vs. Aliens

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

vs. Aliens

Postby seneschal » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:22 am

It all started with Dreamworks' Monsters vs. Aliens, pitting pastiches of famous movie monsters against, well, you know. Then there was Cowboys vs. Aliens. The Avengers movie was essentially superheroes vs. aliens. Now Netflix is airing a series entitled Wizards vs. Aliens, in which Harry Potter types oppose the obligatory invasion.

So, what cross-genre match-up do you think would make an exciting campaign?
seneschal

Re: vs. Aliens

Postby ArcherSix » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:55 am

I've been thinking of throwing nazis with tanks against the players in my Lab Lord game, just haven't done it yet. Should be fun
ArcherSix

Postby seneschal » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Just make sure you give your comparatively low-tech fantasy heroes a way to win against WW2 era bullets and shells. A single tank crew would be a dragon-level threat. Don't throw an entire battalion at them. Also, despite its castle-smashing destructiveness, the tank has a limited ammo supply and needs lots of fuel to keep going. Assume it won't be able to resupply while in the heroes' dimension. That should make its operators at least a bit more cautious; they have to get back to the dimensional rift (or whatever) in order to refuel and reload, unless they plan to seize one stronghold then cow the others via threats and intimidation.
seneschal

Postby ArcherSix » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:46 pm

Yeah, talk about resource management!

I was thinking that nazis would be going through dimensions looking for artifacts like in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
ArcherSix

Postby greyarea » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:00 am

I'm reminded of Harry Turtledove for some reason...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwar_series
greyarea

Postby Gregorius21778 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:03 pm

I remember a piece of Japanese trash-cinema that featured "Ninjas vs. Aliens" (well, one Alien). If you find the movie... DON´T watch it, unless you want a bad movie :)

I personally think that "Werewolves vs. Samurai" would make for an enjoyable action-oriented, horror-themed play. The Samurai would be faced with an enemy using guerilla tactics on them while being a formidable foe in one-on-one combat. Finding the true enemy among the majority of the populace could become a problem. After all, if the Samurai act to wanton, they will see villagers and citizens turning against them (as already happened in the real history).
Sincerely: Gregorius21778
################################
If you like my stuff, please visit my blog.
I am furthermore looking for reviews of my products.
Gregorius21778

Postby madooeiei » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:02 am

A single tank crew would be a dragon-level threat.
madooeiei

Postby Gregorius21778 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:16 am

Another thing "..vs Aliens" that cinema introduced us to a long while ago was the (british?) movie "Attack the Block".

The plot of the movie could as well be summed up as "hoodlums vs aliens". The conflict is not the large scale invasion here, and the aliens aren´t using any advanced technology. It is more like a large pack of invisible-in-the-dark, predatory apelike creatures attacking a highrise building in the bad parts of a city at night.

This -could- be turned into a one-shot adventure, so. The GM would need to define clique inside the highrise (the player characters), the people living in the different levels of the high rise and the attackers. The game would see the attacker coming in at the lowest point, while the PC try to fend them off while fleeing upwards, trying to rally enough of the other behind them. Despite the fact that nobody will believe them at start, some are on bad terms with them for some reason or the other, and don´t make me start about the thugs running a hidden meth lab in the 7th floor. You know, those guys who used to knock the sh*t out of you if you come to "their" storie of the building while not being one of their courier runners. Hey, Sammy is one of their couriers, right? Let´s get up to the 8th floor and see if the 14 year old is home. ;)

"Pacing" would be the name of the game here for the GM, as the characters need to be kept under pressure, with groups and waves of new attackers and problems coming in. Can they fend off the aliens long enough for some help actually showing up?
Sincerely: Gregorius21778
################################
If you like my stuff, please visit my blog.
I am furthermore looking for reviews of my products.
Gregorius21778

Postby AgileDaddy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:36 pm

ArcherSix wrote:I've been thinking of throwing nazis with tanks against the players in my Lab Lord game, just haven't done it yet. Should be fun

Puts me in mind of Paizo's "Reign of Winter" adventure path where the heroes stumble into 1918 Russia during World War I. This might give you some inspiration:
http://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventurePath/reignOfWinter

Enjoy. :)
AgileDaddy

Postby seneschal » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Teenagers vs. Aliens in classic monster movies such as the original The Blob and Invasion of the Saucer Men. And Invaders From Mars was Kids (or a kid) vs. Aliens.
seneschal

Next

Return to Open Discussion