Initiative

For discussion of the fantasy RPG WIZARDS' WORLD.

Initiative

Postby LouGoncey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:39 am

Could someone please help me understand initiative -- it is the only rule I am not grasping from the entire rulebook.
LouGoncey

Re: Initiative

Postby Spectral Hand » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi Lou,

The initiative system is based on a time count. Each combat turn is ten seconds long, and initiative determination is about identifying which of those seconds your attack will take place. Here's how it works:

Melee weapon: Roll a d10, that's the second you go on. In other words, high rolls are bad because they go later.

Readied missile weapon: Fires on second 1, then again at intervals determined by the weapon's firing time. For example, a readied Long Bow (firing time = 3) would go off on 1, 4, 7, and 10.

Non-readied missile weapon: Same as above, but the first shot goes at the end of the weapon's firing time. For example, a non-readied Long Bow would go off on 3, 6, and 9.

Spell: You can begin casting a spell on the first second of the turn, and normal casting time is equal to the spell's level. Thus, the spell goes off on the second equal to the spell's level plus 1 (e.g., a 4th level spell goes off on 5). If the caster is able to cast more than one spell per turn (see the table on p. 15), they can begin a new spell immediately when the previous one ends. For example, if a high level wizard cast a 4th level spell, then a 3rd level spell, then a 2nd level spell, they would go off on 5, 8, and 10.

I hope that helps. :)
Spectral Hand

Postby LouGoncey » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:19 am

it helps a lot thanks -- but how does movement come into it, or do you just forget about movement.
LouGoncey

Postby Spectral Hand » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi Lou,

Integrating movement into attacks is where things get a little complicated. We wanted to have a natural time flow instead of the format used in a lot of RPG systems where characters effectively stand still for extended periods of time (on other characters' initiative) then instantaneously (on their initiative) move long distances.

In a rarely seen "no melee" environment, movement should occur as it occurs. In other words, if I have a MV of 20 (that's my combat movement speed per turn), I should move 2 meters each second in the direction of my choice.

The next most simple case is one character moving toward another character who is not moving. In this situation, assuming both characters planned to melee each other, each would roll initiative and add the movement time to the roll. If the sum is 10 or less, the attack takes place on the indicated second. If the sum is over 10, the character misses his/her action this round. So let's say you are moving forward to attack me and I'm standing in place preparing to attack you on arrival, that we are 10 meters apart, and your MV is 20 (thus it will take you 5 seconds to reach me; you would round up the time it takes to move if the numbers weren't as convenient as in this example). We each roll d10+5 as our initiative. If you roll a 3, your total is 8 so you attack me on the 8th second of this turn. If I roll a 7, my total is 12. Because 12 is more than the 10 seconds I have in the turn, I don't get to attack you this round.

If we're both moving toward each other, the principle is the same but both of our movement speeds apply. Let's say we're trying to fight again and that we're 20 meters apart but both of us are moving forward. Your MV is 20 and mine is 10. Thus, our collective approach speed is 30, which means that it will take us 4 seconds to meet (10/30 = 3.33 seconds, which rounds up to 4). We both roll d10+4 as our initiative, and it is resolved the same way as in the previous paragraph.

Let me know if that isn't clear or if you have more questions.
Spectral Hand

Postby LouGoncey » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:38 pm

it makes perfect sense now -- thanks a lot.
LouGoncey

Postby Spectral Hand » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Glad to help! If any other questions come up, let me know and I'll do what I can to clarify. :D
Spectral Hand

Return to WIZARDS' WORLD