantasm a hologram projector, Energy Ray can be some kind of weapon implant. To me, the "reskinning" of the powers can make all the difference, even with only a slight (or no) rule changes. Though a few more new powers wouldnt hurt either.

One thing that has always seemed to miss the mark for me in MF was the plant characters. Free Movement should be an automatic "power" . Plant characters should be like the other character types, except instead of using the Physical mutations list they should use Plant mutations. The same Mental list is fine. If the player really wants to be an immobile sentient plant carried around- then fine. I had a player be a mutated dog, not humanoid, no speech, no hands- just a mutant dog. But the basic character should be humanoid, unless decided otherwise.
Blood axe

Postby Willy Elektrix » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:33 pm

Blood axe wrote:One thing that has always seemed to miss the mark for me in MF was the plant characters. Free Movement should be an automatic "power" . Plant characters should be like the other character types, except instead of using the Physical mutations list they should use Plant mutations. The same Mental list is fine. If the player really wants to be an immobile sentient plant carried around- then fine. I had a player be a mutated dog, not humanoid, no speech, no hands- just a mutant dog. But the basic character should be humanoid, unless decided otherwise.

I've always treated Free Movement as an innate power of the plant. In fact, I think the plant mutant chart has an asterisk that explains that Free Movement is for NPCs, PC are presumed to have it. I don't have the book in front of me, but I'm almost certain this is written somewhere. Essentially, how I use Mutant Plants is just like Mutant Animals, but instead of 1d4 physical/1d4 mental mutations, they get 2 plant/1d6 other (or whatever is in the rules-as-written).
Willy Elektrix

Postby Blood axe » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:25 am

If you like Mutant Future - THEN GET THIS NOW! Great stuff to add to any MF game. Awesome.

Make it available in print. Maybe add some art and cryptic alliances. (to get a bigger book!) ;)

Thank you for making this. :D
Blood axe

Return to Mutant Future