Adding Evocation-like powers to magic weapons.

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Adding Evocation-like powers to magic weapons.

Postby Agrippa » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:40 am

I was wondering about how anyone here would translate the idea of Evocations into Labyrinth Lord. Maybe limiting use of Evocations from most magical weapons to fighters only and tying the power that can be drawn from the weapon to the wielder's level. Any thoughts on this?
Agrippa

Re: Adding Evocation-like powers to magic weapons.

Postby kingius » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:22 pm

If it was a one off sword then it could work.
kingius

Postby Agrippa » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:01 pm

kingius wrote:If it was a one off sword then it could work.

What do you mean by this? What exactly is a one off sword anyway?
Agrippa

Postby petespahn » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Agrippa wrote:
kingius wrote:If it was a one off sword then it could work.

What do you mean by this? What exactly is a one off sword anyway?

I'm assuming a sword that has a magical effect that is only usable once. The concept seems similar to Shadowrun 2e's poorly named fetishes. They were little items that stored an effect and were used up once the effect was activated. They were easier to create than permanent magic items. Kind of like how potions are. It's an interesting concept for LL. Might make a good article for BtL. . .
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby petespahn » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:12 pm

Agrippa wrote:I was wondering about how anyone here would translate the idea of Evocations into Labyrinth Lord. Maybe limiting use of Evocations from most magical weapons to fighters only and tying the power that can be drawn from the weapon to the wielder's level. Any thoughts on this?

On this, to me it all depends on how much bookkeeping is involved. If it's something like magic missile were you get an extra missile every x levels that would be ok I think. I like the idea of class-restrictive magic items anyway.
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby Agrippa » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:36 pm

I'm thinking that if you want to go the Exalted 3e route in LL or similar games then divide the evocation item's powers into three ranks, low (Emerald), medium (Sapphire) and high (Adamant). The relevant class levels, fighter, cleric, thief, dwarf, ect., determine the highest rank of evocations you can use and the number of evocations you can prepare per rank, up to four each at most. Each evocation comes from the weapon, armor or miscellaneous item, but it's functions are limited by the wielder's own potency and are fueled by the wielder's power.

From the link to the Exalted 3e excerpt:

I kind of like to imagine Volcano Cutter looking like a giant khopesh, just made from red elemental jade.
Agrippa

Return to Labyrinth Lord