Shotguns -n- Saddles old school wild west RPG

This forum is for ads for products/services/etc. Publishers are free to post ads here or in their own forum section, if applicable. Ads and/or announcements for free resources are also welcome in Open Discussion.

Shotguns -n- Saddles old school wild west RPG

Postby grubman » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:54 am

Shotguns –n- Saddles
By David Bezio

author of X-Plorers & The Phoenix Barony setting for LL

Cowboy up! Old School, New rules! Wild West Role Playing!
OD&D inspired, but taken in a different direction. NOT a Boot Hill retro-clone, or a retro clone at all, but filled with rules that will feel familiar.

RPGnow: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/115779/Shotguns-%26-Saddles
Drive Thru: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/115779/Shotguns-%26-Saddles

grubman

Re: Shotguns -n- Saddles old school wild west RPG

Postby grubman » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Hey, just so you know, this is released under the creative commons for supplements, settings, and adventures! So all you creative types can do your thing with no muss or fuss!
grubman

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:19 am

Grubman....that name rings a bell. Any other games you helped make?

I just bought Shotguns n Saddles, I was a big Boot Hill fan, and I like Wild West games in general. Im partial to the 3d6 system myself, as Ive been brought up on Basic D&D. (13-15 +1, 16-17+2, 18+3) But this game looks excellent so I gave it a shot.
As soon as I get a bit of free time, I'll read over the rules & roll up a character.
Maybe I can post a sample character here to show people what its like? (with your permission!)

Thanks! :D
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby grubman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:21 am

You definitely have my blessing! The opinion of people who buy and play the game is more important than anything.

In addition to X-plorers and the Phoenix barony I also wrote wild west cinema...but I like this western game better. I also have a bunch of free games and adventures floating around on the internet for a multitude of games. I have a few writing and art credits too. If the name grubman is the one that rings a bell, it's probably just from stuff I've done on forums. I haven't been very active the lady year or so...but I'm back.
grubman

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:45 am

I skimmed the rules, so any mistakes or confusion are on my part. Character creation only took 10 minutes at most. Character creation is simple.
Roll attributes, then background, figure move/defense, hp, alignment, money and character details.

There are 12 attributes, I rolled 3d6 , 12 times, in order.
Athletics 16
Booklearning 6
Fighting 16
Frontier 12
Grit 12
Horsemanship 7
Perception 10
Presence 10
Shooting 11
Stealth 14
Strength 11
Quickness 7

I rolled Outlaw for my background, past. That gives me a further +1 on Fighting, Grit, Horsemanship, Stealth.

My special ability is "Hit 'em Hard!" Gives +1 to damage rolls.

Defense Im not sure about, since Im unfamiliar with the combat yet. 10+ level + Quickness.
So 10 + 0 level beginning character + 7 Quickness = 17. Im not quick, so that's probably not a great score.

Movement is good , because my high Athletics score so a 6".

Hit points are by your Grit score, I roll a d8. But I usually choose to give starting characters max HP at start for first HD, so 8 Hit Points.

Money is 3d6 , I get $140. Outlaws must get paid pretty well.

You start w/ clothing. (that's good!)
I buy several items, but cant afford a horse & saddle yet.

knife
2 short barreled pistols
100 rounds
pistol belt
bedroll
canteen
trail rations
compass
gun cleaning kit
pocket knife

And I still have $96 to spare!

Alignment is cool. You pick a "hat". Black hat- bad guy, Brown hat- neutral, average citizen type, White hat- good guy!

Im choosing Brown hat. My background is Outlaw. Im thinking a reformed criminal, he want to change, but it takes time. That checkered past follows you.
I just need a name & a few more details, fill out my character sheet, & Im done!
Blood axe

Postby grubman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:58 am

cool. only one thing to mention...the 3d6 you roll is only to determine your starting attribute score (-2,-1,0,+1,+2...and further modified by background). The 3d6 isn't the score itself.
grubman

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:11 am

grubman wrote:cool. only one thing to mention...the 3d6 you roll is only to determine your starting attribute score (-2,-1,0,+1,+2...and further modified by background). The 3d6 isn't the score itself.

Ok, I get it. So stats would be 0,-1, +2 etc.
So is the bonus for background (like Outlaw) added to the dice roll or to the "bonus"? Im thinking the bonus- so if I had a Fight of +1 and a +1 for Outlaw, my Fight would be +2.
Blood axe

Postby grubman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:23 pm

you got it exactly...so attributes will be a -2 to a +3 like you are more used too :).
grubman

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:35 pm

So my Defense would be 9 if I had a quickness of 7 ? Quickness -1. Defense 10 -1 quickness = 9.
Blood axe

Postby grubman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:44 pm

yep...and defense equates to AC. Fighting or Shooting + level is your to hit bonus. Familiar rules just done in a way to cover more ground in less space...at least that was the design goal.
grubman

Next

Return to Advertisements